[1.0.2.1] MeltyElement's Effective Armor & Crosshair Mod

"MeltyElement" Effective Armor Calculator & Crosshair Mod [BETA]

Effective Armor Calculator now separate from crosshair!

839cd5cb68ff5a8c6c70dc972adcc7fa.jpg

Many of us remember the effective armor calculator from the MeltyMap' s MathMod. For those who don't know what its all about, there is a quick run down under the spoiler.

Effective Armor Basics:

Effective Armor Basics

The thickness of a tanks armor is highly dependent on the angle that armor. Example,  if your armor is 100mm thick at 60° that thickness doubles to 200mm.

http://wiki.gcdn.co/images/6/6f/Effective_armour_thickness.pngSome basic information from the WoT wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Effective_Armour_Thickness

The effective armor calculator does, well exactly what it sounds like it does. It gives you real time information about the actual thickness of your hulls armor based on angle of your tank compared to where you are looking/aiming.

http://i.imgur.com/roVVe83.png

Then takes it a few steps further. Along with the angle of your tank it takes into account the angle of your armor including angles like an IS-3 and its pike.

http://i.imgur.com/LmCaYqn.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/zc0qeJH.png

Pretty useful.

Description

The old Armor Calculator went defunct back around ~8.8, so it has  been a while. Instead of fixing the old calculator I opted to completely re-write the mod. All of the calculations are now handled by python instead of action script. A big reason for that is because before this I have never touched flash files or action script. However, it did open the door for a few improvements and features.

• The effective armor calculation now takes into account the pitch of you gun. This makes the calculation slightly more accurate retaliative to where you are aiming.
  • There is also now an option to have the calculations based on the rotation of the camera or the rotation of the turret/gun.

Both options have benefits but after switching back and fourth for a month one does not seem superior to the other.

• No longer dependent on XML configs for any values other then arcs(slope of a tanks armor).

If a tank is missing from the XML it will be automatically inserted at the end of the file with values of zero. If a tanks arc value is zero the armor is calculated used the tanks nominal armor and rotation of the tank.

The crosshairs and armor panel are now separated  and one does not require the other.

The gun sights are based/built from the most recent Melty source code that was released(0.9.9). Updated and modified with a few additional(optional)  features.

• Aiming distance is now pertinently visible. It no longer fades away with target information when you have no target.
  • Advance ballistic information is available and built into the design.
    • remaining aim time (how long until your dispersion value reaches the minimum value).
    • speed of your current target in km/h , mph, or m/s
    • projectile flight time.
  • Fourth sight, a darker version of the first sight(the light blue ones).
  • Relative aim point height adjustment in Strategic aim mode.
  • Advance penetration calculator.
    • Penetration drop off, normalization, 2x overmatch modifiers, impact angle are taken into account and accounting for track thickness will be an option in future builds.
    • Colors:
      • Dark Red = angle is greater then then the auto bounce angle.

• Red = The targets armor at your aim point is thicker then your shells highest possible roll.

• Orange = The targets armor at your aim point is thicker then your average pen.

• Yellow = The targets armor at your aim point is less then your average pen but more then the low end of your pen. ie. your pen roughly = the armor and its up to the RNG gods.

• Green = The targets armor at your aim point  is less then your lowest roll.

• Blue = The targets armor at your aim point  is less half your average pen. (this used to indicate 2x over match but seemed redundant and still is. On indicators like the Aimpoint-I w/ armor pen. Only specific parts turn blue so its more like a notification and not coloring in the whole sight. All other markers are gonna follow suit in some way in future builds.)

• Purple = The 3x overmatch rules are in effect.(when your shell caliber is 3x the thickness of armor at the point of aim and will not bounce regardless of angle )

Screens:

Screens:

Coming soon..

Known Issues Crosshairs:

Known Issues::

• Arcade and Sniper sights break the clip bar.

• Dots on arcade crosshair number 2 occasionally scale improperly and distort. They correct themselves on a zoom level or aim change.

