Patch.exe Failure

I keep getting a failure at patch.exe where it asks me to try again, skip or abort. I've tried the try again button multiple times, but it doesn't seem to continue, then hit the skip button, where it continues, but nothing is shown installed when I start WoT. I have only experienced this during the 0.9.19.1.2 update and no other time before this. I have used this mod pack since 9.14. Suggestions......

added 1 minute later

BTW, I can only bypass this by reloading WoT from the installer program and then loading Aslain's mod pack. At that point, everything works just fine! 

I had exact same problem.  Here's what I learned and how I fixed my system.

- When the modpack has been successfully installed the directory \res_mods\configs\xvm\Aslain does NOT contain the file PATCH.EXE

- When my install failed it produced the error shown below (from the installer - not from anti-virus) when it found that PATCH.EXE was already there, 

- AND because the permissions were fouled up the installer could not move/delete/whatever it needed to do with that file.

I fixed my system by the following

* Restart system

* Delete the entire directory \res_mods\configs\xvm\Aslain

* Perform another install of latest modpack being sure to select option to "Delete all previous mods from the game"

Summary

- At some point during a previous modpack install, something went wrong which caused the installation to either malfunction or finish prematurely.

- The result of that occurrence was a corrupted file system in the aforementioned directory, where the permissions were broken and files remained that should not.

- Prior to this issue I had not received any indication of any modpack install not being successful.

- I have NO IDEA what actually caused the corruption, but my game works fine now .

ModPack error.PNG

• Upvote 3

It's not going to help me. I AM the Admin. My computer will NOT allow me to uninstall the res_mods folder because it contains a file(patch.exe) that I, as Admin, CANNOT read, run or delete. This is the SECOND time this has happened. It happened the first time after 9.19 was released. For some reason it fixed itself. Everything was fine until the #10 patch was released. I installed that, it hung up at the error, I clicked ignore, now only half the mods work. The NON-XVM mods. xvm is completely disabled.

Did you restart your system?  If you did, and still cannot remove the files I would suggest you create a new user with full administrator privileges, restart your computer (not switch user, not log off), log in as new admin user and then try to delete the files.  Hope it helps.

11 hours ago, Tunka_Elk said:

It's not going to help me. I AM the Admin. My computer will NOT allow me to uninstall the res_mods folder because it contains a file(patch.exe) that I, as Admin, CANNOT read, run or delete. This is the SECOND time this has happened. It happened the first time after 9.19 was released. For some reason it fixed itself. Everything was fine until the #10 patch was released. I installed that, it hung up at the error, I clicked ignore, now only half the mods work. The NON-XVM mods. xvm is completely disabled.

Even though you are the admin, Windows UAC (User Account Control) has some control over what it allows the admin account to install.  You can right click on the file you wish to install and choose "run as admin" to bypass UAC.  Often, problems such as yours are solved by doing this.  Hope it helps you.

So this problem just resurfaced.

• Installed the 9.20 modpack (deselected tank highlighter).  Install was successful with no anomalies or errors
  • Game started me stuck in some weird zoom mode where the only things i could see were OTM's with map section in background.  no tanks were visible.
  • Started game in safe mode and it worked fine.
  • Tried to remove modpack and I could not remove the \res_mods\configs\xvm\Aslain folder due to patch.exe and fouled permissions again.
  • Restarted computer and was able to delete folder/file
  • Playing vanilla

This is kinda scary when something is trashing permissions repeatedly.

The only thing that worked for me was to boot into Win10 Safe Mode and delete the file from there then restart system normally.

For those who don't know how to boot into Safe Mode on Win10:

>Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select

Power > Restart.

>After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

>After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options:

>>Select F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

(I used F4. Once it boots the Desktop will load in low resolution. Get to your C:/Games/World of Tanks/res_mods/config/xvm/Aslains/patch.exe file. Delete the file then delete the "config" folder. There should be nothing but 9.20 (or9.19) folder there. If there is another folder, delete that as well. There should be NOTHING in the /res_mods folder except the version folder.)

Once you've deleted everything just shutdown and start your computer.