windows defender

ive been running windows defender for about a week  , I took off avira antivirus. everything been fine with aslains modpack but  today aslains installer been acting up .

1st  thing I noticed I  double clicked  aslains modpack on my desktop  , it hung up and didn't open , then noticed laptop got laggy , so opened up task manager , and noticed that antimalware service executable  is hogging the cpu . I did a bit of research on this  and have found out that its windows defender . the reason  this hogs the cpu is  that windows defender suspects aslains  modpack installer as malware/virus  , so  windows defender  starts a maintenance scan   to make sure nothing has infected the pc/laptop .  

I disabled windows defender then  clicked on aslains installer on  the desktop and it opened up straight away , with no problems.

now  I deleted this shortcut from the desk top . turned on  windows defender .  now I went to the downloads folder  where all  aslains installers r saved . now the laptop is getting laggy again and I click one of the   installers shortcuts and boom     antimalware service starts up again and hogs the cpu again.

now the solution for me  now is never use windows defender again,  disable it and install your own malware program and antivirus

just very strange behaviour from windows defender which is causing a lot of problems with aslains installer

ive never used  windows defender before , I was just checking if I got same problems as everyone else that uses windows defender . problem with win 8 and 10  they have built in maintenance  which runs automatically .   windows defender  starts that maintenance  if it suspects   a file or .exe. ill  be going back to my avira now  lol never had a problem with avira or Malwarebytes

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Casstiel said:

deinstall win defender and download and install 360 Total Security...I have no problem with it...and you can put it in silent mode or disable protection for a while you install xvm and the most important thing no laggy or loss of speed....

Thats what I did. I'm using 360 TS, it still sometimes can lock my installer, but very rarely in general. 

Windows Defender caused too many issues on my W10, including problems with updating already added to exceptions WoWs and WoT.

• Upvote 1

The problem is both smartscreen and defender.

When you download the pack, right click and go to properties, click the 'unblock' box then go to compatibility and tick the 'run as administrator' box.

This bypasses the issue, also getting rid of defender does this too as it's rubbish....but still unblock and run as admin or smartscreen will block it occasionally.

Edited by exarish

i use comodo internet security... never had a problem with it with regards to modpack... the thing is... whatever av, firewall or aio you are using as long as you know what it does... how you use it... how you configure it... you can never go wrong... be it free or paid apps... ^^