illegal Mods ?

11 minutes ago, Webbie said:

i was just adding my comment to your response how gave examples of illegal mods in tanks.

My example was more of WG's crazyness, allowing a mod giving clear advantage :) Hehe..

And yeah, thread is WoWs :P but nevermind.. nothing illegal around here anyways ;)

5 minutes ago, Quaksen said:

My example was more of WG's crazyness, allowing a mod giving clear advantage :) Hehe..

And yeah, thread is WoWs :P but nevermind.. nothing illegal around here anyways ;)

Indeed, been using these mods for a long time. was just adding my input that's all.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, xkoushik said:

Reshade is causing issues and WG said training room and replay enabled might also get players banned. Is the rest of the mods illegal now as well?

Actually, WG never said training room was the cause or might get you banned. In fact, they said the exact opposite yesterday. 

Message from the NA Publishing Team regarding the recent bans by Trevzor_WGA in WorldOfWarships

[–]Trevzor_WGA[S] 14 points 17 hours ago 

I have been informed that if all your mod did was enable training rooms or replays you would not have been affected.

Edited by FormulaZR
19 minutes ago, FormulaZR said:

Actually, WG never said training room was the cause or might get you banned. In fact, they said the exact opposite yesterday. 

Message from the NA Publishing Team regarding the recent bans by Trevzor_WGA in WorldOfWarships

[–]Trevzor_WGA[S] 14 points 17 hours ago 

I have been informed that if all your mod did was enable training rooms or replays you would not have been affected.

what about rest of the mods like ship direction indicator, ship movement indicator? any idea if they can get us banned?

30 minutes ago, xkoushik said:

what about rest of the mods like ship direction indicator, ship movement indicator? any idea if they can get us banned?

The Official Forum had a post by WG Staff saying they will have more information coming soon. This was posted by WG Staff: 

I agree, the current messaging does not give enough clarity on how to use third-party mods safely, at no risk of getting an unexpected ban.

The only recommendation we have at the moment - remove mods, unless you're confident that they are not "exploitable".

Also, there is another communication coming from our Dev QA team, please give us some time to make it more helpful than what I said here. Really sorry, that I sound so "corporate" in this thread.

However, yesterday this was posted by WG Staff: ReShade and the likes are mostly used to modify the visual content of the game, however, the root mechanics of such add-ons are very similar to some of the cheating mods & allow third parties to create malicious versions to inject into executable files & libraries. Unfortunately, this means, that while the intentions of most of our users are benign, the code can still be harmful. As of now all of ReShade users have been unbanned today and provided with compensation. 

The wording of that indicates to me that none of the mods used in Aslain's pack are on their "radar", so to speak as none of the mods work in the way indicated above. I'm not sure about stuff like MM monitor (because I genuinely don't know how it works) - but the actual mods, to the best of what I interpret, are in no danger of causing a ban. I will further say that I have had Aslain's mods installed for several months, had them installed at the time all the bans went out, and installed them after the 0.6.11.1 update. My account was not banned and I don't have any reason to believe I will be subject to a ban because of them. And again, as Quaksen pointed out, WG has explicitly stated those two mods are fine.

Edited by FormulaZR
4 hours ago, xkoushik said:

Is the rest of the mods illegal now as well?

Please get your questions right. The mod would be illegal if it would break the law - for example a mod stealing your credit card information when you enter it online.

All other mods (that include cheats) doesn't break the law, they are legal. The only thing they may be breaking is WG EULA you have accepted. And on that basis WG can ban you - for using mods/software banned by EULA. 

Please note, that breaking EULA doesn't equal breaking the law.

illegal -not allowed by law

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/illegal

And yes, EULA is not a law.

4 hours ago, Quaksen said:

Everything in Aslain's modpack is legal.

Like above - even if Aslain's modpack had a mod that would get banned from WG - it would still be legal.

Unless you live in South Korea - they made law there for bots/cheaters.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/286852/South_Korea_cracks_down_on_cheaters_with_law_targeting_illicit_game_mods.php

https://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/south-korea-to-make-virtual-item-trade-bots-illegal/

15 minutes ago, silvver said:

Please get your questions right. The mod would be illegal if it would break the law - for example a mod stealing your credit card information when you enter it online.

All other mods (that include cheats) doesn't break the law, they are legal. The only thing they may be breaking is WG EULA you have accepted. And on that basis WG can ban you - for using mods/software banned by EULA. 

Like above - even if Aslain's modpack had a mod that would get banned from WG - it would still be legal.

Unless you live in South Korea - they made law there for bots/cheaters.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/286852/South_Korea_cracks_down_on_cheaters_with_law_targeting_illicit_game_mods.php

https://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/south-korea-to-make-virtual-item-trade-bots-illegal/

all im asking is can aslains modpack get me banned in anyway :( and no i aint from S. Korea

28 minutes ago, silvver said:

Please. There's no point overcomplicating things with a weird statement like that.

Everyone understands when it comes to mods that "illegal" = "not allowed to use".

(And if you want to go ahead with your idea... then http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/law, "a rule, usually made by a government (Wargaming, in this case), that is used to order the way in which a society (the players) behaves")

12 minutes ago, xkoushik said:

all im asking is can aslains modpack get me banned in anyway :( and no i aint from S. Korea

Aslain's modpack is legal / allowed / legit.

