Changing only certain parts of the mod

Ok, so I'm enjoying this modpack but there are some things that are kind of annoying me.

First of all, being rather new to modding this game, I have no clue what some parts of the mod is actually doing in comparison to the original game functions. I've been using google to try to find the included mods separately but even then, some of them give rather unsatisfying descriptions.

Particularly this one:

Artillery sight on minimap

What does it do/change compared to the default behaviour?

Train Wagon Mods

I understand what they do so far as changing the train-carts to become more visible but how does it differ from the default settings? I'm currently using the one by Webium

Second issue I'm having is that I don't know if the installer remembers my previous settings or not.

Third issue is that I can't seem to find a way to change only one aspect of the mod. If the installer rememebers my previous setting this is a moot point.

Great mod however and I'm loving it.

Thx a lot!

Ok, so I'm enjoying this modpack but there are some things that are kind of annoying me.

First of all, being rather new to modding this game, I have no clue what some parts of the mod is actually doing in comparison to the original game functions. I've been using google to try to find the included mods separately but even then, some of them give rather unsatisfying descriptions.

Particularly this one:

Artillery sight on minimap

What does it do/change compared to the default behaviour?

Train Wagon Mods

I understand what they do so far as changing the train-carts to become more visible but how does it differ from the default settings? I'm currently using the one by Webium

Second issue I'm having is that I don't know if the installer remembers my previous settings or not.

Third issue is that I can't seem to find a way to change only one aspect of the mod. If the installer rememebers my previous setting this is a moot point.

Great mod however and I'm loving it.

Thx a lot!

Hello HerbertNimble,

Yes, the installer does remember your selections from one install to the next, provided you don't delete the file "_Aslains_installer_options.inf" from your WoT installation directory.

I realize some of the mods' description are vague, but have you tried enabling the preview window in Aslain's installer? In many cases you can see a visual representation of what the mod does. You can enable the preview in two ways:

1. In the first dialog box, check the "Enable the image/sound preview by default" box
  2. In the options dialog box, press the "Show descriptions" button at the bottom.

For your specific mod questions:

Artillery sight on minimap: This mod allows you to customize a minimap crosshair for SPGs allowing you to more accurately target a specific spot on the map when using right-click to shift your aim. This is a good time to use the preview so you can see the different crosshairs that are available. (NOTE: in order to see the options you need to click on the top-level 'Artillery sight on the minimap' option.

Train wagon mods: These mods change the skins on train wagon models to make them more visible (especially the flat cars that are dull brown - players often run into them). Webium simply puts diagonal yellow lines on the flat cars; Locastan's mod colors the tops of the flat cars yellow, and MAS629's mod skins all the train wagons to look more realistic and colorful. (I use MAS629 myself).

I'm not sure I understand your third question. If you want to change an aspect of a mod but the installer doesn't offer an option to do so, you can often find and edit the mod's configuration files. Unfortunately there is no one standard location to find the configuration files, nor is there a standard config file format. Most mods use XML, but there are some that use JSON. Some mods don't have configuration files at all.

I hope that helps.

HockeyPhool

I realize some of the mods' description are vague, but have you tried enabling the preview window in Aslain's installer? In many cases you can see a visual representation of what the mod does. You can enable the preview in two ways:

1. In the first dialog box, check the "Enable the image/sound preview by default" box
  2. In the options dialog box, press the "Show descriptions" button at the bottom.

Yes, I do use that function. But as I said, I'm rather new to this game so I'm not able to tell the difference in all cases.

For your specific mod questions:

Artillery sight on minimap: This mod allows you to customize a minimap crosshair for SPGs allowing you to more accurately target a specific spot on the map when using right-click to shift your aim. This is a good time to use the preview so you can see the different crosshairs that are available. (NOTE: in order to see the options you need to click on the top-level 'Artillery sight on the minimap' option.

As I said, I do use the preview but, just seeing a picture (as in the case of this particular mod) doesn't really tell me a lot about what it does. Sure, I saw the different crosshairs but if changing the crosshair is all it does, what difference does it make? How do you mean "more accurately" target a specific spot?

I can't recall the default behaviour in this case but doesn't the game show you a cursor by default when ctrl-clicking the minimap?

EDIT: Does that square depicted on the image represent the extent of your view when clicking or is it just "fluff"?

Train wagon mods: These mods change the skins on train wagon models to make them more visible (especially the flat cars that are dull brown - players often run into them). Webium simply puts diagonal yellow lines on the flat cars; Locastan's mod colors the tops of the flat cars yellow, and MAS629's mod skins all the train wagons to look more realistic and colorful. (I use MAS629 myself).

Ah, right, so basically, it only re-skins the flat rail-cars (except the MAS269 one) into the ones shown? I'll try the MAS-one next time.

I'm not sure I understand your third question. If you want to change an aspect of a mod but the installer doesn't offer an option to do so, you can often find and edit the mod's configuration files. Unfortunately there is no one standard location to find the configuration files, nor is there a standard config file format. Most mods use XML, but there are some that use JSON. Some mods don't have configuration files at all.

