Issues with mods/game settings?

Hello, So I have been having issues with certain mods not showing on my laptop screen when I am not at home or when I have the game playing on my laptop screen. So I am an over the road truck driver and I play WOWs while I am out on the road. The problem is that when I am at home I have no problem seeing my chat bar, ship repair mod and score timer mod on my 50" flat screen tv, but when I have to use my laptop screen to play WOWs certain things disappear from view and I'm not sure how to get them back in view. My laptop is set as the primary monitor all the time. I have included two SS with this topic. Also if I uninstall all of the mods the game has no problems. I am able to see my chat bar in-game, and ship icon. Please let me know what I can do to be able to play with the mods from Aslain's Modpack and not have the issues with them. Thank you for your time in this matter. 

Main Laptop screen.jpg

Samsung TV.jpg

Aslains_WoWs_Logs.zip

Hey @MaddTrker,

Your laptop's display is HD with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080; while your TV is 4K with 3,840 x 2,160. The absolute positions of different screen elements are given as X and Y co-ordinates. If the X is bigger than 1,920 and/or the Y is bigger than 1,080 the element will be outside of your laptop screen so it won't show.

Solution #1: Delete the position co-ordinates of the mods that do not show and then re-initialize them on your laptop screen.

These co-ordinates are stored in a file called preferences.xml in the World_of_Warships folder. The X co-ordinates for different mods will be between the <IMPositionX> and </IMPositionX> tags, the Y co-ordinates will be listed between the <IMPositionY> and </IMPositionY> tags and they have distinctive names. For example for the two (your own and the enemy's) score timers:

<IMPositionX>

<STEnemy>	1148.0000	</STEnemy>
	<STAlly>	1040.0000	</STAlly>

</IMPositionX>
<IMPositionY>

<STEnemy>	121.0000	</STEnemy>
	<STAlly>	119.0000	</STAlly>

</IMPositionY>

If you delete the 2 STEnemy and the 2 STAlly lines and save the preferences.xml file (make sure it is saved as .xml and not .txt) the mod's position co-ordinates willl revert to their default values. The default values are calculated from the actual screen size when the mod is first launched, so make sure you launch the game on your laptop screen. For some mods you will have to do this every time you switch from your big screen to the small one, unless you can find positions for your mods that kinda work on both resolutions.

The co-ordinates for the chat mod are called <advChat>; for the Advanced HP Indicator they are <advHPIndicator_positionX> and <advHPIndicator_positionY> but those are further down, between the <chatBoxWidth> and </chatBoxWidth> tags.

Solution #2: Delete the preferences.xml file. (Or just move it, to play it safe) It will be re-created when you launch the game next time but you will have to re-customize all your client and mod settings.

Solution #3: Maintain two versions of the preferences.xml file. COPY your preferences.xml file to a folder called TV, then do Solution #1 or #2. COPY the new preferences.xml from World_of_Warships to a folder called Laptop. When you want to play COPY the preferences.xml from the appropriate folder to the World_of_Warships folder and overwrite the one there. Save new copies of preferences.xml from time to time.

Solution #4: Use your big screen TV also at 1,920 x 1,080 resolution. I bet 4K looks stunning, however the 30Hz refresh is kinda slow for gaming. If you drop down to HD I think the refresh rate can go up to 60Hz. Then you have to do Solution #1 or #2 only once.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your help Capt_Oveur. Sorry it took so long for me to be able to respond to your advice. Yes, the game looks very stunning on my big screen TV compared to my laptop screen. One question I have based on your advice here is, if you were having the same issue I am currently having what option would you most likely use? Either way Thank you for your help with this issue.  

1. Your existing config works on your big screen, so make the TV folder and copy your preferences.xml there.
  2. You also want to play on your laptop, so do #1 or #2 next
  3. When you are happy with how your mods look on your laptop, make the Laptop folder and copy the new preferences.xml there
  4. Use 4k for movies but try #4, i.e. play a few battles on your TV with the new preferences.xml you just made for your laptop, but at HD resolution and 60Hz refresh.
    1. If you like it you are done, keep using HD when you play on your TV (#4), you may delete the Laptop and the TV folders with the preferences.xml files
    2. If you don't like it, you will do #3, you keep the two different preferences.xml files you made and copy the one from the TV folder back to World_of_Warships when you play on your TV in 4k, and copy the one back from the Laptop folder before you play on your laptop. Once in a while, when you finished playing, you may want to copy the preferences.xml back from the World_of_Warships folder to the Laptop or TV folder, whatever device you just used, to keep it up-to-date. It would be fairly easy to write two batch files to make it automatic.

There is one more thing you may try, but I dunno if it's gonna work because I don't have a 4K display ☹️

Solution #5?: Use different UI scales for the different resolutions: keep your TV at 4K, but in Settings increase the UI scale to max. Arrange your mods and see if they show up on your HD laptop screen with the UI scale set at minimum.

yeah, I have tried setting the UI scale higher, but I don't think I had it at the maximum setting when I switched back to my laptop from the 4k display. Maybe I'll try that one if it does this again. For now I used option 2 and deleted the entire preference.xml file and started over again. Thank you again for all of your help with this issue. Now I'll know what to do if this happens again. Thank you.