"No Duh" PSA #2: How to Avoid Team Killing

For the second installment of my "No Duh" PSA series, I will be covering Team Killing, how to avoid it, and what to do if someone is trying to team kill you.

How to avoid accidental Team Kills:

First thing's first. Sometimes, you accidentally team kill an ally. However, it is avoidable. The easiest way to avoid Team Killing is to pay attention to your surroundings. Occasionally look around your tank, check the mini-map, etc. Not only will that make sure that you're not flanked by enemies, but it will also help you see any allies that may be trying to drive past your gun.

Also, don't drive in Sniper Mode. That is a literal example of tunnel vision, which will make it extremely difficult to notice your own scouts and mediums driving by.

In addition, if someone is face-hugging a tank, don't shoot unless you have a clear shot at the enemy, and don't risk hitting the ally. Remember - if even a small part of your aiming circle is displayed over an ally, then there is a chance that you might hit him/her.

How to avoid being Team Killed:

Pay attention to where you allies are pointing their guns. If the gun appears to be locked on target, don't drive past it unless the ally just fired a shot (and has a somewhat long reload). Otherwise, simply drive around the ally.

In addition, avoid face-hugging enemies that are being shot at from all directions. This will only put you directly into your ally's line of fire, and there is a significant chance that your snipers or artillery may end up hitting you.

If someone tries to Team Kill you:

DON'T SHOOT BACK! After the ally shoots you 3 times, he will turn blue and receive a ban. If someone begins shooting you, don't shoot back. Let them earn a ban.

Also, add the player to your Ignore List (Ctrl + Right click on a player's name, then press Ignore), save the replay (Enable Battle Recording in Settings), and send it in to Customer Support (https://na.wargaming.net/support/Tickets/Submit).

Saved replays are found within the following directory: C:/Games/World of Tanks/replays

If someone is blocking your way:

Add the player to your Ignore List, and send in a ticket to Customer Support. If the ally is preventing you from getting anywhere, you have five options:

• Load an HE shell, and shoot the ally once in his tracks. This will immobilize him and allow you to move on.
  • Ask an ally to load an HE shell and shoot his tracks.
  • Wiggle around the ally; figure out a way to get around him.
  • Lead the ally that is blocking your way to enemy fire. It sounds mean, but if he's doing his all to stop your team from winning, it would be best if he got destroyed. Lead him to the enemies, and let them take care of him for you.
  • Pretend to go AFK. Trolls try to annoy other players. If you pretend to go AFK, then the troll will not receive the kind of response that he wants; thus he will most likely leave.

Regardless, DON'T try to team kill the ally, don't cuss in chat, and don't shoot his tracks more than once.

Also, remember: If you shoot at an ally, you risk a ban. Shooting an ally once is usually forgiven by the server; sometimes it doesn't even yield a fine. This is why I say load an HE shell and shoot the tracks of the ally who is blocking your way. You won't risk a ban, and it will immobilize the ally; thus allowing you to escape... as long as you did it once, and once only.

If an ally is being circled by an enemy:

Remember the ranges that you're shooting at, and the type of ammunition you're shooting with. If you're in an artillery, don't shoot at any enemy nearby an ally unless it is the ally's last hope of survival.

Also, if you're shooting high caliber HE shells, such as when in the KV-2, make sure that you will hit the enemy; otherwise you greatly risk destroying the ally, or at least dealing splash damage to him.

In addition, remember that your shell takes time to reach the enemy if you are sniping at range. Take this into consideration when aiming your shot. Try to ensure that you aim slightly ahead of the enemy so he will drive into the shot. However, if aiming ahead of the enemy would require pointing your gun directly at the ally, don't do it!

If an ally is circling an enemy:

Here are a few images that demonstrate where you are safe to shoot, where you should be cautious whilst firing, and where you should avoid shooting in certain scenarios: (Green is safe to shoot, yellow is be cautious [especially if the ally is moving], red is a "don't shoot zone". The green star is an ally, red star is an enemy, and the blue triangle is you.)

PSa04B3.png 

g5cJdcB.png

pVjL1mM.png

MrmI9Uo.png

UzkzTfx.png

Additional Information:

There is a known glitch where your bullets may exit your gun barrel at a 45 degree angle if you just finished rotating your turret whilst driving your tank at a high speed. There are two ways to avoid shooting shots at strange angles due to this glitch:

• Enable Server Reticle in your Game Client's Settings
  • Don't shoot immediately after rotating your turret at a high speed. Give the gun an additional half a second, up to 1 second, and you will most likely eliminate the possibility of a strange shot.
  • Upvote 1

Might also add the obvious SafeShot mod, since it's in Aslain's pack and greatly helps to avoid a lot of accidental team damage.

Personally, I don't have a use for it very often but it does happen to trigger every now and then.

What's more, it actually prevents you from rage-shooting others as well and displays a message in chat, that let's your allies know when they might be in the way of your shot.

Might also add the obvious SafeShot mod, since it's in Aslain's pack and greatly helps to avoid a lot of accidental team damage.

Personally, I don't have a use for it very often but it does happen to trigger every now and then.

What's more, it actually prevents you from rage-shooting others as well and displays a message in chat, that let's your allies know when they might be in the way of your shot.

So SafeShot does more than prevent you from shooting destroyed tanks? Interesting...

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

I LOVE the SafeShot mod! You can select where it only keeps you from shooting wrecks, but checking the no-shoot-the-ally box has saved me numerous times. Especially with long distance shooting. IF you need to shoot an ally in the tracks it can be done, but you have to lead them and let them run into the shell.  But be careful, one ally I did that to caught on fire and burned to the ground from full health and I got banned for an hour. (If it would of happened to me it would of cost me 20K silver for my auto extinguisher...lol) once there was an ELC bothering me so I pushed him off of an embankment and he slid into the water, broke his track, then drown;  I got banned for an hour for that one.  SafeShot has saved me ALOT of silver when running my SU-14-1 as it only carries 16 rounds and has a one minute reload time,  so I only load the Gold HE, and at 8K silver per round you don't want to be wasting rounds on freshly killed wrecks! (or allies)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.