Map Strat PSA: North American Spawn - North Base [Not my Guide - Just sharing Barks_Internally's PSA]

Not my Guide - All Credits belong to Barks_Internally.

Right I'm sick of seeing this

Stop sitting on this ridge when they can spot you:

GFTEP4P.jpg

Reasons :  1. Because they can see you now, you dangus.

2. You aren't even remotely in any cover.

3. You can't see things further out in the field.

Which leads us to :

5AIYfTY.jpg

T28 Proto died to a roomba that we can't see and didn't spot in the first place!

Rhoomba died to a leopard that we can't see!

Jagdtiger died to a WTE 100 that we can't see and didn't spot in the first place!

This all happened in very short order!

(That T57 heavy is actually a wz-120, replay just glitched out)

WELL BARKS, WHAT DO YOU DO?

YOU DO THIS

cxSMroD.jpg

Use all that lovely cover WG gives you!

Negate the distance that stops you from spotting the far off enemies!

You can also use the ridge on the 9 line for hull down too!

This gives us a lovely crossfire!

Setting up further back gives us more time for our team to return!

Isn't that so much better than doing what is essentially exactly the same as sitting on top of the prokhorovka middle ridge and expecting it to work?

PS, knock down the buildings ahead of time

Once again, I'm just sharing Barks_Internally's PSA. All Credits belong to him.

I don't really get this.

Obviously, they are in a bad situation there but it's the centurion's(?) fault in the first place, for not spotting anything for his team and trying to snipe 10s head-on with a tier 8 tank instead.

The only thing he's right about though: without a spotter, the top tiers should have pulled back more and used the lazy centurion to spot what's coming up the hill, imo.

I don't really get this.

Obviously, they are in a bad situation there but it's the centurion's(?) fault in the first place, for not spotting anything for his team and trying to snipe 10s head-on with a tier 8 tank instead.

The only thing he's right about though: without a spotter, the top tiers should have pulled back more and used the lazy centurion to spot what's coming up the hill, imo.

To be honest, I agree with him. How would he have been able to spot? He couldn't; he would be spotted before spotting anyone else. He's not a scout tank. Also, keep in mind that he's most likely shooting Premium. He can take a few shots with HEAT at the tanks approaching the base whist they're spotted, and then retreat into cover.

Everyone on top of the hill however will achieve nothing. They have absolutely no room to retreat. That's why I love spawning on the south side if I'm in a scout tank or TD - everyone who camps up there is so easy to spot and kill. 

Even if you do camp up there for a while, once the enemy begins advancing, you need to get your ass out of there. There's no reason to stay up there on the hill, where there are no bushes or cover to hide/protect your hill. You need to relocate, and defend the base from hull-down spots or other forms of cover that are nearby.

I think that they let the situation get bad in the first place.

Obviously, not much of a point to try to spot if the enemy has advanced this much already.

The thing I'm argueing though, is that the Centurion should have been spotting from downhill before the enemy got to where the pix show.

Centurion has almost the same viewrange as the Leo 1 (if Leo 1 isn't using vents and optics instead) with optics and situational awareness at least and only slightly worse camo rating (depending on crew and equipement).

It's all situational anyway and idk how it got to that point in the first place but from what I see, the centurion made a missplay and camped with the snipers, instead of trying to be more useful in aspects the others can't be.

You could argue that the Leo could have tried to spot instead but he has even weaker armor than the tier 8, so that'd just be a waste of the perfectly good sniper.

I think that they let the situation get bad in the first place.

Obviously, not much of a point to try to spot if the enemy has advanced this much already.

The thing I'm argueing though, is that the Centurion should have been spotting from downhill before the enemy got to where the pix show.

Centurion has almost the same viewrange as the Leo 1 (if Leo 1 isn't using vents and optics instead) with optics and situational awareness at least and only slightly worse camo rating (depending on crew and equipement).

It's all situational anyway and idk how it got to that point in the first place but from what I see, the centurion made a missplay and camped with the snipers, instead of trying to be more useful in aspects the others can't be.

You could argue that the Leo could have tried to spot instead but he has even weaker armor than the tier 8, so that'd just be a waste of the perfectly good sniper.

He could not have spotted downhill without dying. I've tried it many times, and it just doesn't work. Anyone in front of the trees will be spotted easily, especially with a good scout on the other team. Anyone camping in the trees will also be spotted and killed pretty easily too, but at least not as soon as anyone in front of those trees.

The main problem is that many people don't defend the 1/2/3 line in the first place. However,the south team really has an advantage more. Not only are there little places to snipe from up top the hill without getting spotted, but it's easy to spot anyone heading to the 1/2/3 lines. There's a very thick patch of bushes near D4/E5 from which you can spot and snipe from whilst remaining un-detected. The north team has a town advantage of course. The map needs a bit of reworking in my opinion. South spawn controls the 1/2/3 lines, north should control the 8/9/0 lines. That needs to be changed so both teams have an equal opportunity at either flank.

