DLC downloads slow and not completing (GoHaru skins)

Since the 9.15.1.1 version of GoHaru skins were released the DLC download always silently fails in the installer. It would download some of the file (at a consistently-slow 160kB/s) and then at some point fail the download but the installer doesn't warn about this and continues. It then fails to unzip the DLC and proceeds to "complete" without installing the skin packs, but also without warning the user. The new 100MB-split version of GoHaru skins got me 30.9, 31.2, 30.1, 26.0, 23.6, 5.28 MB for chunks 001-006.

Requests:

1) Put DLC on a faster server :)

2) Assuming that's not possible, please make the DLC available for separate download (torrent would be ideal, http would be acceptable). I suspect that it's not possible to have the installer actually download the DLC via torrent, but if the DLC could be linked for download somewhere that would let me (and anyone else with this problem) at least able grab it to put in Aslains_DLC_cache folder.

If you could generate a new .torrent for the DLC folder for each new modpack version I'm sure there's a number of us who'd be willing to seed it.

This has been am issue for a while now, and it's not just this mod that has problems, wows had a port mod that fails to completely download or install, might just have something to do with the download size or an internal error that we get but Aslain isn't seeing on his end. I had to download both mods separately from the mod pack to install and get full function from.

8 minutes ago, Aslain said:

It's probably something related to network, I cannot reproduce this, can download anything without problems. 

Aslain it's like when I was having problems with the Dragon port on the world of warships mod pack, I showed it to you via video, both these large mods will not completely download using the mod packs. It only gets to a certain point in the download process and then moves on like it was completed, but it was never completed and doesn't work at all. That's why I asked a week ago for the port mod link so I could download it separately from the mod pack, have no issues with it downloading it that way and I am running far better internet now than I was when I was having problems with the dragon port for world of warships

Another thing to note too Aslain we have crappy internet here in north america compared to European countries, the infrastructure suck here and they are doing very little to make it better yet charge us an arm and leg for a ton of nothing but disappointment. Just wanted to let you know.... 

Edited by Davidinlv82
19 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

1) Put DLC on a faster server :)

The server has a "shared" (<25% use on average):

2x 10Gbit/s exit to Switzerland

1x 10Gbit/s exit to US-California

2x 10Gbit/s exit to NL-Amsterdam

1x 10Gbit/s exit to NL-Utrecht

With a combined cap of 10Gbit/s out of which on average we only use 1-2Gbit/s.

The server/web server supports upto 100k concurrent connections. which we are nowhere close to.

This is not a speed issue.

19 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

2) Assuming that's not possible, please make the DLC available for separate download (torrent would be ideal, http would be acceptable). I suspect that it's not possible to have the installer actually download the DLC via torrent, but if the DLC could be linked for download somewhere that would let me (and anyone else with this problem) at least able grab it to put in Aslains_DLC_cache folder.

Raw files are located here: http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/

5 hours ago, Davidinlv82 said:

Another thing to note too Aslain we have crappy internet here in north america compared to European countries, the infrastructure suck here and they are doing very little to make it better yet charge us an arm and leg for a ton of nothing but disappointment. Just wanted to let you know.... 

This is most likely the case. Indeed the server is located in Europe but there is at least 1 dedicated line running to the West Coast, I can't provide more than that with a 0$ budget. Chances are that your ISPs infrastructure is not optimized for high bandwidth cross-Atlantic traffic.

Try downloading some big files directly through HTTP and see if you can get some decent speeds on those.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link to the raw DLC files, that's very helpful to me. At least I can complete the download now.

I suppose it's some kind of HTTP throttling that's appearing somewhere in the network. From my tests, here's what I found:

Note: I have 100Mbps downstream internet here, so in theory I should see up to ~10MB/s, and do.

