In installer, the preset dropdown is problematic

When you first start the installer, it seems the focus is on the preset dropdown.

Twice now I have started scrolling down with mouse wheel (thinking I'd scroll down the whole window) and end up switching between presets - obliterating my carefully selected settings. I end up having to redo all my settings, which takes a while.

This is very annoying, and I think at minimum the focus shouldn't be on the dropdown in the beginning. Preferrably selecting presets should be made more difficult - maybe open a new window where you can select preset, click on that and the installer asks if you really want to remove your previous settings.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

I would also like to see this changed.  The work around if you accidentally scroll first, is to just exit the installer without saving any changes and you can restart it and all your old settings will still be there.

This is how the installer works currently, I have tried to make it better before, and it worked well, but not for everyone :( So no solution for now.

Hmm, there's two good ways to change this and it should be relatively easy, I would think, and I don't think it would cause anyone any problems.

1) Change the default focus to the window title bar.  I tinkered with the Glade dev tool one time, and this kind of change was easy in that, but I don't know anything about what's involved here.

2) Ideally, also change it so that when scrolling through the option list and then scrolling back to 'custom', what was listed previously is reloaded, including any user changes after the initial load.  I mean, the listing and changes to it are still in memory, or a temp file, it's just that right now the scrolling action auto loads installer defaults.

If someone wants to load defaults, you could add a default button, so when they have selected an option from the menu, they just click that button and can start from scratch.

... The work around if you accidentally scroll first, is to just exit the installer without saving any changes and you can restart it and all your old settings will still be there. ...

Thanks for the tip! Now I know what to do should it happen again - as long as I remember not to panic!