Basic WOT/WoWS Modding center. Please learn and teach these basics so it can free valuble time from these very skilled people.

So since coming here from Roughnecks, I have quickly come to respect the team of guys who I see like Blue and Aslain who are answering questions non stop about either very basic things that are found in descriptions or notes they leave, or I find 15 topics about slightly different [1% diff] problems that really once explained one time should by the community be taught to the others.

Roughnecks was a huge pillar of great minds from both the coding and the super artistic sides of WOT that literally started to entirely on its own make a server of 25k avg population start turning out as many ground breaking and game changing mods as the one with 250k avg population.

It took 3 years to do it, but towards the end the Ruskies who drive this market by 100`s of times, started to copy RN mods and would take the amazingly stunningly perfect art mods Soulza made change 1 color and call it there own on 15 different sites and then make it a premium modpack, basically making 10$ a month of it.

The way we did this was WE, I mean the common guys who used Soulzas sights/DMG panels/Icons, or Maggz overhead reload, or his old very first ever WN8 calculator, We who knew little except we wanted our games to look that way took charge of saving there precious time, by learning and answering the basics they taught us. And as it happened all the sudden a core group 15+ guys became the "Help Team"

These same guys like ATXMAXX and Spotter and Maggz and Soulza as well as good friends like Aslain, Solo and many others started to not just learn from the guys who knew nothing before but didn get there time wasted by having to help everyone on there own.

Imagine what a guy like Aslain can do graphically in 3 hours time. He could create an entirely new HUD style, he could start a sound pack. He could also find many mor modders out there who want to partner with him and create our mods.

TL;DR

I wanted to start this thread to address some basic topics of WOT/WOWS mods that I keep seeing coming up in the for of bugs or as requests for 2 mods to merge etc. And im oping the guys who dont donate or pay will learn some of these things and help others who are stuck and as the general knowledge level rises it is amazing what will happen.

RN went from a few guys who knew Python to a group of 500 who could do pretty good at reading a Python log and sussing out issues on there own. We had guys who were basic members making entire soundpacks, XVM configs with super advanced ways of not having to load heavy images so it didnt use almost any FPS. I mean very cool stuff.

So when we get a large issue about never mixing 2 mods with Dock.XML, hopefully rather than just accept we cant have both mods some of you might take a chance and merge the 2 and hety guess what, you just made your first mod.

Tmrw I will post about SWF files and how simple they really are and how easy guys like you can create things you didnt even know where possible in 15 minutes.

HUD_Lib.SWF for instance holds every  part of the entire graphics overlay/HUD and can be completely changed in anyway you want. And by learning this you will help newbs knwo not to mix adn match mods that share this HUD [Image] Libray.

And to those who are already good. Help out as much as you can. The rising tide lifts all boats guys :)

More time saved for Aslain answering dumbass questions, means cooler mods, faster releases and he will do this longer and wont burn out.

• Upvote 3

Well spoken! SFC_Storm ok typed out in print format if I may say. When It comes to programing I am at a loss. It could be my age (yes I am old, but not too old yet) and that technology has raced by at an astounding pace. I myself want to learn to be a contributor not just a user of the great mods and works of art for a lack of a better term.

But were to start than to ask. I reading your post I have learned that Python is one of many (new to me) programing languages out there. I will educate myself on it and get a better grasp of what it can do. Then perhaps one day someone can use a mod of my creation. Until that day keep up the hard work and let us all become involved in helping one another out. Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost. So if there are those willing to share I am willing to learn. I am sure I do not stand alone in that thought.   

It helps that Aslain and I are on different sides of the world, so it seems like we are on all day every day, but really, we take turns answering questions.  Also, I am not a programmer so I can't fix as much as help diagnose the problems.  I appreciate those that can create and program, maybe someday I will teach myself.

Of course, more people learning how the game works and thus how mods change the visual and audio elements is always great.  I understand, though, that is not reasonable to expect everyone to gain that level of understanding.  What would help us the most right now is having people read the mod descriptions, read the release notes below the download links so they know what was changed in that version, and using the search function and/or reading through the subject lines of recent posts to see if someone else is having the same problem and whether it has been addressed already.  Please also remember that when Wargaming releases a patch, a new version of the ModPack is required for it to properly install and if updates to mods are required, the mod author needs to update it so Aslain can included the updated version of the mod in the ModPack.

Please continue to enjoy using the ModPack, but give grace when that free resource doesn't work as expected.  Let us know and include your logs.  We will work on getting it resolved.

• Aslain pinned and unpinned this topic

i'd like to dabble in the files myself, but I have no idea where to start, so any direction (an actual example would be awesome) would help greatly. i saw you didn't make another post, so i'll wait patiently.

I have a lot of respect for all you guys that make and keep mods up to date and with minimum downtime and also take the time to answer all sort of questions. keep up the good work!

Hi

Modding has always been so secretive and poorly explained. 

If you Google Photoshop or FL Studio 12 you can find hours upon hours 

with how-to-do videos and websites. 

Never been the case with modding, not even a great post on good 

software to use.

Would be great with somekind of tutorials (pictures included) on how 

to make or rework a sight, damagepanel or info-panel... something.

This is a good example on how to do sounds with Wwise: 

http://www.koreanrandom.com/forum/topic/31848-

Edited by Grandorf
typos, added content
  • Administrator

Very well said Storm. I'm leaving country in 4 days, and I will be gone for 1 month, have lot of things to prepare. 

Taking a laptop with me, and I will continue to release new modpacks, but will lesser frequency I guess, and it also depends on the internet. Hope it will be available there, where I am going in Georgia, GE.

I hope some people on this forum will be able to help to the player base while I am gone, or at least give me opportunity to focus on important things, so I don't have to check basic things.