First trying to download directly from the link provided (much as the installer would do):

wget http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.001
--2016-09-02 10:31:35--
http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.001
Resolving rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com... 185.21.216.152
Connecting to rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com|185.21.216.152|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.001'

23% [=========>                                 ] 24,691,358   169K/s   in 2m 22s

2016-09-02 10:33:58 (170 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 24691358. Retrying.

51% [++++++++++============>                    ] 54,229,305   171K/s   in 2m 49s

2016-09-02 10:36:48 (171 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 54229305. Retrying.

77% [+++++++++++++++++++++==========>           ] 81,147,452   171K/s   in 2m 34s

2016-09-02 10:39:25 (170 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 81147452. Retrying.

100%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==========>] 104,857,600  169K/s   in 2m 19s

2016-09-02 10:41:47 (167 KB/s) -
`hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.001' saved [104857600/104857600]

You can see it's throttled to 170kB/s and then loses connection every 3 minutes or so. wget can resume the transfer, the installer does not.

But doing the same download from my own server shows that the source server speed is not the problem:

wget http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.002
--2016-09-02 10:35:50--  http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.002
Resolving rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com... 185.21.216.152
Connecting to rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com|185.21.216.152|:80... connected.
Saving to: “hitzone_skins_by_GoHaru_HD_9151_2.7z.002”

100%[==========================================================================>] 104,857,600 4.85M/s   in 23s

It actually started about 2MB/s and ramped up to about 9MB/s before it finished, more than the average would indicate. So the source server is not the problem.

So now I have a "local" copy on my server, I tried downloading from there. Slightly better, but not really: 314kB/s.

However, let me try the same download via FTP instead of HTTP: 4.8MB/s

So my connection is not the problem, and neither is the source server the problem. And yet the problem remains.

So, follow-up requests:

1) is there any mechanism to allow the installer to resume DLC downloads if the connection is interrupted? Or, at the very least, can the failed-download be detected and warn the user?

2) I would still love to see all the DLC put into a torrent both for faster download speed (for us poor unfortunate North Americans) but more importantly for download integrity assurance (since HTTP downloads have no checksum). I suppose now that I know the download location I could build that myself, but it would be nice to see something official :)

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

You can see it's throttled to 170kB/s and then loses connection every 3 minutes or so. wget can resume the transfer, the installer does not.

Looks like somehow your local connection doesn't like big HTTP transfers, seeing as you also have trouble downloading them from your own (US-based(I think)) server. I have no idea how or why this is happening... maybe your ISP is throttling something. (wouldn't image so but you never know)

15 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

It actually started about 2MB/s and ramped up to about 9MB/s before it finished, more than the average would indicate. So the source server is not the problem.

9MB/s is still not by far reaching the potential speed that server-to-server would give us. Is your server connection 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s?

21 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

So now I have a "local" copy on my server, I tried downloading from there. Slightly better, but not really: 314kB/s.

However, let me try the same download via FTP instead of HTTP: 4.8MB/s

So... setting up FTP is doable if the installer supports it. (waiting for a confirm from Aslain on that one)

Nothing wrong with giving people a choice between ftp/http ofcourse.

31 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

1) is there any mechanism to allow the installer to resume DLC downloads if the connection is interrupted? Or, at the very least, can the failed-download be detected and warn the user?

see ^

32 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

2) I would still love to see all the DLC put into a torrent both for faster download speed (for us poor unfortunate North Americans) but more importantly for download integrity assurance (since HTTP downloads have no checksum). I suppose now that I know the download location I could build that myself, but it would be nice to see something official :)

Right now there only is support for downloading the installer itself through the torrent platform.

We'd have to either make a torrent for every single file, or throw all files in a single torrent and only download part of that torrent.

Problem with the last solution is that these files get changed quite often. So a new torrent has to be generated every time a small update takes place.

It's possible but from my pov inefficient. Also the installer would have to support the torrent protocol.

I have no experience in programming installers so again, Aslain has to look into that.

