Can I see Some Mods Source Code to See How its done?

• 4 weeks later...

There are plenty of them, and most of the mods, depending of course the type of mod it is, are usually just straight up source code themselves. For instance, some are written in python, some in unbound or unbound2, some of the less code intensive mods, like texture mods, are simply xml files pointing to the file to use instead of another file. 

There are a bunch of tutorials here

That's the NA (edit: somehow the .eu didn't clue me in to the fact that it's the EU forum...) EU WoWS forum, and it's in the "Modding Tutorials, Guides, and Tools" section. There is a lot of tutorials, documentation, and guides that you could look at. Personally, just due to you being used to functional programming languages rather than Object Oriented Programming, I'd recommend the free, but outdated, Code Academy course on Python2. Python2 is dead (long overdue too), but the basics that that course, which is interactive, in browser, for free, are all basically the same in Python 3. The differences are subtle, but enough to not be straight backwards compatible. If you don't mind paying, the Python 3 course, as well as the additional "Pro" content, will get you a lot deeper into it, but, for free, go with the Python 2 course. Here's a link to the Python 2 CodeAcademy course. I'm not sponsored by them, nor do I have any financial relationship with them, I've never used pro, I just learned Python2 (coming from Java in high school at the time) almost half a dozen years ago on that, and it's only improved since. 

A few tutorials I'd recommend as far as modding WoWS:

Basically, you definitely need Python, and possibly some Flash programming skills, depending on the mod you want to make. 

Edited by Chemputer
I can't read. NA -> EU
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's talk about legal mods only. WARNING: modding the Python scripts in scrips.zip is no longer allowed, anyone caught using it will be banned.

To see some mod source code install your fav mods with Aslain's mod installer then open File Explorer. I marked the location of the source code of three different types of mods:

1. Unbound
  2. Unbound 2.0
  3. PnF (Python and Flash, using the ModAPI)

The Unbound mods are in .../unbound/mods/ and you will see two files with the same name but different extensions for a mod:

• the .swf (Shock Wave Film) is the Flash object, you don't write or mod it, it is compiled from the
  • .xml file that is a proprietary script based on <bind> -s, similar to Flex, this is the source code for the mod

The mod's .xml works in conjunction with the standard markup.xml and styles.xml files that are in .../unbound/ (they have to be extracted):

• a code block with the same name as one in the standard .xml files overwrites the original one
  • a code block that does not exist in the standard .xml files gets added to them

Unbound 2.0 mods are written in ActionScript, PnF mods are a combo of Unbound and Python and some others, like skins and sound mods are quite different. Check out https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/694-modding-tutorials-guides-and-tools-english/

Enjoy!

Capture.JPG

• Like 1