WOT Announcement today(April 24th) of newly banned cheat mods

1 minute ago, Quaksen said:

Yup. It was actually bannable before the Fair Play Policy, on all servers, except for EU.

Like if you were an NA streamer, you could get banned for it, is my understanding.

And then FPP came along - and made it legal! Like what was WG thinking, lol.

Indeed! A lot of things they do or say make you facepalm. Oh to be inside the minds at WG,,,,,,,on second thought, no

See and this is where I don't agree with WG ...

1. Selling premium ammo gives an advantage, especially since you are quite likely going to have to buy gold or silver if you spam it. Yet somehow that is not unfair ?

2. Selling premium vehicles ... hey lookie same argument

3. Purple mods (whatever their official name is) ... sure you can get them if you play like a no-lifer ... but for the casual player unless I am missing something, not that much

All of these things are according to WG not an issue, mind you I am not arguing here they should be banned or not... Just pointing out some realities...

Now here we have a mod, that's free, and anyone can install in minutes ... arguably doing things that a spotter in a tank would do in real life as well ... but somehow it is unfair ?

And again not here to debate against or for them being removed. Just pointing out the logic give is pretty darn dubious.

Color me confused.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:59 PM, Optimized_Tomato said:

The showing of where the guns are pointing on the mini map should have always been a banned mod. Gives the user of the mod a unfair advantage, especially when dealing with tanks you know have slow turret rotation.

When the mod no longer showed the way guns are pointing on the minimap outside of your render distance, Wargaming NA said the mod was legal because it only showed information you could get from teammates in game chat or through TeamSpeak or from a legal zoom out mod.  It didn't give you any information you couldn't get from team mates or other legal mods.  That was their reasoning behind it the mod being legal.

Wargaming changed their position on the legality of the mod several times since then.  I got banned for it after two higher level Wargaming NA employees told me it was a legal mod.  I contacted the employees that said it was legal and also sent support screenshots from the forum where the Wargaming employees said it was legal.  Then Wargaming cancelled the ban and removed the history of the ban from my account so I have no strikes on my account.  I think I posted something here about it happening a couple years ago.  It all started when I filed a support ticket about a teammate that was making many racist remarks about other teammates in chat and I sent in screenshots.

Wargaming was inconsistent about the legality of mods from month to month and from server to server.  It wasn't until the fair play policy where they were much more consistent on legal mods.

5 hours ago, EngelenH said:

See and this is where I don't agree with WG ...

1. Selling premium ammo gives an advantage, especially since you are quite likely going to have to buy gold or silver if you spam it. Yet somehow that is not unfair ?

2. Selling premium vehicles ... hey lookie same argument

3. Purple mods (whatever their official name is) ... sure you can get them if you play like a no-lifer ... but for the casual player unless I am missing something, not that much

I disagree with some of that. 

1. Premium ammo has been available for credits for a long time.  I can still make a profit playing the E100 and some other tier 10 tanks firing all premium ammo.  I can make a profit playeying lower tier tanks firing mostly premium ammo.  I also earned a bunch of gold in the past from clan wars when the gold values of land was higher and from tournaments when tournaments had higher payouts.  Before Clan Wars 2.0 showing up 3 nights a week for at least 1 clan wars battle earned me enough gold to pay for premium time for the month in the monthly payout and sometimes still have gold left over.

2. Until recently, most premium vehicles weren't as good as their same tier counterparts.  They allowed players to spend money or gold to reduce the time to train crews and earn credits.  Even now I can still beat a less skilled Defender or IS-3A driver/player in my IS-6 or IS-3.  I used gold from clan wars and tournaments to pay for premium tanks and premium time.  In several of the non OP tier 8 premiums I use to be able to sustain a 55-60% win rate over 100+ battles.  A Defender or Skorp G won't make a below average player a top tier player all of a sudden.

3. I use to earn a lot of bonds in a short period of time playing grand battles, ranked battles and tier 10 tanks.  I've made it to Silver in ranked battles playing tech tree tanks and no clan wars reward tanks.  In addition to that, Wargaming gave out several thousand bonds and the T-50-2 to players that have been playing the game for more than a few years.  That was enough for many players to buy purple equipment.  You don't need to be a no lifer to buy purple equipment.  Also some of the crew directives give you almost the same bonus as purple equipment over regular equipment.

So I see the new mod pack was released and does not include the turret directions (probably others, but I didn't use them), but I noticed that the auto-aim assist is still in the modpack. I reread the most recent Fair Play announcement and was curios is the auto-aim assist falls in the new wording of this point.