Idk how they got into this situation in the first place.

If they camped up there (all of them) the whole game, then they simply had it coming anyway.

Also, idk about which team had what scouts to their disposal, so it's moot to take that into consideration.

From what is displayed in the pix, the Centurion would be the most likely spotter in my book and he could have at least tried.

There is a small bush around A/B-4 too and you can knock down a tree also, iirc, in order to get some more camo.

He coulda gone there or driven to A-1 early too.

How much help he would have gotten: idk!

But I know that if I were a TD or top tier, I certainly wouldn't advance if I had a tier 8 medium that could spot for me.

If I see him camping with the rest of the TDs, then that's exactly what I'd do as well. I'm not spotting for a tier 8 wanna be sniper.

That would be my opinion though. Obviously, there are several solutions to how to play and I just think that they have gotten themselves into a mess by what they did (or didn't do) before the pix were taken.

Once you are in a mess, it's hard to dig yourself out of it anyhow.

Idk how they got into this situation in the first place.

If they camped up there (all of them) the whole game, then they simply had it coming anyway.

Also, idk about which team had what scouts to their disposal, so it's moot to take that into consideration.

From what is displayed in the pix, the Centurion would be the most likely spotter in my book and he could have at least tried.

There is a small bush around A/B-4 too and you can knock down a tree also, iirc, in order to get some more camo.

He coulda gone there or driven to A-1 early too.

How much help he would have gotten: idk!

But I know that if I were a TD or top tier, I certainly wouldn't advance if I had a tier 8 medium that could spot for me.

If I see him camping with the rest of the TDs, then that's exactly what I'd do as well. I'm not spotting for a tier 8 wanna be sniper.

That would be my opinion though. Obviously, there are several solutions to how to play and I just think that they have gotten themselves into a mess by what they did (or didn't do) before the pix were taken.

Once you are in a mess, it's hard to dig yourself out of it anyhow.

In my opinion, no one should ever be camping on that hill. Ever. There's no use for it. There are plenty of places to camp nearby the base which will block the enemy advance without the risk of being shot at by invisi-snipers.

Yea, kinda my point.

But even so, if you have some ppl camping in that position, you can at least try to feed them kills.

Just sitting there and waiting for everyone to get spotted and shot is like the dumbest thing you can do, imo.

If you go down, least do so by trying.

Yea, kinda my point.

But even so, if you have some ppl camping in that position, you can at least try to feed them kills.

Just sitting there and waiting for everyone to get spotted and shot is like the dumbest thing you can do, imo.

If you go down, least do so by trying.

If you go down, you will die. Period. You have no means of retreat. The best you could do is spot on the bridge, but even then you could easily be sniped at.

If you go down, you will die. Period. You have no means of retreat. The best you could do is spot on the bridge, but even then you could easily be sniped at.

Well, you have to stick with the situation at hand though..

Spotting at the bridge would be borderline pointless with snipers like presented in the pix.

They wouldn't have a shot at anything you'd spot from the bridge and you wouldn't spot anything they'd actually have a shot at.

How I see it, if you advanced and spotted at the A/B-line, you would have had 4 snipers in your back - so what's not to like about that?

If you get shot at, that doesn't mean you're automatically dead (granted, you get fire support by those 4 snipers).

Quite the opposite, the ones pushing wouldn't come around as quickly, if they'd see their friends getting raped by t57 and Leo 1.

Well, you have to stick with the situation at hard though..

Spotting at the bridge would be borderline pointless with snipers like presented in the pix.

They wouldn't have a shot at anything you'd spot from the bridge and you wouldn't spot anything they'd actually have a shot at.

How I see it, if you advanced and spotted at the A/B-line, you would have had 4 snipers in your back - so what's not to like about that?

If you get shot at, that doesn't mean you're automatically dead (granted, you get fire support by those 4 snipers).

Quite the opposite, the ones pushing wouldn't come around as quickly, if they'd see their friends getting raped by t57 and Leo 1.

Most likely, you'll be shot down. Besides... we're talking about pub matches here... half of your snipers will have trouble deciphering the left mouse button from the right mouse button.

I do agree but you should still try to play the game as if you had competent teammates, imo.

If you go into every game with the mentality that everyone on your team will be useless, then what's the point in playing to begin with?

Personally, I like the idea to try to play together (which still happens at times), otherwise I'd play a game where I'm alone and only have to rely on myself.

Moreover, I'm not the best player that could carry every game, so I feel like I have to rely on at least some of the ppl on my team.

Idk, I don't like that type of play where you always sit back, use 14 other ppl as spotters and then complain about how stupid they all are.