• A-Shape II (with load indicator) gun marker cycles through all the pen colors

• Fonts not completely embedded in flash see extra fonts to install: MeltyElement Fonts

Known Issues Armor Panel:

Known Issues::

•   The protractor in SPG mode is ever so slightly off when it comes to registering that you are at the limit of your view angle.

TODO Crosshairs:

TODO::

• Write a readme…

• Add illuminated reticle. see: lpanades post below

• Separate the armor calculator from the crosshair flash files.

• Add the Gun Arc Critical Angle rulers.

• Adjust and unify colors for many things from penetration indicator to base blending modes of the sights.

• Further adjust penetration indicator .

• Improve penetration drop off calculations.

• Smooth out the sensitivity of minor changes to prevent frequent changing of colors.

• General improvements.

• Finish crosshair markers.

• Finalize a set of center markers and sync them between sniper & arcade

• Make sure each gun marker has all 3 variations(pen, loading, & basic)

• Lots of work on the config files.

• Organization.

• Finish/remove options that are not working or WIP.

• Increase the amount that can be customized. Some people like all the stats and data on sights while some prefer nice clean minimalist sights.

• TD sniper mode brake removal option

• Implement Xray and Bounding box auto aim acquisition.

• Push auto aim target data to sights. ie Distance, spotting chance, reload, everything that is normally shown when a tank is targeted.

• Implement target speed format configuration (MPH, km/h, and m/ps)

• Code cleanup.

TODO Armor Panel:

TODO::

• Write a readme…

• Update armor arcs in the XML.

• Implement indicators for when target average pen is higher then current effective armor

• Add the Gun Arc Critical Angle rulers.

• Code cleanup.

Installation and Configuration:

Installation and Configuration::

• Installation is easy, unzip, copy paste res_mods to your World of tanks directory. The configuration of ElementCrosshairSettings.xml contains the config for the corsshairs, ElementArmorPanelSettings.xml contains the config and vehicle data for the Armor Panel. Both must be in UTF-8-BOM this is important and kinda backwards from many mods out there, so take note. So if there is something you want to move, disable, or enable. Look there.
  • To install the optional dispersion circle copy the res_mod folder inside the optional_files folder. The config is located in the scrips/gui/mods folder. This mod is incompatible with server side reticle. However you can change the "UseServerDispersion" to true for it to act like the server side reticle.
  • The "showAdvancedPiercingPower" will override the original penetration calculation if enabled. Disable both if using a 3rd party pen calculator. 
  • For more information on the configs see the comments in the XMLs or feel free to ask.

Credits & Sources :  

Credits & Sources::

Elementofprgress

Thank you to:

StranikS_Scan's - DispersionCircle Mod. (He Also makes some nice debug tools that make life a little easier)

GPCracker - XmodLib functions and Flash management guide

The creators and many people who work on the InfoPanel mod, which without its source code I would have never get the armor panel on its own flash.

Many more mod makers who's work I used to learn

Original Developers:

Project Author/Manager:

MeltyMap

Co-Author's:

garnet_auxo

RazNaRok

Koshnaranek

_Kriegstreiber_

Havenard

phantasm_ru

Kir_Vik

Xmaster Official

Change Log:

Change Log:

V.2.0b4:

V. 2.0b1:

•  Separated Armor Panel and Crosshairs
  • Added protractor to Armor Panel
  • Fixed scaling of arty circles.
  • Fixed flashing of reload timer when switching sight modes(still flashes in replays)
  • New XML config files
  • Added arc missing indicator to Armor Panel

Notes

• I would consider this a BETA. While it is working without any issues and have been using various reversions as I work on it for the past month. Not every nook and cranny, combination of options/ features , and compatibility with other mods has had the chance to be thoroughly tested.

• The armor angles in the MeltyMapProtractorSetting.xml are in desperate need of updating. The type, left & right arcs(yaw limits), front & side(base armor) are completely irrelevant now and will be removed eventually. Only the arc, arc2, arc3 values are important now and need to be updated. However the old method of getting those values is no longer available due to the original Wot Tank Viewer no longer being maintained. If anyone knows of any alternative programs or methods to accurately measure angles, please let me know.

