Weapon range limit ?

The view range in my (Renault FT tier I) is 280 + binocs gives me 330.  This tank cannot hit a target at the extent of the view range. I am using the top gun (Tier II 25mm).

Any targets more than ~300 meters away cannot be hit at all.  I use the red circle gun marker (with penetration indicator).  Normally the marker is red until i am aiming at a spot which mathematically I should be able to pen, then it turns green.

In this tank the marker is BLACK until the tanks are in "range", then it turns red like it's supposed to.  You can watch the rounds disappear into the enemy tank, but nothing registers but a miss.  All of my other tanks can hit a target if I can illuminate it....no matter the distance.

I was not aware of any range restrictions on the guns.  It's no big deal --- not worried about it --- just thought it was interesting because I have never seen it before.  Are there others like this?

I've been thinking about it as well, recently, and I'm pretty certain, that it's simply the loss of penetration.

Low tier guns don't have much of it to begin with and lose most of it very quickly at ranges beyond 100m (see ammo guide here).

It's really good too, so the statpadders in tier 1-3 can't snipe all too much at those distances and the fights stay at relatively close range.

Well, that seems sensible, however, it does not address the fact that the gun marker goes black, and, there is no audible feedback from game engine.  Even if I hit but don't pen, I get an audible (didn't even scratch him, etc...). That is not happening in this case.   All of the observed symptoms indicate that the round simply does not travel the required distance (which is very realistic).

Too bad you don't have that little tank....you could try and see if it happens for you as well.

Yea, I can't say if WG simply has been lazy about it and makes shells disappear in thin air, once they hit their max range or if they just drop to the ground there.

You could probably just test it with arti that has limited range and see what happens to the shells.

I've been playing too much though and don't have friends to test with anyway. =P

A thing to note though: you get a red circle on the minimap, iirc, indicating your max firing range.

I think, that I've noticed it with arti and like T2 Light (very low caliber and therefor little range).

I don't use anything outside of this modpack (apart from crew voices) and I don't think you have to select anything special.

It should be the same like the one for arti but I don't play arti or tier 1-2 tanks too often normally, so..

I only noticed it on the T2 Light recently and it reminded me of when I derped around with arti a while back.

Anyway, I've everything selected in [XVM Minimap], so.. 

• 2 weeks later...

With arty it is the same as shooting beyond the map. The shell evaporates, no hit is shown. The problem with that is it is exactly the same effect you get when the shell hits an invisible target. There is no in-game event to show you hit someone but the game will count it. If you miss you can see the shell impact ground wall etc.