As for the downloads being interrupted every few minutes over the HTTP protocol, do you also see this happening on your own server or only on the DLC server?

offtopic: thanks for the extended debugging on your part. wget is love wget is life.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, TTimoNN said:

9MB/s is still not by far reaching the potential speed that server-to-server would give us. Is your server connection 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s?

We'd have to either make a torrent for every single file, or throw all files in a single torrent and only download part of that torrent.

Problem with the last solution is that these files get changed quite often. So a new torrent has to be generated every time a small update takes place.

It's possible but from my pov inefficient. Also the installer would have to support the torrent protocol.

As for the downloads being interrupted every few minutes over the HTTP protocol, do you also see this happening on your own server or only on the DLC server?

off-topic: I don't like this GUI forum, I like to see the BBcode I'm typing :P

My server connection is 100Mb/s.

My suggestion was not so much to integrate torrent transfers into the installer (which may be nice, but unnecessarily complex) but to provide an alternate mechanism of download for users (like me) who have connection problems. For simplicity of everyone involved, I envision it as a single torrent containing all of the DLC, the user can then pick-and-choose which file(s) they want to download if they're having problems. Generating the torrent is fast and simple - you could do it manually from your favorite torrent client, or you could automate it using something like mktorrent (a simple cron script could check for any files in directory modified since .torrent was generated and regenerate it).

The interrupted HTTP downloading is not something I normally encounter. I'll have to blame my ISP (presumably) for the HTTP throttling, but I'm uncertain whether the interruptions are related or not.

10 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

or you could automate it using something like mktorrent (a simple cron script could check for any files in directory modified since .torrent was generated and regenerate it).

Sounds like a plan, I'll use web-seed to bypass having to write another script to add and remove it from an actual torrent client.

We'll add it as a link either in the installer or somewhere around the download location. I'll respond to this thread once this is up and running.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Same problem here, even when I download directly.  So I tried wget and it saved me!  Here's an example of a 100MB file...it dies at the same point if I use a browser or wget but wget retries and continues WHOOHOO

# wget http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001 
--2016-09-02 16:00:49-- http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001
Resolving rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com (rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com)... 185.21.216.152
Connecting to rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com (rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com)|185.21.216.152|:80... connected.
Saving to: ‘hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001’

hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.  25%[===============>                                                 ]  25.23M   193KB/s    in 1m 53s  

2016-09-02 16:02:42 (230 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 26459723. Retrying.

--2016-09-02 16:02:43--  (try: 2) http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001
Connecting to rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com (rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com)|185.21.216.152|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
Length: 104857600 (100M), 78397877 (75M) remaining [application/octet-stream]

hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.  56%[++++++++++++++++===================>                             ]  56.40M   193KB/s    in 2m 5s   

2016-09-02 16:04:48 (255 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 59141430. Retrying.

--2016-09-02 16:04:50--  (try: 3) http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001
Length: 104857600 (100M), 45716170 (44M) remaining [application/octet-stream]

hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.  87%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===================>         ]  87.57M   245KB/s    in 1m 42s  

2016-09-02 16:06:33 (312 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 91823137. Retrying.

--2016-09-02 16:06:36--  (try: 4) http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001
Length: 104857600 (100M), 13034463 (12M) remaining [application/octet-stream]

hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.  93%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===>     ]  93.13M   370KB/s    in 23s     

2016-09-02 16:07:00 (246 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 97650399. Retrying.

--2016-09-02 16:07:04--  (try: 5) http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/WoT/hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001
Length: 104857600 (100M), 7207201 (6.9M) remaining [application/octet-stream]

hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2. 100%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++====>] 100.00M   402KB/s    in 15s     

2016-09-02 16:07:19 (468 KB/s) - ‘hitzoneSkins_KoreanRandom_91511_2.7z.001’ saved [104857600/104857600]

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, TTimoNN said:

This is most likely the case. Indeed the server is located in Europe but there is at least 1 dedicated line running to the West Coast, I can't provide more than that with a 0$ budget. Chances are that your ISPs infrastructure is not optimized for high bandwidth cross-Atlantic traffic.