Feedback is highly encouraged. At this stage there is still a good amount of things that can change.

DOWNLOAD

>>> MeltyElement v1.0.0-Beta <<<

SHA-1: E578B589C79FEF84AF2B7806E568677F6408A01A

>>>MeltyElement Fonts <<<

Source: https://github.com/elementofprgress/MeltyElement_Sights 

If you wish to support me and this project you can do via below or by leaving me good feedback

btn_donate_SM.gif

pixel.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Administrator

Not sure if it's possible, but could you also provide a standalone version? That one linked above is full Melty crosshair with built-in armor calculator, many people don't care for this crosshair, and wants armor calculator only. In the old melty it was in placed debugpanel.

• Aslain pinned this topic
6 hours ago, Aslain said:

Noticed that the aim circle is not always shrinked to minimal size. Had it in all battles, aim circle is 100% size, but aim time is dropping to 0, when it reaches 0, the aim circle is instantly minimal.

Python.log: https://bpaste.net/show/9d2762e8e9ac

I wanted to add it today, but since there is this error spam I will wait :)

Thank you for the log.

Yay for errors because of wrong indentation. uploaded new version. error should be fixed.

Fantastic this feature of aiming time.

What Melt Math has and is not working on mine: I could not see yet the propability to being spoted and the enemy view range. 
I don't know which is the number at extreme left of the photo, in my actual sigh it is not being shown. But when I aim a tank blocks are shown under the distance. I belive it is some kind of font problem.

What I liked to much: that red dot puted inside the aim in one of it's options and aiming time. It was necessary.

What I would like: more options in the reticle: The aiming reticle should have two characteristics: a black to shown well on clear enviroment and a color, strong, to be shown on dark ones.
How to do that? Show at least 2 collors to adjust to enviroments characteristics. So we will have three collors, one being black.
Second is having a bigger round circle in the middle of the reticle. It will naturally push the eye attention to the center. It is called "fast target acquisition".  I could draw a reticle to that specifications to be understood well. But it is not far the reticle it has just now. A bit modifications we learn in shooting activities.

The important part is: you are going in the right direction.

Edited by lpanades
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, riptide109 said:

THe link doesn't seem to be working, the link was deleted or something like that.

The links is valid. It leads to Mega, what message do you see on the mega website?

wQ6GjG9.jpg

I'll be updating this in the next day or two. I finally got the armor panel separated from the sights and should have the protractor working.

-------------------------------------------

On 6/14/2016 at 9:31 AM, bubs79 said:

great mod   mate I have  couple of issues ,   1   ammo clip don't appear when using tanks such as pz 1 c .   2  is there away to stop the reload counter fading in and out ? 

What reload counter are you talking about? Yours, enemy, arty sight? Is your reload counter fading in and out every time you switch from modes(arcade/sniper)? That bug existed in some of my early builds and could have slipped back in.

By ammo clip I'm assuming you mean the QuantityInClipBars.swf (the little pictures of shells in your clip). I removed them because personally...well I hate them and just go by the clip values on the sight. I plan on making it a configurable thing in the future. In the mean time if you delete the QuantityInClipBars.swf the default should be used. or replace it with a QuantityInClipBars.swf from almost any other sight.

On 6/14/2016 at 8:04 PM, lpanades said:

What Melt Math has and is not working on mine: I could not see yet the propability to being spoted and the enemy view range.

hmm, worked for me. What sights is it not working in, type 1,2,3 or 4? As in the setting that changes what the sight panel looks like. Also, arcade or sniper? It should be noted that the spotted chance will only be displayed when your marker is targeting the tank.

I don't know which is the number at extreme left of the photo, in my actual sigh it is not being shown. But when I aim a tank blocks are shown under the distance. I belive it is some kind of font problem.

Yeah, its a font problem. That means I didn't embed font properly.  I'll fix that next upload and include the fonts in the download just in case.

