Shoutbox Privileges?

So I joined the site a few weeks ago - but noticed today when going to the shoutbox that I couldn't speak. There wasn't a box to type anything in for me, or a send button for messages. Is the shoutbox reserved for certain members only? Or do you get authorized to use it on case by case basis? Thanks for clarifying.

• Downvote 1

Well, I think the idea behind it is that ppl don't abuse the shoutbox and spam useless crap, unless they have applied themselves some in the forum activities and are genuinely interested in communicating with others.

It's just a guess though and I think it's not too bad of an idea.

Ppl who just come here and want to read things - and not post much - usually don't have a reason to use the shoutbox either, I would think.

Others can warm themselves up in the forums, so to speak, and then get a little bit more involved and use the shoutbox, if they please.

• Upvote 1

Hehe.

It's not too hard to get 5 comments out of your system anyway and if one cared enough, they can even be good/helpful/funny ones.

There are enough topics anyway and I bet - on a day like today - there would be hundreds of ppl just asking "when is it ready?" or "why does that not work?" all day long in the shoutbox, if there wasn't this restriction.

Kinda encourages ppl to actually visit some threads and maybe read. =P

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, I changed it to 3 posts, for educational purposes :)

To prevent new users to posts their issues on shoutbox right after registering on the forum, at least to make it harder ;)

>>>Makes Thread<<<

>>>Comments in own Thread<<<

>>>Comments again in own Thread<<<

Time to complain in the Shoutbox.  :P

Aslain mentioned the other day that you have to have made at least 5 forum posts, in order to be able to use the sandbox, iirc.

Thanks to the OP for posting this question, i was on the verge of doing so myself and thanks to Almace for answering it. Now i won't be sitting here scratching my head wondering whether i should post or not lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...