A Guide to: Spotting Mechanics

Just one thing about Sitting next to Allies: after our shot, bushes/trees in 15 m range from our tank are no longer providing camouflage, so all the tanks that are near us will lose this part of protection too….but what happened with camo net and camo skill? Are they still offer an protection or due to our shot this part of protection for our allies is loosed also?

Just one thing about Sitting next to Allies: after our shot, bushes/trees in 15 m range from our tank are no longer providing camouflage, so all the tanks that are near us will lose this part of protection too….but what happened with camo net and camo skill? Are they still offer an protection or due to our shot this part of protection for our allies is loosed also?

I think you misunderstood that a little bit.

The only reason why you shouldn't camp right next to another tank, especially when you are very likely to get spotted and sit next to a scout/TD, is that the enemies will try to shoot you.

And while trying to kill you, some of their fire will hit your teammate next to you. Even though he never got spotted in the first place.

The camo from bushes/net/crew on your teammates have nothing to do with this.

It's only you who loses the bush-camo when you fire (when too close to the bush).

Your teammates still keep theirs, if they don't shoot.

The net-camo will also stay active for every player, as long as they don't move.

Also worth noting that it's bad when you bump into other people, when they sit stationary, since you make them move and they then lose their net/bino-bonuses (and likely the better camo bonus from standing still - but don't quote me on that, just seems logical) temporarily.

The only reason why you shouldn't camp right next to another tank, especially when you are very likely to get spotted and sit next to a scout/TD, is that the enemies will try to shoot you.

And while trying to kill you, some of their fire will hit your teammate next to you. Even though he never got spotted in the first place.

Obviously. This is pretty clear.

Let talk about camo bonus.

I know that after my shot bushes or standing trees within the 15m diameter become transparent and lose their environment camouflage bonus. This is the rule. Simple.

Until now i thought that this is valid for everyone 15m around me but probably i am wrong.

Are you sure that the camouflage bonus lose is only for me and not for everybody that is 15m near me?

I heard this theory lot of time ago and i never check it. I always believe it is true. After tour response i try to verify it via google but I didn’t try too much.

Well, it'd be the first time that I heard about it.

But then again, that doesn't have to mean much.

As far as I know, the transparency only changes for those tanks who are actually firing shots.

That'd be pretty mean if other players would get punished for you shooting too close to their bushes.

You could make sense of it with thinking about it logically, like that your gun creates such a big flash, that it lights up everything behind the bushes or that the shot creates a huges shockwave, blasting away the cover (bushes).

But that's very unlikely, imo.

Feel free to test it yourself though, with some friends (I don't have any).

Put 2 identical tanks in a bush and have a scout find the exact distance where they will be spotted, sitting in a bush.

Then the scout drives back a little, until he loses contact and then one of the tanks fires a shot.

Then you'll see if both get spotted or only the one who fires.

Your Camo Net and Camo Skills still remain in effect - don't worry.

Obviously. This is pretty clear.

Let talk about camo bonus.

I know that after my shot bushes or standing trees within the 15m diameter become transparent and lose their environment camouflage bonus. This is the rule. Simple.

Until now i thought that this is valid for everyone 15m around me but probably i am wrong.

Are you sure that the camouflage bonus lose is only for me and not for everybody that is 15m near me?

I heard this theory lot of time ago and i never check it. I always believe it is true. After tour response i try to verify it via google but I didn’t try too much.

Only your own tank's camoflauge is affected when you shoot. This is why that BT-SV remained hidden when the AMX 50 100 fired - the AMX lost most of his camo value, but the BT-SV wasn't affected; he was still invisible. The only problem is that when you're within 15m of a tank, if you're spotted, the ally you're next to may be shot at as well if an enemy misses you, or the ally is in the enemy's line of fire towards your tank.

The issue is not with allies within 15m losing their camo - they still keep that camo. The main problem comes from allies within 15m of the spotted tank being shot at accidentally by the enemy due to the proximity to the spotted tank. You could remain invisible whilst sitting next to your spotted Platoon mate and still get shot at - your tank is still there, even though the enemy doesn't see you. If you're in the way of the shot, you'll get hit.

This is where the theory came about. Players were getting hit so often when sitting within 15m of an ally, that they speculated they were losing their camo value - this is not the case as my test with the AMX 50 100 and BT-SV proves. They're just so close to the spotted allies that shots are accidentally hitting them.

I wasn’t convinced so much about all this reasoning, your example was good but not so good, BT-SV and AMX have different campo value, so i tried to find some more evidences. Not to miss respect to nobody but just to be sure.

