please find something else than ad/fly

Dear Aslain

I trust you and your installer and I am smart enough to not click "ok" on shady "your flash player is out of date" advertisements

However the last few times I clicked your download link and went trough ad.fly there where active attempts to install malware/trojans/driveby downloads on my system

please change your revenue page to something more trustworthy

I don't mind going trough such a page if that helps you keeping the site alive, I do hate attempts to hijack my system.

Users less computer savvy then me might have a real issue on their hands as those rogue advertising looks dang convincing and these people for sure don't use things like utorrent (that is ... if the torrent links don't send you through ad.fly

Of course this is just a suggestion, it is your call. I DO thank you for all the work you do making it possible for us to install the newest mods on the fly with your very useful and save installer :) as the Italians say (since it sound better in Italian then in Dutch) Mille Gracie for all you do

kind regards

Mava

Edited by Mavadelo

I had this same discussion with Aslain a little bit ago.  He already pays for file hosting from Media Fire.  He gets enough downloads to use up his allotted bandwidth early in each month.  The next step is a significant jump from $50 to $400.  I don't know how much money is donated to Aslain, but I am sure more would not only be appreciated, but would also help him take the next step up in his file hosting service.

It is not MediaFire I have issues with but the adf.ly pages. I know it is beyond his control on who uses these services for their advertisement but for the last 5 updates I had 4 times a page with rogueware, in fact I have to use my secondary browser often as chrome simply refuses me entry 9 out of 10 times. So that is why I ask for a change of service, of course he could also complain with adf.ly that his visitors are getting these type of "advertising"  (or do nothing, like I said, it is up to him)

A friend of mine uses https://www.linkbucks.com/ and never had a problem with them advertising {censored} content. and he makes a nice amount each month with it. There are more of these services around as well :) Heck I would offer him a download spot on my own site if I hadn't only 7G/M data transfer :D I would even pay for some sort of premium account if that ment I would bypass that adcr**

The link takes you to MediaFire.  You can use Ad blockers and NoScript (ScriptNo on Chrome) to block the malicious stuff.

I thought about offering a space on my server as well, but I would need to know the amount of data transfer he uses.

Good news is that you can donate. :)

Yep noticed the donation widgets on front page

I use adblock+ but disabled it for links coming from this site as I don't mind helping out a bit. In fact when I have it disabled I often get a nag screen on adf.ly about that I should disable it for obvious reasons (I guess that is what scriptno is used for?) and I have no problems with "normal" advertising and sometimes even willing to click them. Disabling it with adblock is also not helping Aslain as he won't get revenue with it.

Have send a general complaint to adf.ly not mentioning Aslain.com about it. will use the donate button when monthly payment arrives though and disable adf.ly for the time being or permanent depending on what Aslain chooses to do :) 

have-a-nice-day.JPG

• Administrator
2 hours ago, BlueKQ said:

The link takes you to MediaFire.  You can use Ad blockers and NoScript (ScriptNo on Chrome) to block the malicious stuff.

I thought about offering a space on my server as well, but I would need to know the amount of data transfer he uses.

Good news is that you can donate. :)

It's 1000GB per day.

well, the mf direct does not go via adf.ly so I will be using that for the time being and donate using the widget :)

a gig a day?  dang, however, I have been misreading my traffic data and mixed it up with total disk space available. My data traffic is 80Gigs a month, I am willing to offer a quarter of that (so 20Gigs a month)  to mirror your uploads if so desired. No cost for you Aslain. You obviously know how you can reach me on your own forums :)

• Upvote 1

I run a Train Simulator "fan site" and I am in the process of setting up a site for game reviews by WhiteRabbitUK, the resident game reviewer for gamegiveawayoftheday so there is an easy way for the people to find all his reviews back. He reviews all sort of games that you can find on sites as Playrix, Alawar, Gametop etc so mainly things like match 3, HoG etc. This was a request from the GGOTD community to him and since I have the space, time and sort of the skill to make and maintain I offered him a place on my domain. This is still in very early stages though and not yet live. When I got the account it was a small one for a few bucks but their "business" pack was only 60 euros a year and gives me the possibility to play around a bit (or offer a place to others when I think it is needed or appropriate i was like "heck.. why not"  It is a hobby and a good way to contribute something to the gaming community since it is a way in which I can guarantee some help rather ten donating to sites which I often just don't have the money for during the year. Although a bit overkill initially it has served me well. feel free to take a peek at wolfdengaming.com :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BlueKQ said:

Thanks.  My 12 year old son plays that game. I will pass the info to him.

:) cool, got a cool freeware route linked there called Northern Europe which is actually Danmark. Free route and stock with the quality of the mid to better range DTG DLC including an install tutorial (which needs to be followed). If he decides to download it to try it out and either you or him encounter issues after download you can contact me here, on my site or on steam under the same nick. It is not my work but I happen to know a lot about that particular route :)

• 3 weeks later...