Show speed in units of "km/minute"

Show speed in units of "km/minute". 

a-i) I see this as a more intuitive and useful unit since it gives you a sense of how many km's you can travel in a certain time period in relation to enemy km-stated-positions.  

--------------------------------------

Uncertain of 'legality' or programming-possibility of these:

a-ii)  This could also be implemented on your own minimap showing you how far you could travel at your present speed, it could even look like a region showing the maximum distance you could reach taking into account the limitation of your ship's specific turning radius, etc. 

b) You could even apply this to some of the mini-map mods that show the line of travel for a ship you're aiming at.  It could apply the start/stop/reverse data, (read speed of each ship? that legal?) and then show visually with a red line on top of the white line how far along that they're going to be in a minute at their present speed, kind of how torpedo-view works. 

So there could be options for red or colored "line" and "region" type potential travel reach shown on minimap. 

c)

***ADDITION***

Minimap Running Calc of Distance & Time-to-Point shown as part of the mouse cursor using present location as zero-point:  It would be a running calculation that updates quickly so you can see exactly how far away any point is in relation to your present location.

Edited by noobtatokun
addition; related mod concept

No takers?  Any critique of this concept?   You have to admit that "knots" don't mate with often seen "km" over ships in the interface.   You can't easily or readily make the conversion from knots to km/hour to km/minute (minutes being key here since we're bounded by short battles).  Just seems it would be an intuitive and slightly more useful measure knowing how far you'll go on the map with the 5km grid on the minimap. 

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

I'd prefer if they changed the ranges to yards, that way you'd know exactly how many nautical miles to your targets (2000 yds = 1 nm), speed is fine the way it is IMO.

Nautical Miles and NM-per-time could be another choice within a mod like this.  You could have your preferred rate of speed and distance with this.  Knots just seems arbitrary and lacking usefulness other than that it comes out to nice round numbers (20-25-30-etc).  But thinking to yourself that you're going "quarter/half/full speed" isn't helpful.  Right here you could rather easily understand that, for example, you're within 7km of another BB and want to keep enough space, you'd be better able to gage this with km/min than with knots.  A rate of speed of "grid-per-minute" could be used, too, for enemy distance, as well (big chunkin' it!)

So the idea behind this is squaring off units so they meaningfully interface with eachother.  Km/s would be too granular so km/min would get you right about someplace useful when comparing your own speed to a target's distance away as well as their own assumed/known/perceived speed.  Knowing where you or an opponent with X-speed will be on the minimap's grid in a minute or "half that" or "twice that" as quick mental calculations would allow; it'd become second nature; consider this in regard to AP being more effective at a certain distance, so for timing purposes.   But with Knots...you can't really intuitively gage how far you'll be able to travel in a certain amount of time.  If you can measure a distance to a landmark with your reticle or the minimap's grid, you could tell if you'll be able to reach that point in x amount of time.  I still don't think I could tell anyone how far I'd be able to travel, for example, in 2 minutes, or how long it would take to go 4 km around the edge of a called out island.  I'm thinking this could tighten up coordination.

***ADDITION***

That said, here's a new mod idea: In the minimap, allow for your cursor to show distance and time to reach the location of your mouse while moving it.  It would be a running calculation that updates quickly so you can see exactly how far away any point is in relation to your present location.

Sorry for wordiness, I'm just thinking things out and trying to be extra clear; no offense/condescension/etc. meant.

Edited by noobtatokun
On 1/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, Iceman said:

You already have nm per time, it's shown as the ships current speed.  32 kts is 32 nm (64,000 yds) per hour or a little over 1000 yds/min.

So a mod would just state that calculation explicitly.  Isn't this what mods are for?  If we just said "nah it's fine the way it is"...no one would make mods because we're just supposed to figure one thing or another out or remember everything....

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:47 PM, noobtatokun said:

So a mod would just state that calculation explicitly.  Isn't this what mods are for?  If we just said "nah it's fine the way it is"...no one would make mods because we're just supposed to figure one thing or another out or remember everything....

On 1/10/2019 at 1:20 AM, Iceman said:

You already have nm per time, it's shown as the ships current speed.  32 kts is 32 nm (64,000 yds) per hour or a little over 1000 yds/min. 

So here's what would show as the speed if set in units of km/min instead (with ridiculous mental math in NM/hour->yards/min shown next to it, cuz yards=m, yannow):

40 knots: 1.23467 km/min  (forget it, yards and nautical miles are some bs, u gotta be trolling)

35 knots: 1.08033 km/min

30 knots: 0.926 km/min

25 knots: 0.771667 km/min

20 knots: 0.617333 km/min

15 knots: 0.463 km/min

10 knots: 0.308667 km/min

5 knots: 0.154333 km/min

Reasoning being that I want to know how far I can get in the next minute towards an enemy which has **KM stated above their name**, and matches don't last an hour so let's shift the unit to something useful instead of arbitrarily "nautically themed" (aesthetics mods over utility mods???? really?)......  Kinda bugs me how this intuitive utility was brushed off with a recommendation to "calculate it in your head".  Mods are mods for a reason, right?  To do things like this, right?  

***A mod could go one step further and show above the enemy ship how much time it would take to reach them at the current speed***  That might make for a juicier mod. Get all your programming testes on swole.

Google can do it, just add it as a speed-unit choice mod.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=QhmsXIb3B8fZjgSsx5CoDw&q=convert+knots+to+km%2Fmin&btnK=Google+Search&oq=convert+knots+to+km%2Fmin&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30.100.5600..6700...1.0..0.200.2200.4j18j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10j0i22i10i30.rX1mRfCdWUk