Why does arty hate me?

I have a dislike for arty for better or worse.  That is not the point of this post.  I simply want to know if this happens to everyone, or just me.

I finally find a target, he is sitting perfectly still, and I wait for the aim circle to completely close (6 - 15 seconds), then CLICK, and he takes off.   It's as if sixth sense is warning him that I pulled trigger instead of warning him when he is spotted.  If however, I shoot before the aim circle is fully closed the shot ALWAYS misses as bad as is possible, even at a range of 25 metres.

It happens very often (to the point where long-ago I just stopped playing arty.

So, does this happen to anyone else?

• Administrator

Same RNG/MM crap in AW, I had a winrate of 44% after 3 days of playing, while a friend who was playing at same time has 57%. I was getting idiot teams, and my team was usually lost 15x0.... He made to t5 in no time and I'm struggling in t3... what a joy...

That's RNG for you :P Sometimes you'll one-shot tanks left and right, other times, you'll hit nothing at all...

I played from tier 2 to tier 5, the number of time I oneshot ANY tank can be counted on 1 hand, I sold all my SPGs and swear I'm will not ride one again.

When personal mission came out, I rebought SPG and can't even complete the 2nd mission, sold it again, will not touch again, for real this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there are mods that some use to tell them when they are aimed at. They can also tell them when you are ready to fire. You will be able to tell if someone has one by watching what they do. If they sit there but move as soon as you aim at them, wait untill they stop. Try aiming again if they repeat then they may be getting help. Note that 6th sense will warn them but there is a built in delay for that to happen.

Actually there are mods that some use to tell them when they are aimed at. They can also tell them when you are ready to fire. You will be able to tell if someone has one by watching what they do. If they sit there but move as soon as you aim at them, wait untill they stop. Try aiming again if they repeat then they may be getting help. Note that 6th sense will warn them but there is a built in delay for that to happen.

Do you have a link to one of these mods?  I have read where people say that such mods exist but nobody has ever shown where it is available.  I believe that such mods are only a myth.  Some players have learned not to sit still long enough for arty to get aimed and when they move, they have learned to move more than the splash circle of the arty shell.  This frustrates the crap out of me as I am an arty only player...lol.

As far as RNG in the arty game, after over 20k battles in arty, I believe that the biggest RNG in the game is the player driving the tank that I am aiming at.

I have a dislike for arty for better or worse.  That is not the point of this post.  I simply want to know if this happens to everyone, or just me.

I finally find a target, he is sitting perfectly still, and I wait for the aim circle to completely close (6 - 15 seconds), then CLICK, and he takes off.   It's as if sixth sense is warning him that I pulled trigger instead of warning him when he is spotted.  If however, I shoot before the aim circle is fully closed the shot ALWAYS misses as bad as is possible, even at a range of 25 metres.

It happens very often (to the point where long-ago I just stopped playing arty.

So, does this happen to anyone else?

I think that it has to do with the habits of you as well as your target.  From watching tanks through the arty sight for over 20k battles, most good tank drivers seem to always fire then move...stop to finish reloading in "safety" and then move back into firing position.  Getting back into firing position, finding their next target and waiting on their aim circle is usually a bit faster than the aim time of most arties.  Therefore you aim at them and wait, but they have acquired their target, aimed, fired and are beginning to move by the time arty gets fully aimed.  So what to do?  Well, playing most arties is very much an exercise in patience and self control for me.  You have to study your target for a bit.  Most "average" and below "average" tank drivers are creatures of habit.  This fire, retreat and reload, return, aim and fire again cycle is the same over and over for them.  So, if you watch this cycle a time or two, you may be able to have a feeling for the rhythm and adjust your timing.  Some players will move immediately after firing and others will sit and wait for their shell to land before moving.  This is all important information if you wish to do better in arty. 

• Upvote 1