There's NOTHING in the modpack that would break Wargaming's rules. You won't get banned from using Aslain's modpack.

Aslain has contact with WG, and asks them to verify mods that has even the slightest grey area.

12 minutes ago, Quaksen said:

Please. There's no point overcomplicating things with a weird statement like that.

Everyone understands when it comes to mods that "illegal" = "not allowed to use".

(And if you want to go ahead with your idea... then http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/law, "a rule, usually made by a government (Wargaming, in this case), that is used to order the way in which a society (the players) behaves")

Aslain's modpack is legal / allowed / legit.

There's NOTHING in the modpack that would break Wargaming's rules. You won't get banned from using Aslain's modpack.

Aslain has contact with WG, and asks them to verify mods that has even the slightest grey area.

Thanks for confirming i will enable training room and replays right away :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to know if in mini map - customized minimap circles is a illegal mod. it makes great colored map circles but the thing I am concerned is that it puts a X on where the shells will land... and WG said this..

What is forbidden and may lead to suspension/blocking of your account

• Any applications, mods or scripts that allow the execution of third party code, change the game's original files, dynamic libraries or inject into the game process. If you are not sure whether your preferred mod complies with all the rules, please consult the "modifications" thread on our official forums or simply refrain from using it.
  • Applications and mods that help a player to aim in any way that is not already available in the game, that includes any predictive aiming mods.
  • Bots or scripts that take any aspect of game controls from the player.
  • Applications and mods that make otherwise unknown information available, except for those mentioned and approved on the official forums or portal.

the X is what I am worried about... can someone tell me is this mod ok?`

I have a question:

A while back, Aslain claimed he was banned temporarily. Was this an illegal mod thing, or a chat behavior? The last ban-wave, Wargaming seemed readily willing to latch onto the "reshade" speculation that players used, but many people stated they didn't use reshade. 

Now, this "scripts" issue in the new "ban policy" has me concerned with mods in general.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

I have a question:

A while back, Aslain claimed he was banned temporarily. Was this an illegal mod thing, or a chat behavior? The last ban-wave, Wargaming seemed readily willing to latch onto the "reshade" speculation that players used, but many people stated they didn't use reshade. 

Now, this "scripts" issue in the new "ban policy" has me concerned with mods in general.

It was few years ago, they banned me for few days in WoWs. After pressing the Battle button I was crashing a lot due to windows/internet problems, my ship got stuck in battle and I wasn't able to return to it, the other players prolly reported me for being AFK too much, and on next day received a penalty with info tha that I run bot software that helps me gathering XP without actively playing. 

Ofc I was not running anything illegal, it was clean windows and their client, not even mouse software installed.

Yet it was long time ago, long before the Fair Play rules and their first trike second strike idea.

3 minutes ago, Mueuwer said:

Ok but wasnt "MonstroMarkers", besides Fires, all about intel like which allies is usiing X consumables at the moment if you look to them?

Yeah - the mod itself would be fine - if it didn't use scripts.zip custom files. That's the problem, using scripts.zip - not the mod itself. :)

If it gets re-made without using scripts.zip stuff, it'll be re-added most likely.

• 10 months later...

My memory is not good.  I thought the current version of the mod had the ability to mark on the mini-map the last known position of a spotted enemy vehicle.

This is now prohibited.

"Leaving “ghosts” of enemy vehicles on the battlefield where they were last detected " by wargaming.

For some reason I can not connect to the game to verify what the mod has.

Edited by Farwalker

"ghosts" is not minimap last-known positions.  ghosts are literal representations of the tanks in the game (think of the model of the tank going light or semi-transparent) to show where they are/were so you can still aim at them and shoot.  nothing to do with last-known location on the minimap. 

13 hours ago, Farwalker said:

My memory is not good.  I thought the current version of the mod had the ability to mark on the mini-map the last known position of a spotted enemy vehicle.

This is now prohibited.

"Leaving “ghosts” of enemy vehicles on the battlefield where they were last detected " by wargaming.

For some reason I can not connect to the game to verify what the mod has.

Battlefield is NOT the minimap.

Wargaming's own "Expanded Minimap Features" adds the last known positions on the minimap. Would be hillarious shit if WG forbid their own feature. :P

As @blutarskyy said, it's about literal "ghosts" on the actual battlefield. Totally unrelated to the minimap.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

It seems WG is automating some of their rules enforcement. (Now I get chat bans even when nobody is reporting me. I assume they put me on constant surveillance for being a repeat offender.)

Some players, who are not even using any mods, are getting bans for 'Illegal Mod Use'. (I wonder if the monitoring for illegal software is done through Game Center or not.) This is one guy's story:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/179310-psa-if-you-use-a-ati-card/

I don't think it has anything to do with his graphicscard.. he has a lot of focus on "FXAA" it seems.. but the "FXAA Tool" mentioned is a third party program. But he does post screenshots of the AMD Settings window, so he's probably not using "FXAA Tool"

I'm fairly sure they've said that the graphics stuff that is provided by the official AMD and Nvidia programs, are fine.

But ReShade and other third-party programs will cause a ban - because of the way they inject themselves into the game.

• 3 years later...