• Auto-aim — or “aimbots” — that provide more functionality than the “aim lock” in the vanilla client, including those that aim at the enemy's weak spots, or at weakly armored vehicles/at enemy vehicles in general, and also fix the sight on the target behind an obstacle or calculate the lead instead of the player 

Fixing the sight on the target behind an obstacle is one feature of the auto-aim assist, so shouldn't that be removed as well, or was it reworked to not fix the sight on a target behind an obstacle? Or am I reading that all wrong?

4 minutes ago, GenPanzer said:

So I see the new mod pack was released and does not include the turret directions (probably others, but I didn't use them), but I noticed that the auto-aim assist is still in the modpack. I reread the most recent Fair Play announcement and was curios is the auto-aim assist falls in the new wording of this point.

• Auto-aim — or “aimbots” — that provide more functionality than the “aim lock” in the vanilla client, including those that aim at the enemy's weak spots, or at weakly armored vehicles/at enemy vehicles in general, and also fix the sight on the target behind an obstacle or calculate the lead instead of the player 

Fixing the sight on the target behind an obstacle is one feature of the auto-aim assist, so shouldn't that be removed as well, or was it reworked to not fix the sight on a target behind an obstacle? Or am I reading that all wrong?

That message is still over 2 years old, read the thread, there's no changes at all.

Again: The only 3 types of mods affected by the coming policy change, are the 3 types they listed. NOTHING ELSE.

Fixing the sight on a target behind an obstacle is NOT a feature of the autoaim indication mod - it hasn't been a feature of it for OVER TWO YEARS.

17 minutes ago, Quaksen said:

That message is still over 2 years old, read the thread, there's no changes at all.

Again: The only 3 types of mods affected by the coming policy change, are the 3 types they listed. NOTHING ELSE.

Fixing the sight on a target behind an obstacle is NOT a feature of the autoaim indication mod - it hasn't been a feature of it for OVER TWO YEARS.

If you say so, but the article said the changed wording is in bold. Just checking. Better safe than sorry. 

3 minutes ago, GenPanzer said:

If you say so, but the article said the changed wording is in bold. Just checking. Better safe than sorry. 

And?

The mod still doesn't do "fix the sight on the target behind an obstacle" - and hasn't done so for OVER TWO YEARS.

The wording on a few things were changed - but the article still has a list that specifies the illegal mods being added.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:12 PM, Bavor said:

I disagree with some of that. 

1. Premium ammo has been available for credits for a long time.  I can still make a profit playing the E100 and some other tier 10 tanks firing all premium ammo.  I can make a profit playeying lower tier tanks firing mostly premium ammo.  I also earned a bunch of gold in the past from clan wars when the gold values of land was higher and from tournaments when tournaments had higher payouts.  Before Clan Wars 2.0 showing up 3 nights a week for at least 1 clan wars battle earned me enough gold to pay for premium time for the month in the monthly payout and sometimes still have gold left over.

2. Until recently, most premium vehicles weren't as good as their same tier counterparts.  They allowed players to spend money or gold to reduce the time to train crews and earn credits.  Even now I can still beat a less skilled Defender or IS-3A driver/player in my IS-6 or IS-3.  I used gold from clan wars and tournaments to pay for premium tanks and premium time.  In several of the non OP tier 8 premiums I use to be able to sustain a 55-60% win rate over 100+ battles.  A Defender or Skorp G won't make a below average player a top tier player all of a sudden.

3. I use to earn a lot of bonds in a short period of time playing grand battles, ranked battles and tier 10 tanks.  I've made it to Silver in ranked battles playing tech tree tanks and no clan wars reward tanks.  In addition to that, Wargaming gave out several thousand bonds and the T-50-2 to players that have been playing the game for more than a few years.  That was enough for many players to buy purple equipment.  You don't need to be a no lifer to buy purple equipment.  Also some of the crew directives give you almost the same bonus as purple equipment over regular equipment.

All of your points sort of make sense ... until you add in that the counters you provide depend on 'harder to get' prerequisites than 'just downloading a mod' which you can do with no effort. I never got free bonds, never got the t-50-2, am not in a clan, play only weekends consistently (and the occasional evening match on weekdays if I am not dead tired from work) etc.

My point remains anecdotal examples aside. Compared to these 3 clear advantage giving things I fail to see how a freely downloadable mod is typecast as 'unfair'. Anybody can get it in minutes. Now this does not mean I approve of just any mod that can be downloaded in the same manner or even these mods in particular. I just find the reasoning in explaining why they are now classified as unfair or even cheats ... well pretty darned flawed.