X marks the spot

Hi there,

In the latest version of you wows modpack i have noticed a x target marker that indicates where you are aiming on the mini map along the gun pointing direction line.

I fell this could very easily be abused (targeting ships you cannot see but are highlighted on the mini map by team mates during a cyclone for example) and would like to see this feature removed.

• Downvote 1

But you do see my point that it could be used to target ships on the mini map that you cannot see ingame during a cyclone for instance ?

i mean ships that your team mates have spotted and are visible on the mini map but you cannot see as you are outwith spotting range.

Edited by chipps101
spelling mistake
  • Downvote 1

I guess it might help a little bit, but not sure how to test it tbh. I guess I see your point, but as Aslain also pointed out, it's approved by WG, hopefully they do enough testing before they approve stuff :P

I know one thing is for sure, and that's if you do not have a target actually locked, your guns fire a lot different than normally.

(Like if you do not have a target locked, you'll hit the mountain infront of him, instead of shooting over the mountain.. hope that makes sense)

Not really.  If you're firing over a terrain feature at that blind target without a lock your shells are most likely going to impact the terrain feature.  And the blind fire mode you're worried about isn't going to help you at all.  I've tried that very thing more than once and if you manage to get any hits you're just plain lucky as hell.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

It must be something else, or one of those I don't have installed.

I've ran this since it first came out and I've never seen it.

https://imgur.com/a/KPaBX

I'll look around and see if anyone knows.

I got the same selections for the minimap mod as you do, and I see the "code" in the config file for the x is in there. I tried another config file from somewhere else, that didn't have the same "code", and the x was missing. So it should be fine?...

7 hours ago, Quaksen said:

I got the same selections for the minimap mod as you do, and I see the "code" in the config file for the x is in there. I tried another config file from somewhere else, that didn't have the same "code", and the x was missing. So it should be fine?...

Yeah, it's pretty weird on my end. i don't see anything running what I've shown. Maybe there some sort of issue on my end.

I'm updated to _v.6.11.1.1_03

Edited by Wulfgarn
9 hours ago, Quaksen said:

1 hour ago, Wulfgarn said:

Yeah, it's pretty weird on my end. i don't see anything running what I've shown. Maybe there some sort of issue on my end.

I'm updated to _v.6.11.1.1_03

I just wanted to check again and make sure that running these two "will" enable the X mod?

https://imgur.com/a/KPaBX

I deleted Aslains via windows, and ran the integrity check through WOWS (old) installer. With everything clean, I installed _v.6.11.1.1_03, but I still don't see it.

I wanted to make sure before I headed over to the "issues and bug reporting" section.

I appreciate the help!

Edited by Wulfgarn
6 hours ago, Quaksen said:

Even without the two sub-options it should be showing the X, as far as I know.

Could you make a report over in the issues / bug reporting section, and make sure to attach the log file created by the archiver program? :)

Done!

I was mainly worried that I didn't have something turned on correctly, so i wanted to be sure before I posted in the bug section.

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

Im using this and its a clear advantage vs vanilla. I agree, it should be removed.

WG approves yeah, that dosnt mean they are right. My best guess is they simply dont understand how effective it can be(there is alot of things WG are clueless about)

Edited by Cracken
  • 3 weeks later...

The x on the minimap can be explained like the "Battleship" board game. It shows where you would have hit them in your last shell, but it doesn't give you pre-emptive information. So unless you have a 4k screen-sized minimap, you'd have a hard time doing anything but getting within a general 2-3km vicinity of the ship. Too far to effectively hit with any kind of accuracy, not close enough to be an aim assist.