Malware detections

Just letting you know of the following issues:

- Windows alerts that the Aslains installer is unsigned and thus potentially malicious. 

- Bitdefender detects an exploit in unins000.exe.

If these are innocuous... I suggest fixing them so that they don't trigger these kinds of alerts.

The Windows "Smart"Screen warning has always been there, and requires signing. It costs money. And not just a small amount, as far as I know. (Not a malware warning at all - just Windows saying "Hey, I don't know this file, do you want to run it anyways?")

Show the message you're seeing for whatever reason in Bitdefender, but it's probably a false positive. Something you can get fixed by reporting it to Bitdefender as well.

You can also run the file on VirusTotal.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  I ended up deleting the whole Aslains folder.  I figured that would be enough since bitdefender would not let me run the uninstaller and I was going to reinstall anyway.

Sadly now the installer fails because it wants to move Uninst000.exe to the newly recreated folder and for some reason it get Access Denied (even with Bitdefender completely turned off).  When I skip it... it then fails trying to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_is1.  RegSetValueEx failed; code 5 Access is denied. I checked in regedit... and there is no Aslains_WoT_modpack_installer_is1 key there either.  No idea why it is failing with access denied.

I contacted bitdefender and there are no quarantined files.  They say it has to be something being set by the installer as read-only that did not get unset when I deleted the folder instead of using the uninstaller?

So... I can't reinstall Alsains.  Any suggestions to how to fix this?  Or have I lost all ability to use the Aslains modpack?  I hope there is a fix.

Where does the installer put the files temporarily before moving them to the destination Aslain_Modpack folder?

Edited by rustyJunk
Added a question - possible clue to problem.

My Avast alerted to Malware also for some reason. I've never had to worry about the mod. First time this has ever happened. I even manually scanned it and it still alerted. Going back to previous version 13.

Edited by Sailorboy