Can't get gun to fire?

I noticed something pretty interesting about the way the game really works "under the hood".

I am lighting a target and try to shoot him but my gun won't fire (no matter how hard I push the button), and BOOM, I am dead. 

I'm guessing that I was already dead because the server had already done the damage/kill calculations the instant my opponent pulled his trigger, even though the round hadn't left his barrel yet. 

So, I'm still in the battle, still have full mobility, but technically, I am already dead.  It also explains why I have been unable to outrun those really slow BIG Howitzer rounds you can see coming a mile away and look like you could just reach up and catch like a baseball.

Pure speculation of course.

This has happened to me before, and I'm not exactly sure what causes it. However, I would have to disagree with your specualtion because in my experience, this has occurred even whilst I am alive, even if no one is shooting at me. Usually I just click a second time and it works. Doesn't happen very often, although it can be rather annoying.

Well, I think it might also explain those times when I get shot through a rock playing peek-a-boo.  I peek out and shoot - get back behind obstacle - Boom, I'm dead from tank I just shot but now can't see me.  Hehehe, I was dead before I moved back.

We know for certain that the game goes on without us on the server, so shot / damage results can't depend on feedback from client.  It all has to happen on the server.  Otherwise if I am disconnected for some reason you could shoot me all day long and not kill me because my client didn't send results.  This theory seems further supported by the fact that when I shoot someone I instantly see the value of the damage.

Maybe you just need a new mouse 'Scorp'  :D

Yes you are correct, the calculations are made as soon as the button is clicked and prior to it reaching the  target.

This also explains the times where you are in a race to fire the next shot at each other at distance, you see his shot coming and you pull the trigger before it reaches you. Shell hits you and you die, but no damage is done to him, its like your shell was never fired.

They have to do it this way to keep things on the up and up, lag/ping/packet loss not to mention hacks.

• 4 weeks later...

So, would you care to comment on the following scenario:

Experiencing severe lag, say 300 to 500 ping.

Engage a target moving at high speed left to right, and about to get behind cover, I fire at leading edge of target a meter or two before hard cover.  At close range so projectile TOF is under 1/10 sec (so under 2 meters of target movement), but lag could allow 8 meters of target movement due to target's speed, will the server calculate a hit, or will the fire command (and target hit evaluation) be delayed by the 0.3 to 0.5 seconds of lag?  On one hand I am inclined to think it should hit, based on being hit while in full hard cover from the firing tank, on the other hand, I expect it to miss given the high number of times Lag has cost me "a sure hit".  This brings to question what is the order of precidence in the server/client relationship. Does the server accept the clients "version" of aim point, target location, target speed? Or does the Server only accept what the client's aim point at the moment the server recieves the client's signal, which then questions at what does this mean in the case of a moving client's tank?