Well, specifically, I don't like the available options for server-crosses (white/green/blue/fancy blue) and I would like to change that one specifically. I'm not sure I want a server-cross though, seeing as there's an option to synchronize server-cross to turret-cross.

But in case I want to change only that aspect of the modpack, I'll still have to run the entire installer. I'm wondering how to change only that aspect of the modpack without having to run the installer every time because the installer does take you through quite a few redundant steps just to change that one thing.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by HerbertNimble

As I said, I do use the preview but, just seeing a picture (as in the case of this particular mod) doesn't really tell me a lot about what it does. Sure, I saw the different crosshairs but if changing the crosshair is all it does, what difference does it make? How do you mean "more accurately" target a specific spot?

I can't recall the default behaviour in this case but doesn't the game show you a cursor by default when ctrl-clicking the minimap?

EDIT: Does that square depicted on the image represent the extent of your view when clicking or is it just "fluff"?

First of all, do you play artillery? If so, do you know how to use CTRL + rightClick to aim your gun using the minimap ? (I ask only because you've said you're fairly new to the game.)

This mod helps you aim more precisely using the minimap. The images in the preview simply show you examples of the different crosshairs so you'll know which button to tick in the options dialog. The default behavior without the mod is the same, but instead of a crosshair you only see your normal pointer. Does that make sense?

Well, specifically, I don't like the available options for server-crosses (white/green/blue/fancy blue) and I would like to change that one specifically. I'm not sure I want a server-cross though, seeing as there's an option to synchronize server-cross to turret-cross.

I have not tried the mod that synchronizes the server-side crosshair with the client view. I do use the server-side crosshair, and I'm happy with the 'fancy blue' crosshair. I did a bit of exploring and found the configuration file:

C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.9.13\scripts\client\gui\mods\mod_pmod\oldServerCrosshair.json
This mod uses preformatted DDS image files for the crosshairs. If you want to change the crosshair you'd have to create your own DirectDraw Surface object. I have no idea how to do that, but it seems possible. You'd edit the configuration file to provide the path to your own image. Otherwise you can change the scaling factor of the crosshair, and control whether the server crosshair, Flash (default) crosshair, or both crosshairs are displayed in each mode (arcade, sniper, strategic). There are other parameters in the configuration file that you probably should not modify unless you create your own crosshair.

You have another option in relation to Aslain's modpack. If you find another modification that you want to use but it's not included in the modpack, Aslain has provided a way for you to install the mod with his installer. Look in your WoT folder for a folder named 'Aslains_Custom_mods'. Inside is a README file that describes how to set up a custom mod for installation. That way, if you find a different server crosshair mod that you like, you could still install it with Aslain's installer.

If I've completely missed your point, I apologize. Otherwise, I hope this helps you in some way.

Regards,

HockeyPhool

First of all, do you play artillery? If so, do you know how to use CTRL + rightClick to aim your gun using the minimap ? (I ask only because you've said you're fairly new to the game.)

This mod helps you aim more precisely using the minimap. The images in the preview simply show you examples of the different crosshairs so you'll know which button to tick in the options dialog. The default behavior without the mod is the same, but instead of a crosshair you only see your normal pointer. Does that make sense?

Yes, I do play arty from time to time. But how does it increase the accuracy? The game shows you a cursor when ctrl+right-clicking. Does the mod somehow improve the accuracy of the cursor or what? I don't get it. Looks like just a preference of what kind of cursor you want. How does changing the crosshairs make it any more accurate? That's what I'm wondering.

Does the cursors included change dynamically with your resolution to indicate how much area around the cursor you will actually see? If so, I can understand the usefulness of it, otherwise, I'm fine without it.

I have not tried the mod that synchronizes the server-side crosshair with the client view. I do use the server-side crosshair, and I'm happy with the 'fancy blue' crosshair. I did a bit of exploring and found the configuration file:

Well, I used both for a while but found it rather redundant to be honest. I prefer to have a "clean" interface around the centre of my screen so the server-side crosshair was rather distracting in all the available versions.

C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.9.13\scripts\client\gui\mods\mod_pmod\oldServerCrosshair.jsonThis mod uses preformatted DDS image files for the crosshairs. If you want to change the crosshair you'd have to create your own DirectDraw Surface object. I have no idea how to do that, but it seems possible. You'd edit the configuration file to provide the path to your own image. Otherwise you can change the scaling factor of the crosshair, and control whether the server crosshair, Flash (default) crosshair, or both crosshairs are displayed in each mode (arcade, sniper, strategic). There are other parameters in the configuration file that you probably should not modify unless you create your own crosshair.

You have another option in relation to Aslain's modpack. If you find another modification that you want to use but it's not included in the modpack, Aslain has provided a way for you to install the mod with his installer. Look in your WoT folder for a folder named 'Aslains_Custom_mods'. Inside is a README file that describes how to set up a custom mod for installation. That way, if you find a different server crosshair mod that you like, you could still install it with Aslain's installer.

If I've completely missed your point, I apologize. Otherwise, I hope this helps you in some way.

Aha, nice to know, I'll look into that and see what I decide to do. Currently I'm fine with not actually seeing the server crosshair but synching it to my turret instead (which quite frankly seems better in my opinion).

No need to apologize, you've been very helpful.