!!! VERY IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT script.zip !!!

• Administrator

Hello, friends!

On Dec. 13 we will roll out the 0.6.14.2 update.
Starting with this patch, any and all modifications to the script.zip file will be forbidden. 
I kindly ask you not to use this file in your compilations and standalone modifications anymore.
On the same day (Dec. 13) we will publish an announcement from the development regarding “WoWS Game Modifications Rules and Regulations”.
This measure is designed to fight modifications that give a tangible advantage to the players who use them over others, who do not.

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/announcement/28-wows-game-modifications-rules-and-regulations/

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/announcement/29-about-scriptzip-files/

That means I will remove two mods from the modpack:

- Detailed Damage Indicator

- MonstroMarkers

3 minutes ago, Battlenat0r said:

Didn't see the reason for them NOT to allow these mods based upon scripts file..

I don't think those two particular mods are the issue.

The issue is what else is possible with that file.. I'm assuming that they found out it's used for cheat mods, and thus want to forbid the usage of the file.

Funny, scripts.zip would still only be client side... so, if this is a server side game, then modifying this shouldn't give any undue advantage, as WG would be "cutting us off at the pass..."

Now, I'm worried, because I don't use the two aforementioned mods, yet my "scripts.zip" file is showing modified 12/11/2017... I dunno if it's modified after Aslains or not.. How do I make sure?

1 minute ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Now, I'm worried, because I don't use the two aforementioned mods, yet my "scripts.zip" file is showing modified 12/11/2017... I dunno if it's modified after Aslains or not.. How do I make sure?

If you want to be sure it's 100% clean of anything past - delete it - and then in the launcher, run the integrity check - a brand new file will be downloaded.

And while it is a server side game - the data about ship speed etc is still told to your client, and potentially something in scripts.zip could use that info, and display cheaty-things :)

That's my assumption for them forbidding modding that file now.

2 minutes ago, Quaksen said:

If you want to be sure it's 100% clean of anything past - delete it - and then in the launcher, run the integrity check - a brand new file will be downloaded.

And while it is a server side game - the data about ship speed etc is still told to your client, and potentially something in scripts.zip could use that info, and display cheaty-things :)

That's my assumption for them forbidding modding that file now.

And, yet, since that is also in the API, it's able to be modded without editing that .zip file. Regardless, that information is there for every player, all the same. All that editing the script does is change what is graphically represented to you.

2 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

All that editing the script does is change what is graphically represented to you.

And that's exactly the problem they want to fight. :)

I still remember when they screwed up their update, and left in the aim prediction from their test server by mistake.. mods utilized that to display exact dot where to aim ahead of a ship. :D

This is like paint drying, they take a graphic display that provides information of hits or lack there of to and from your guns.... something that they can actually display if they are smart.

And the replacement is to fall back on the "flags" of hit pen no-pen etc that spring up during battle for a second or so... hmmms....

Someone found out that if you keep people in the dark as to who hit them or how your own damage figures are doing, you would not work out whether to use HE or AP on a particular ship.... don't want the paying public to find that sort of information out now would we.

Add to the frustration level, then a percentage of them will pay $$ to buy Premium, and or anything else that costs $$

And we wonder why there is an average of 5k on the server.....  not a good revenue focus to upset your clients, no clients, no revenue. But they do it so well and so often maybe they really think they actually do have a brilliant plan. 

BC

Just a quick question regarding the Detailed Damage Indicator:

Do you think there will be a workaround for the Detailed Damage Indicator, or a replacement that shows the same info?
I greatly miss that particular Mod since it was taken out.

Other than that, great work keeping the Pack up-to-date, even a while back when you were in Hospital!  Respekt!

• Aslain unpinned this topic