Tip for those who like to make changes to xc or json files etc frequently

Each time I run the installer, I always make changes to various mods etc.  For example, I move the hitlog over towards the center of the screen to keep it from interfering with the large player panel, I change the Battle Assistant activation key from G to F and a few other changes.  I always had to go to each folder and find each file and open them into notepad in order to make the changes.  I make changes to 5 different things and this was time consuming....and I wanted to play! 

I discovered a trick that makes this process much faster and easier using  Notepad++.  This will not work with the standard Windows Notepad, you have to download and install Notepad++...it is free.

1.   In Notepad++, under settings>preferences>backup, check the box for "remember current session for next launch".  This may be the default setting, but make sure that it is checked just in case.

2.  Open all of the files that you wish to make changes to, make the changes and save each file without closing the tab. 

3.  When you are finished with all changes and have saved each file, close Notepad++. 

4.  The next time you download and run the installer,  simply open Notepad++ and all of the files are already opened in tabs. 

5.   Make your changes, save each file without closing and finally close Notepad++.

Edited by bkc1965

Thanks...I never looked inside Aslains_custom_mods folder because I thought there was top secret dangerous information that only Aslain and the NSA had a need to look at.... :D

I guess this method would only be safe to do on each individual game version because of changes made to mods and xvm etc?

Do I need to put all of the mod's files or all xvm files in the zip folder or just the parts that I have changed?  For example in the scripts>client>mods folder I only need to make a change to autoaim_indicator.json.  Can I only put this changed file in my zipped res_mods folder?  If not, what exactly do I have to include?  Thanks for your  help Quaksen.

Just the files you changed :)

The files in the custom folder overwrites whatever is installed prior to that step.

And yes, for the autoaim_indicator.json, the zip file, when you open it, should look like this:

\res_mods\0.9.10\scripts\client\mods\autoaim_indicator.json

Hope that helps :)