Install Error: sed.exe file

In the last several updates, my install has not worked properly.  I'm getting install errors due to a file named sed.exe which appears in 4 different directories.  I cannot manually delete the file, because it is set up with permissions that require administrator access from the original author.  I can't even see permissions for the file.

During the install, if I select "Retry" I just get the same error message.

In addition to the log zip file, I've attached a Word document with screenshots that show how I have tried to access the file with MY administrator access.

Screenshot description:

1, 7, 8, 9 -- the files that are causing the install errors.

2 -- Error when trying to delete the file.

3 -- Error when trying to delete the file with my administrator access.

4, 5, 6 -- I can not even see the properties of the file with my own administrator access.

Aslains_WoT_Logs.zip

Aslain Install Problem.docx

• Administrator
8 hours ago, 1SL_Comms_Off said:

I use McAfee LiveSafe, not malwarebytes.  And no problem with any of the recent upgrades until this week.

I didn't change anything in installation methods, it's for sure something localy on your pc interfering the process of installation.

Browse to that folders, and try to manualy delete sed.exe files, recommended is to use windows console.

I have the same problem.  No admin permissions to get rid of it and even manual deletion doesn't work.  It only affects WoT and not WoW as I do plain vanilla client for the latter.  I don't know if it's coming from Aslain's or one of the WoT patches of late.  I do the "Ignore" and have to do it four times since that's the number of times it appears in the res mods folder.  By Ignoring, it allows the installation of the latest Aslains's.  I've done malwalbyte scans and McAfee scans and they aren't detecting anything wrong.  But, now I cant go plain vanilla like I used to and Aslains' is the only variable I can think of unless Wargaming has inserted this exe file without telling anyone.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it (short of a full reinstall of WoT) would be helpful.

Then, Aslain, can you program your mod packs so I don't get the errors?  Right now, there are now 2 sub-folders in my res_mod folder, one for each micropatch that's been released recently and it won't allow me to go plain vanilla and download a clean copy of your modpack, if necessary. Screenshot for reference as I have to "Ignore" the "sed.exe" in order to update with the latest version. I can't merely delete the sub-folder now.

image.thumb.png.650d9b9d3182cea3893ffe8198d74280.png

Edited by Mustang2209
  • Like 1

I've had this issue in the past and used a file unlocker to unlock the sed.exe file so the modpack could install properly. I tried to delete it, but like you wasn't able to bc I didn't have the necessary permissions to do so. The program I used is "IObit Unlocker" and it's free. That's what worked for me. 

• Administrator
On 11/5/2017 at 2:50 AM, Mustang2209 said:

Then, Aslain, can you program your mod packs so I don't get the errors? 

This is not the installer error, but local problem in your windows. Might be caused by several things, like file being locked, file having wrong permissions, file having no owner etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not a computer expert so I don't know about how the file may be have been locked or what would cause it.  I've never had trouble with your modpack until the patch before last.  No matter - next time I update my mods because of a new patch, I'll see if it happens again and provide some feedback.

Thanks,

On 11/6/2017 at 10:12 AM, Aslain said:

This is not the installer error, but local problem in your windows. Might be caused by several things, like file being locked, file having wrong permissions, file having no owner etc.

I don't think it's an installer error.  The thing is, file permissions and owner status happen at the origin end, when you make the files available for download.
I can't even look at those sed.exe files in my Windows, due to the permissions that are set on the file at its origin.  As I pointed out in my screenshots, I can't even change the access because I do have the sufficient permissions.  As you can see from the other messages in this thread, I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem.

I think what you need to do is make sure that permissions on all the files available for download are set so that everyone has full access.

Thanks for your attention to this.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:04 PM, Mustang2209 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not a computer expert so I don't know about how the file may be have been locked or what would cause it.  I've never had trouble with your modpack until the patch before last.  No matter - next time I update my mods because of a new patch, I'll see if it happens again and provide some feedback.

Thanks,

I had this problem in the past, but not for quite a while.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:45 AM, kommador8t8 said:

I have that issue every now and then. To solve it, I restart my PC and then run the installer again. Works every time.

Tried both of those multiple times.  No dice.  And even waited for the next update, thinking that a newer install might overwrite all the files.  Nope.