Try downloading some big files directly through HTTP and see if you can get some decent speeds on those.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what their infrastructure is capable of and it's not like many of us on the west coast have many options to shop around and get something better. My current ISP is offering Gigablast but that I know wouldn't do any good downloading from across the ocean if the infrastructure isn't capable of it without losing packets or connection along the way and in my area there are only 2 options Cox communications or CenturyLink Cox being cable and CenturyLink being dsl. Like I said previously I have no problem downloading the large files seperately as I have done that a few times now to be able to use said mods, and will continue to as long as I need to, the extra step is not an issue for me.

I thought I'd play with my idea of creating a torrent of the DLC. It took me quite a while to wrap my head around webseeds for multi-file torrent though. The key I found here, and that is that the webseed for multifile torrents constructs the URL as <webseed> + <torrent name> + <filename>, so to make it work as intended I had to generate the .torrent with a name of "WoT", and a webseed URL of http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/ -- no more, no less. Unfortunately that means the torrent client will (by default) show the download as "WoT" rather than "Aslains_DLC_cache" which would be nicer, but it's apparently the only way the webseed-multi-file thing works.

For reference, this is the command-line I used to generate it (after creating a mirror of the directory and removing the apparently expired content, as in everything labeled 9.14 or earlier):

mktorrent -l 20 -a http://tracker.tfile.me/announce -a udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969/announce -a udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce -a udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce -a http://explodie.org:6969/announce -w http://rtor.nyx.feralhosting.com/files/ -n WoT -o Aslains_DLC_cache.torrent .

And the .torrent is attached.

Hope that will fast-track TTimoNN into getting it up officially :)

Side note: The web seed for me is still apparently ISP-limited to ~160kB/s, but at least I can be assured that whatever I download is valid and will auto-resume if disconnected. And any peers would of course bypass that problem.

Aslains_DLC_cache.torrent

• 1 month later...

It's still an HTTP transfer so I wouldn't expect it to behave any different. But in a torrent the client will resume the transfer and check for corruption, while your normal browser download will do neither.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that on my ISP HTTP transfers are throttled whereas HTTPS transfers are not.

20 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

But in a torrent the client will resume the transfer and check for corruption

Not when leeching from a web seed sadly.

The repo has HTTPS support so you can always use that.

I'm still actively working on the issue by trying to fix it through other means.

• Upvote 1

Sure it does. If it can't download arbitrary chunk from the webseed then either your client or your webseed are broken, and all torrents are intrinsically verified on both the piece and the whole-torrent level.

If you're talking within the installer then I can't comment on that, but it wasn't really my intention that the installer be converted to torrent download, just that the DLC be available as a torrent to those of us who want/need an alternate download path. I'd kind of hoped that there would be a DLC.torrent available on the download page by now based on our previous progress :)

2 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

At a quick test I'm also not seeing the webseeds play nice, but peer-to-peer works as expected.

I reached 42% before the web seed dc'd me...

Removing and adding the web seed again kickstarts it

~500KB/s

* stops the torrent and starts it again

~15MB/s

Figured out my problem with the webseed: Since the webseed URL structure is taken with the torrent name as the subdirectory component, the user is not allowed to rename the torrent or it will break the webseed. I had renamed it to "Aslains_DLC_cache" to be more intuitive than "WoT" and then it didn't work. I kinda hoped the torrent name was hardcoded, but it's not, it can be easily broken by the user :(

I haven't tried extended webseed downloading of the DLC so I don't know how far I'd get, but a brief test has it working.

20 minutes ago, SoftwareSimian said:

"the user is not allowed to rename the torrent or it will break the webseed."

One of the things that can break it as well yeah.

In the end the problem is in the NGINX config of the web server which for a minimal amount of users is causing problems.

I could resolve it within a couple hours but I need access to the ip of a person who has trouble downloading the files of the DLC server.

• Upvote 1