configs file will not update

I have updated my mod pack to the latest version but on installation, I get an 'error code 103' which related to the configs file. 'can't replace something that is already there' I have tried deleting all the res mods folder but the configs file won't go. installation hangs at that error with the options to ignore, retry or abort.

any ideas welcome, please.

The installer works perfectly for most.  I think it may be your anti virus.  Have you tried installing with the anti virus disabled?  Even though the AV never interfered before, something could have changed in its definitions to cause it to block something in the installation process.  Just an idea.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, greenjanner said:

Thanks for replying. I have recently changed to Bitdefender so maybe. But the problem persists which seems to be the inability to delete the configs file! I am sure that I have done that successfully on previous occasions.

Sounds like it may be a permission issue.  You can  make sure that you have ownership of the World of Tanks folder.  I had weird problems a while back because of ownership being changed on some folders....weird and I never knew how it happened.  If you are not sure how to do this Google is your friend...it is easy.

Run the installer as Admin.  Probably won't make a difference, but it is a free possibility.

Other than that, you can only hope that one of the real computer nerds can chime in and help you.  I only pretend to be one on forums.  :P

Thanks for that. I did log in as administrator this morning but that didn't help. It was, as you say, a permission issue. I needed 'Admin. permission to delete the configs file' but I am the admin! Could it mean aslain as it is his configs file? Anyway, i turned off my anti virus and tried again, i have done this before, but this time it installed properly. Why? I have no idea! I appreciate the support.

22 hours ago, greenjanner said:

Thanks for that. I did log in as administrator this morning but that didn't help. It was, as you say, a permission issue. I needed 'Admin. permission to delete the configs file' but I am the admin! Could it mean aslain as it is his configs file? Anyway, i turned off my anti virus and tried again, i have done this before, but this time it installed properly. Why? I have no idea! I appreciate the support.

If you are on a Windows machine, Microsoft introduced a feature called User Account Control (UAC) back in the Vista days.  It is a safety feature.  Even if the user is logged in as Admin not every action is ran as admin by default. The reason is that under an Admin account, the user account is not ever really the real, complete Admin.  UAC is the real boss.  If the admin account were in complete control and everything were ran as "by admin" always then everything including malware would be installed without question.  This would not be a safe way to operate the pc.  I think it depends on the application being ran as to whether or not UAC asks for permission to run as admin or it simply denies to run only a portion of a process without asking.  I think the former is what is happened in your case here.  Some mod author has created their mod in such a way that UAC, under your particular pc's settings, decides to "protect" you without asking anything.  Other people, including Aslain, may have something a little different in their Windows Security Settings and their UAC never interfered....or they always run the installer as admin manually.

I think the best thing to do is to right click on the installer exe file and tell your computer to run it as administrator.  This is how you bypass UAC and become the "real" admin.  Everything should run as it should.  You should only do this with programs that you know and trust to be safe and legit.  Aslain's is definitely one that is safe and legit.

Happy hunting on the battlefield.

• 1 month later...

It's an error message generated by the installer.  The permissions on the Aslain directory containing the file patch.exe were broken.  I run as admin, tried explicit admin, tried everything I know about permissions to no avail. I restarted my system per Aslain and I was able to remove the directory.  I was then able to install the modpack without issues, HOWEVER, upon completion of the install there is no file called patch.exe in that folder now.  While the problem was clearly local, I think it was caused by the installer. I'm guessing that a previous install process did not terminate properly leaving some working files around on the disk.  Works now :), and thanks again to Aslain and all who help on this forum.

ModPack error.PNG

On 6/24/2017 at 8:57 PM, Darth_Clicker said:

If you are on a Windows machine, Microsoft introduced a feature called User Account Control (UAC) back in the Vista days.  It is a safety feature.  Even if the user is logged in as Admin not every action is ran as admin by default. The reason is that under an Admin account, the user account is not ever really the real, complete Admin.  UAC is the real boss.  If the admin account were in complete control and everything were ran as "by admin" always then everything including malware would be installed without question.  This would not be a safe way to operate the pc.  I think it depends on the application being ran as to whether or not UAC asks for permission to run as admin or it simply denies to run only a portion of a process without asking.  I think the former is what is happened in your case here.  Some mod author has created their mod in such a way that UAC, under your particular pc's settings, decides to "protect" you without asking anything.  Other people, including Aslain, may have something a little different in their Windows Security Settings and their UAC never interfered....or they always run the installer as admin manually.

I think the best thing to do is to right click on the installer exe file and tell your computer to run it as administrator.  This is how you bypass UAC and become the "real" admin.  Everything should run as it should.  You should only do this with programs that you know and trust to be safe and legit.  Aslain's is definitely one that is safe and legit.

Happy hunting on the battlefield.

As a computer tech and a really big nerd I couldn't have said that better myself!

added 1 minute later
5 hours ago, Darth_Clicker said:

Glad you got it installed.  At first I thought your problem was very strange, then I realized what the cause of the problem is...

Computer_Gremlin_thumb7.305142140_std.jpg

Ahhh yes, the gremlins...... shame on them!

9 hours ago, Davidinlv82 said:

As a computer tech and a really big nerd I couldn't have said that better myself!

added 1 minute later

Ahhh yes, the gremlins...... shame on them!

Thanks for the compliment.  It made me smile since I only pretend in forums to know stuff about computers...:D.  I am currently on my third computer since 1998.....lol.  But now that I think about it, because I keep computers for so long, I have always had to "redneck engineer" my stuff to keep them going so maybe I have learned a little bit over the years.  To be honest, I only know just enough to mess things up really royally sometimes....haha.  But I can use Google....

4 minutes ago, Darth_Clicker said:

Thanks for the compliment.  It made me smile since I only pretend in forums to know stuff about computers...:D.  I am currently on my third computer since 1998.....lol.  But now that I think about it, because I keep computers for so long, I have always had to "redneck engineer" my stuff to keep them going so maybe I have learned a little bit over the years.  To be honest, I only know just enough to mess things up really royally sometimes....haha.  But I can use Google....

Google is anyone's best friend if they are careful about the information they get from it. I learned my trade just by tinkering and when I got old enough I went to school for it to get degrees, but to stay ahead of the curve I still learn outside of classes and courses, I use google a lot lol. But hey you gotta do what you gotta do to stay ahead of things or to fix what are normally small problems but seem to be huge ones.