What I would like: more options in the reticle: The aiming reticle should have two characteristics: a black to shown well on clear enviroment and a color, strong, to be shown on dark ones.

The center markers is something that is not nearly complete. At least not to the point where I want it to be. I don't generally like black for stuff like that but it could work with there being so many bright sand and snow maps. I'll try it out when I get to the point where the center markers become priority. 

Second is having a bigger round circle in the middle of the reticle. It will naturally push the eye attention to the center. It is called "fast target acquisition".  I could draw a reticle to that specifications to be understood well. But it is not far the reticle it has just now. A bit modifications we learn in shooting activities.

Not sure what exactly you are talking about. The circle naturally in the sight? or the one when using the additional dispersion circle mod?

Thank you for the feedback.

2 hours ago, elementofprgress said:
2 hours ago, elementofprgress said:

-------------------------------------------

What reload counter are you talking about? Yours, enemy, arty sight? Is your reload counter fading in and out every time you switch from modes(arcade/sniper)? That bug existed in some of my early builds and could have slipped back in.

By ammo clip I'm assuming you mean the QuantityInClipBars.swf (the little pictures of shells in your clip). I removed them because personally...well I hate them and just go by the clip values on the sight. I plan on making it a configurable thing in the future. In the mean time if you delete the QuantityInClipBars.swf the default should be used. or replace it with a QuantityInClipBars.swf from almost any other sight.

sorry for the lack of info  the fading in and out is on arcade and sniper , its for my own tanks both arty and normal . its the reload timer  that tells u how long until the tank shell is loaded .  (bottom right corner)

I've tried  replacing the  quantityinclipbars.swf file from another  crosshair  it did't work .  I've not tried removing it completely though ill do that just now 

Elementopfrgress,

About a circle in reticle: I'm not talking about aiming circle. Aiming circle is in the gun. I'm talking about a circle in the center of the reticle to fast acquire the targets. It is a characteristic of fast acquisition sights in CQB - Close Quarter Battle. The CQB reticle is regularlly a big circle with a center dot and some bullet compensation marks in the reticle. In wot bullet compensation is uselles. It is elegantly solved by 'aiming time'.

An accurate sight, at least the mordern ones, uses another aprouch: they has a reticle that just do not cross in the middle, letting an open part, an apperture on the center crosshairs. It let you aim better with full zoom and see exactly what parte of target you are pointing. This is this way because high end scopes uses first focal plane reticles, so they grows and shrinks with magnification. 

A multi function reticle should use both features: 1. a big circle for fast acquire targets because eyes are pulled naturally to it's center. 2. an open center crosshair. 
The collor factor I told you are just about contrast. So, with black, red and blue has absolutly any chance of the aim get confused with the picture being seen. If you uses black reticles you will notice that in dark areas it gets impossible to be seen, and gets uselless. The same happens wiht fadded blue in artic maps, at least they are dificult to be seen. Melty math green is worse because a lot of maps has green enviroment to mix with reticle in the sight.
Just 2 collors only would be enough. But, like the sight is predominantly blue a black part and a red one will solve all aiming dificulties.

Another approuch, that I do not know if is possible to implement in WOT is what in real scopes are called illuminated reticle. The idea is having a reticle that could have it's collors changed by a key push. For example: you push CTRL+mouse wheel and the reticle cycles from original collors to others. A nice feature is pushing a button to set some specific one, like a shortcut.

Now, let's talk about a bug that I do not report before:
When I aim somewhere the sight show's me the distance, in arcade and zoom mode. Nice feature, this make the 'f' key distance in aslain mode inutile. So nice. But, sometimes it does not work, just does not show the distante. What happens: If I'm in arcade and it is not showing them when I go to zoom it shows. If I go to arcade again it, now, begins to work. Same to zoom. Something is happens that swaps to show and do not show by changing aiming modes. Something is turning on and off.

Note: 1.about that possible font embebed problem. For me only blue blocks are shown. What I can say with that: I belive that if was only a font problem, it will ever show the blocks, but would change collors too. Not in mine. Theses blocks are ever being shown in blue. Same to distance.

