Get serious, get SSD.

Hi

Im always recommending defrag as a serious option for 

this game. With constant mod-updates and big patches 

every other month it will get messy on any hard-drive. 

A while back I had a little argument with an other forum 

member about defragging SSDs and I decided to look into it. 

As of now I stand corrected and state that you dont get any 

advantages by defragging SSDs. 

There is something called TRIM command in modern SSDs 

and their fetch system is completely different from HDDs. 

That said WoT almost needs SSD to work perfectly. They 

built the game for russians with really poor computers. 

The game uses very little vram and loads most graphics 

directly from HDD. Easily 20-30 fps moore with SSD.

SSDs are cheap nowadays and rather get 2 small instead of 

one bigger. Windows on one and games/software on other. 

Lifetime isnt an issue anymoore most SSDs can manage 

1-2 PB before they go into safemode. Thats atleast 400GB 

per day for 10 years.

• Upvote 1

The whole point of defragging is to move the file pieces closer to one another - which is pointless, when an SSD has no moving parts.

Actually, you'll just put unneeded wear on the SSD by defragging, without getting anything out of it :P

Which I'm sure is what you found out, in your research :)

So remember kids: Do NOT defrag SSD's. :D

The whole point of defragging is to move the file pieces closer to one another - which is pointless, when an SSD has no moving parts.

Actually, you'll just put unneeded wear on the SSD by defragging, without getting anything out of it :P

Which I'm sure is what you found out, in your research :)

So remember kids: Do NOT defrag SSD's. :D

Absolutely. STILL normal hard-drives needs it badly. 

Old SSDs had this old NAND system with nonerase 

marking of free cells. Windows 7 changed alot of that 

hassle.

Aslain has SSD I will be getting one too. They have come a long way now.

SSD's are indeed quite awesome :)

And yes, normal HDD's still need defragmentation, quite quite badly, especially if you keep uninstalling/installing new things.

Shit gets spread all over the field, instead of being in one place, so the poor gramophone needle has to visit all places on the old LP, hehe...

Yeah, spent a small fortune on one for system drive like 4-5 years ago, and also got SSD in my new machine :)

If people would now what a toaster Im using for WoT i would be 

banned from this forum  :)

Thats a good way to understand players at the bottom end of  the 

hardware scale.

Investing about 80€ in a 256GB SSD and using it as a system drive and for some games is the best investment you can do.

You'll think you have a new computer with more ram, better cpu etc.

Upgrading a pc with a SSD gives you the most noticable performance per Euro boost you can get.

I did it and it was the best investment I did in years.

Just put your most recent played games on the SSD and enjoy. If you dont play the game anymore and need SSD-Space just move it.

SSD are definitely the way to go. I have a 120 GB SSD as a primary with windows and World of Tanks loaded on it and a 1TB HDD as a storage drive.

Love these drives as windows loads in under 10 secs. I am unable to comment on WoT performance as I have only played WoT on this set up ..

Dat pricetag.... dat price....  :blink:

For the price of the smallest one (400GB), you could get 2x Samsung EVO 850's at 500 GB each..  :P

(Yeah yeah, it's probably faster, but who needs it :P You can only load so fast into WoT, and still have to sit and wait 30+ seconds... :P )

Dat pricetag.... dat price....  :blink:

For the price of the smallest one (400GB), you could get 2x Samsung EVO 850's at 500 GB each..  :P

(Yeah yeah, it's probably faster, but who needs it :P You can only load so fast into WoT, and still have to sit and wait 30+ seconds... :P )

Ohh, and its so beautiful, and so fast it will go back in time.   ;)

I'm new and my opinion won't mean much to anyone but as far as I'm aware and I'll be looking into this momentarily and editing my comment if I'm wrong, you can still 'defrag' a SSD but it's a much different meaning :P Such as creating a RAM disk if you have a nice amount of RAM you create a RAM drive for caching and temporary internet files, if you have another drive you can move your Windows Temporary Files to it, you could use the ram for this too but that would take a lot of space and depending on the games you play you'll need your RAM more than the small performance boost. Disable Windows from creating a Paging File on your SSD as well. Not all SSDs support Trim so it's a good idea to make sure it's running on your PC and I guess you could call this optimizing or tweaking your performance but in my mind it's still 'defragging' because you're reducing the amount of clusters on your SSD as well as the amount of junk. :P

I'm new and my opinion won't mean much to anyone but as far as I'm aware and I'll be looking into this momentarily and editing my comment if I'm wrong, you can still 'defrag' a SSD but it's a much different meaning :P Such as creating a RAM disk if you have a nice amount of RAM you create a RAM drive for caching and temporary internet files, if you have another drive you can move your Windows Temporary Files to it, you could use the ram for this too but that would take a lot of space and depending on the games you play you'll need your RAM more than the small performance boost. Disable Windows from creating a Paging File on your SSD as well. Not all SSDs support Trim so it's a good idea to make sure it's running on your PC and I guess you could call this optimizing or tweaking your performance but in my mind it's still 'defragging' because you're reducing the amount of clusters on your SSD as well as the amount of junk. :P

Very good points.

Your opinions and help is very welcome. None of us is a true expert but together we are strong.

For those into Ram you have to go server:

http://ark.intel.com/products/82156/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WTT

What?  There are people out there that don't have an SSD?

I've had an SSD as my main drive since 2009, lol!

But seriously, an SSD is the best upgrade for a PC, without a doubt.

But you also neet to optimize it. Otherwise the effect is only good, not excellent.

• 2 weeks later...