anti-virus blocking mod installer (world of tanks)

Dear Aslain,
since it doesn't come with versions until no.4, I think it's not due to our antiviruses, but instead, it comes with someone of the updated mods in version 5

immagine.png.c1107dd38c0cc4240b130226fcfbdfb7.png

Please solve this in future issues since you are doing an extremely good work with this modpack and it would be a pity to lose all this due to a damn virus.
Thanks in advance

users are reporting it with avast and avg, despite what that report says.  still getting virus alerts for 06.  it would be really nice if you could remove the offending mod from 05.  guessing the "installer" in "installer to Inno Setup 6.1.2" is triggering virus scanner hueristics, perhaps justifiably depending on how it installs  things.  that way you won't keep getting hounded by people complaining about virus alerts ;)

Aslain replied in that thread 4 times, hopefully you had a look there. :grin:

If you're worried about the downloaded file, you can always check the SHA-256 value, it's listed on the download page, and if they match, you have the correct file that Aslain made. He's very strict when it comes to stuff like that.

Have looked at this thread, its not just my AV that is blocking it, Google Chrome browser is having issues and looking to block the download - see below screenshot after I click on the up arrow next to 'keep' button and then click on 'learn more'.

image.thumb.png.48ea915f1cc690e5b43a781285832a69.png

I say 'keep', it downloads and that is when I get the AV warnings. I've tried turning off AV and also updating it, still having issues. I have also reported it as a false positive after running the file through Virustotal.

Its not a major problem - I'll keep using the previous modpack - so I can continue playing WoT, but just annoying.

Edited by Dippydazzler
1 hour ago, Dippydazzler said:

Have looked at this thread, its not just my AV that is blocking it, Google Chrome browser is having issues and looking to block the download - see below screenshot after I click on the up arrow next to 'keep' button and then click on 'learn more'.

I say 'keep', it downloads and that is when I get the AV warnings. I've tried turning off AV and also updating it, still having issues. I have also reported it as a false positive after running the file through Virustotal.

Its not a major problem - I'll keep using the previous modpack - so I can continue playing WoT, but just annoying.

That is the torrent file itself, and not related to the other issue in this thread.

The modpack itself should download just fine. The warning you're seeing is purely because Chrome is doing changes that will eventually block what they feel like are unsafe stuff, basically stuff downloaded from a http link (which the torrent file is currently), and the others are https. :)

The torrent link should be on https now too, so warning shouldn't be there anymore.

Edited by Quaksen
Added torrent explanation.

I have seen similar issues with Avast with the past few versions of the modpack, and have had to temporarily suspect Avast in order to install. 

Today was a first though - Avast is now blocking the connection to all of the direct download sites! Examples screen caps below.

I'm familiar with the potential for false positives - but Avast seems to have encountered enough (presumably) false positives they have blacklisted the download servers as well.

Yes, I could of course temporarily disable Avast again, download, install, re-enable Avast - but that is not exactly good practice from a security standpoint, right?

I'll look into report this to Avast as well.

CudaOne

FYI - URL to report a suspected false positive (file or URL) for Avast: https://www.avast.com/en-us/false-positive-file-form.php

image.png.36e710d65536c22a45a7b2e5e61577b5.pngimage.png.8b4a603083a77005d28fedbfc2c09850.png

• Administrator

I didnt remove any offending mod, I compiled the exe with different compiler, your paranoid anti-virus soft wanted to fight some imaginary threats from an exe compiled with the latest Inno version.

Before I release new modpack with a new compiler I will have to write to developers of your AV.

Please report which AV reported it, so far it was Avast and AVG, anything else?

• Like 1
1 ora fa, Aslain ha scritto:

I didnt remove any offending mod, I compiled the exe with different compiler, your paranoid anti-virus soft wanted to fight some imaginary threats from an exe compiled with the latest Inno version.

Before I release new modpack with a new compiler I will have to write to developers of your AV.

Please report which AV reported it, so far it was Avast and AVG, anything else?

Thanks Aslain for the fix to the installer. Everyone who uses the network all day has to face attacks of all kinds and, even if it is a false positive, especially when it reflects on a game installed on a machine that is also used to work, it creates some apprehension. This again denotes your professionalism and competence that distinguishes you from others and places you as the top among modpack distributors.
I think I can speak for everyone who uses your modpack when I thank you so much for the great job you do and continue to do. :thumbsup:

• Administrator

Thank you Kappo72, of course the safety of my users is my top priority, that's why I returned to an older compiler, so you guys don't have to be concerned with this false-positive at this time. Antivirus software is obviously very useful, but the heuristic used in scanning files is very inaccurate and very often resulting with a false-positives, thus denigrating software developers like me, because users very often trust their antivirus program more than mine.