2. I will clean all my resmods and reinstall Aslain Mode. Let's see if the problem persists. Let's see what happens. If it to solve the problem with a fresh reinstall I will enter here to report.

Edited by lpanades
14 hours ago, lpanades said:

Elementopfrgress,

About a circle in reticle: I'm not talking about aiming circle. Aiming circle is in the gun. I'm talking about a circle in the center of the reticle to fast acquire the targets. It is a characteristic of fast acquisition sights in CQB - Close Quarter Battle. The CQB reticle is regularlly a big circle with a center dot and some bullet compensation marks in the reticle. In wot bullet compensation is uselles. It is elegantly solved by 'aiming time'.

An accurate sight, at least the mordern ones, uses another aprouch: they has a reticle that just do not cross in the middle, letting an open part, an apperture on the center crosshairs. It let you aim better with full zoom and see exactly what parte of target you are pointing. This is this way because high end scopes uses first focal plane reticles, so they grows and shrinks with magnification. 

A multi function reticle should use both features: 1. a big circle for fast acquire targets because eyes are pulled naturally to it's center. 2. an open center crosshair. 
The collor factor I told you are just about contrast. So, with black, red and blue has absolutly any chance of the aim get confused with the picture being seen. If you uses black reticles you will notice that in dark areas it gets impossible to be seen, and gets uselless. The same happens wiht fadded blue in artic maps, at least they are dificult to be seen. Melty math green is worse because a lot of maps has green enviroment to mix with reticle in the sight.
Just 2 collors only would be enough. But, like the sight is predominantly blue a black part and a red one will solve all aiming dificulties.

Another approuch, that I do not know if is possible to implement in WOT is what in real scopes are called illuminated reticle. The idea is having a reticle that could have it's collors changed by a key push. For example: you push CTRL+mouse wheel and the reticle cycles from original collors to others. A nice feature is pushing a button to set some specific one, like a shortcut.

When I aim somewhere the sight show's me the distance, in arcade and zoom mode. Nice feature, this make the 'f' key distance in aslain mode inutile. So nice. But, sometimes it does not work, just does not show the distante. What happens: If I'm in arcade and it is not showing them when I go to zoom it shows. If I go to arcade again it, now, begins to work. Same to zoom. Something is happens that swaps to show and do not show by changing aiming modes. Something is turning on and off.

Note: 1.about that possible font embebed problem. For me only blue blocks are shown. What I can say with that: I belive that if was only a font problem, it will ever show the blocks, but would change collors too. Not in mine. Theses blocks are ever being shown in blue. Same to distance.

2. I will clean all my resmods and reinstall Aslain Mode. Let's see if the problem persists. Let's see what happens. If it to solve the problem with a fresh reinstall I will enter here to report.

Sorry about what I said. 

Probability of enemies seeing me is show, normaly. But when I aim a friendly tank them those blocks are show under distance. If aiming a foe it shows over the distance de chance to be spoted.

On 6/18/2016 at 6:58 AM, lpanades said:

Any time you see a square its 100% a font problem. See the links for the fonts to install and let me know if that fixes your problem. I'm hoping the distance not showing is related to the fonts, but the chance of that sounds low. Sounds more like something errors out and then fixes itself the next time its called (when the mode is changed). If this happens in the newest build can you pastebin me your python.log?

Your idea about adding illuminated reticles is an amazingly awesome idea and should be 100% possible. The whole idea of visibility of sight elements and their ability to help acquisition of targets is something that has bothered me with damn near every sight I've ever used. This seems like a very elegant solution and I'm definitely going to be trying to add this for the next build.

On 6/19/2016 at 8:52 AM, Kuss said:

anyway to get the dynamic circle in SPG

Not that I know of, but I'll mention in the forum the creator of the dispersion circle mod and see if its possible.