I tried to check again this theory in forum and i find this two discussions:
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/365131-can-someone-else-ruin-your-camo/page__st__20#topmost
http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/379458-does-shooting-behind-bushes-reduce-camo-of-other-tanks-behind-the-bushes/page__st__20

Unfortunately with different conclusions!!!!

So i try with game support and it’s +1 to you.

The official response: “Camo mechanics are about your tank only upon firing.” “The bonuses for other tanks within that 15m radius doesn't change unless they don't shoot themselves.”

p.s.

the other problem , being shot at accidentally by the enemy due to the proximity to the spotted tank was not neither in question

I wasn’t convinced so much about all this reasoning, your example was good but not so good, BT-SV and AMX have different campo value, so i tried to find some more evidences. Not to miss respect to nobody but just to be sure.

I tried to check again this theory in forum and i find this two discussions:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/365131-can-someone-else-ruin-your-camo/page__st__20#topmost

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/379458-does-shooting-behind-bushes-reduce-camo-of-other-tanks-behind-the-bushes/page__st__20

Unfortunately with different conclusions!!!!

So i try with game support and it’s +1 to you.

The official response: “Camo mechanics are about your tank only upon firing.” “The bonuses for other tanks within that 15m radius doesn't change unless they don't shoot themselves.”

p.s.

the other problem , being shot at accidentally by the enemy due to the proximity to the spotted tank was not neither in question

I was within enough proximity of both of the tanks to spot them if their camo values dropped even the slightest bit - I tested that before hand. As soon as the AMX fired, he was spotted but the BT-SV wasn't. If the BT-SV were to shoot, or lose any camo value for that matter, he would be spotted immediately as well. The two tanks were right next to each other, but only one was spotted.

If you want, I could run the same thing with two T49's with full Camo Skills and camo nets paired right next to each other. I'd have one shoot and the other just sit still. The one who shoots would be spotted whilst the other remains hidden.

• 2 weeks later...

So.  Is there a different  set of spotting mechanics for arty?  I just left a match where I was well below crest of hill.  Don't believe any way possible for line-of-sight spotting from field level.  Only 1 big hill where somebody could possibly see me.  But I thought in that situation I would be able to spot them as well.  They would have been 150 or 200 meters above me.  I would think the advantage would be mine in that case.  I was motionless for over ten seconds then destroyed by arty fire.  I don't get it?  Enemy swears I was on his radar.

So.  Is there a different  set of spotting mechanics for arty?  I just left a match where I was well below crest of hill.  Don't believe any way possible for line-of-sight spotting from field level.  Only 1 big hill where somebody could possibly see me.  But I thought in that situation I would be able to spot them as well.  They would have been 150 or 200 meters above me.  I would think the advantage would be mine in that case.  I was motionless for over ten seconds then destroyed by arty fire.  I don't get it?  Enemy swears I was on his radar.

Tons of things that we don't know about this situation though, so no1 can tell you anything about it.

Was it a 1 vs 1 or could someone else have spotted you?

What tanks were you two using?

What crew skills/equipement/consumables were in play; on both sides?

On top of that, you only think that you knew where the arty was at.

Usually, it's safe to assume that everything was legit, imo.

Arties are normally very well camouflaged and only detectable when pretty close to you (unless they fire and/or move).

Seeing as you didn't have 6th sense, it's also fair to presume that your crew was worse than their crew.

Tons of things that we don't know about this situation though, so no1 can tell you anything about it.

Was it a 1 vs 1 or could someone else have spotted you?

What tanks were you two using?

What crew skills/equipement/consumables were in play; on both sides?

On top of that, you only think that you knew where the arty was at.

Usually, it's safe to assume that everything was legit, imo.

Arties are normally very well camouflaged and only detectable when pretty close to you (unless they fire and/or move).

Seeing as you didn't have 6th sense, it's also fair to presume that your crew was worse than their crew.

Usually safe to assume? It's always safe to assume everything is legit.

98mc, upload the replay to wotreplays.com and I'll download it and watch it. I'm assuming you were spotted by another tank from a distance and didn't realize that. Either that, or you were spotted right before you began staying still. The arty saw you stop moving, you went out of the arty's sight, and he took a fully aimed shot at your previous location.

Scorp, I guess it's safe to assume that arty DOES NOT have a different set of spotting mechanics.  That being the case, please review replay and tell me who spotted me from where.  I am just bewildered by how this works.  I pm'd the replay link

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.