On 6/21/2016 at 9:55 AM, mEDI said:

mod_newsights.pyc is incompatibel to mod_MeltyElement_Crosshairs.pyc
resultat is the contour glow problem

AH, I've been waiting to see how compatible this was with other sight controls. Thank you for letting me know. I plan on adding a work around in the future. ie Disable files with known conflicts like mod_newsights.pyc and alert the user.

On 6/14/2016 at 9:31 AM, bubs79 said:

great mod   mate I have  couple of issues ,   1   ammo clip don't appear when using tanks such as pz 1 c .   2  is there away to stop the reload counter fading in and out ? 

I did some digging and I think found the source of the issue. The issue being the original melty sights clip bar being outdated. So, at this point no QuantityInClipBars.swf  will work with them. This is going to be something I work on next and will release and update as soon as I get it to work.

little bug with reload timer position in arcade mode 

on ground di-H7VDOW.png and on target di-ZZ6FUL.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pls center PenValues and angle 

di-7JYXOX.png now this in left side not in center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and pls explain what means colors of PenValues : blue purple and darkred 

red green and yellow - i know :D

28 minutes ago, Pratt said:

little bug with reload timer position in arcade mode 

on ground di-H7VDOW.png and on target di-ZZ6FUL.png

pls center PenValues and angle 

di-7JYXOX.png now this in left side not in center

and pls explain what means colors of PenValues : blue purple and darkred 

red green and yellow - i know :D

Good catch on the aim time misalignment. I just fixed both the pen values and aim time, a new build will be uploaded soon(along with other fixes and features.

I'm actually working on a readme and explanation of some of the features. There is a lot to go over lol.

The pen values displayed are:

Your penetration (the caliber of your shell) / targets armor and below that is the angle of impact your shell is predicted to have at the markers point of aim.

As for the colors:

Dark Red = angle is greater then then the auto bounce angle.

Red = The targets armor at your aim point is thicker then your shells highest possible roll.

Orange = The targets armor at your aim point is thicker then your average pen.

Yellow = The targets armor at your aim point is less then your average pen but more then the low end of your pen. ie. your pen roughly = the armor and its up to the RNG gods.

Green = The targets armor at your aim point  is less then your lowest roll.

Blue = The targets armor at your aim point  is less half your average pen. (this used to indicate 2x over match but seemed redundant and still is. On indicators like the Aimpoint-I w/ armor pen. Only specific parts turn blue so its more like a notification and not coloring in the whole sight. All other markers are gonna follow suit in some way in future builds.)

Purple = The 3x overmatch rules are in effect.(when your shell caliber is 3x the thickness of armor at the point of aim and will not bounce regardless of angle )

Penetration drop off, normalization, 2x overmatch modifiers, impact angle are taken into account and accounting for track thickness will be an option in future builds.

• Upvote 1

:(a very bad bad news from Public Test of Version 9.15.1:

Battle interface is now written in Action Script 3.

this mean all flash mods (crosshairs, damage panels ...etc ) from current game version will be broken

guys enjoy with this mod - now, nobody knows when it will be more

:(:(:(

On 6/27/2016 at 10:18 AM, Pratt said:

:(a very bad bad news from Public Test of Version 9.15.1:

Battle interface is now written in Action Script 3.

this mean all flash mods (crosshairs, damage panels ...etc ) from current game version will be broken

guys enjoy with this mod - now, nobody knows when it will be more

:(:(:(

Nah, its all good. Well at least my mod is. There are a few things the new battle interface will mess with but most of that is stuff that was planned and not yet implemented. That "stuff" being things like battle app messaging Like:

MLGqEzZ.png

I quickly looked at CT files and my mod seems like it will be okay for the update. After another build or so, I will start building on 0.9.15.0.1CT to insure zero day compatibility.

• Upvote 2
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Pratt said:

when playing SPG - got this stuff in log http://pastebin.com/NsDD0MJa

I've got similar errors in logs. Both logs in spg

https://bpaste.net/show/f154e724829c
https://bpaste.net/show/82f71472bbb4

Also logs are mentioning 2.03b, isn't it suppose to be 2.04b?

I have enabled debug in config, but it doesn't seem to log any extra stuff.