Because then you don't do anything yourself either, apart from sitting safe in the back and pushing your left mouse button every once in a while.

I enjoy spotting, brawling, shifting and sniping but not only sitting in bushes and brag about how I did so much dmg while sacrificing the rest of my team.

I do agree but you should still try to play the game as if you had competent teammates, imo.

If you go into every game with the mentality that everyone on your team will be useless, then what's the point in playing to begin with?

Personally, I like the idea to try to play together (which still happens at times), otherwise I'd play a game where I'm alone and only have to rely on myself.

Moreover, I'm not the best player that could carry every game, so I feel like I have to rely on at least some of the ppl on my team.

Idk, I don't like that type of play where you always sit back, use 14 other ppl as spotters and then complain about how stupid they all are.

Because then you don't do anything yourself either, apart from sitting safe in the back and pushing your left mouse button every once in a while.

I enjoy spotting, brawling, shifting and sniping but not only sitting in bushes and brag about how I did so much dmg while sacrificing the rest of my team.

How about... no. You will never find a competent team. I've learned the hard way to be my own man in battle. If I have a teammate that needs assistance, and is willing to work together and won't just rush out in die, then I will definitely stick with him and play as a team. However, how often does this happen? It doesn't. I've had battles where I light up the entire enemy team for the majority of the battle, and my team still can't shoot them down. That's why I've adapted my scouting style so that I can spot and snipe at the same time... even if that means going out of the ally's draw ranges.

I always try to assist my team, but they never assist me. Thus when I play, I do so on my own. If an ally needs help, I'll assist. But I'm certainly not going to expect any help from them; even if it's just shooting at tanks I spot. I know that half of the player-base is too incompetent to even do that.

I guess we all understand that.

Like Jingles always said though:

"if your team is being stupid, be stupid with them and try to make bad plans work"

and

"it's not stupid, if it works"

That's how I try to play mostly and not because Jingles said it but because I get where he's coming from.

As I stated, I don't like using my team to spot for me and while I don't always agree with their tactics, I still try to make them work.

If I don't do anything and just complain, I'm of no help at all, just like them.

E: Since I'm not perfect, I do stupid things too and I'm always very happy if I still get help while being silly.

I have to admit though, playing like a coward and hide in the way back, "it's very effective" (pokemon ref. ftw =P ) to boost your own stats.

But if you do that all the frigging time, like complained about in the other guide - as a heavy tank - you're a very bad player, imho.

Everyone has his/her own playstyle, set of priorities and things that make them feel good; that's just my own take on it.

I also understand that a lot of ppl are perfectly happy with being cowards and dumb statpadders - not me.

I make my own tactics. I never follow along with my team, because whenever I do, it ends very badly for myself, and the rest of the team. Most of the victories I have come from me carrying on my own.

I don't even Platoon, because every Platoon mate has his or her own idea of what a good tactic is. And following them will be doing something I'm un-familiar with, and if they mess up, I'm screwed. Platooning is nothing different that your typical pub match in my opinion. I go off on my own, I spot my own targets, I flank the targets I need to flank. Allies have no idea what they're doing. so I only go to them if that option is better than whatever I was doing at the time, which it rarely is.

I'm honestly sad to read this.

Can't be much fun if you don't like to play together with others, not even platoonmates.

I'm aware that there are a lot of bad players but, statistically, there are still around 45% decent players online at all times.

So it's almost impossible that it is always you who is responsible for winning. Even bad players often do an important part; even if they aren't aware of it.

Regarding platooning I think that it can never hurt, unless you play together with ppl WAY worse than you; in which case you always add a handicap to your teams, that's correct.

In all other cases though, decent platoonmates - at the very least - increase the # of decent players on YOUR team and sometimes even work very well together.

Maybe you were just very unlucky with your mates.

Therefore, going together isn't required and if you use some sort of communication, you increase the effectiveness of your team as well.

Again, just my 2 cents and some of my own experiences.

Still have to find what works for you and if your style makes you happy and enjoy the game, then have at it.

• Administrator

I make my own tactics. I never follow along with my team, because whenever I do, it ends very badly for myself, and the rest of the team. Most of the victories I have come from me carrying on my own.

I don't even Platoon, because every Platoon mate has his or her own idea of what a good tactic is. And following them will be doing something I'm un-familiar with, and if they mess up, I'm screwed. Platooning is nothing different that your typical pub match in my opinion. I go off on my own, I spot my own targets, I flank the targets I need to flank. Allies have no idea what they're doing. so I only go to them if that option is better than whatever I was doing at the time, which it rarely is.

I see you are like myself. I do always perform better if they leave me alone, and let do my own decisions, the same with platoon, but I enjoy it with friends, and in our platoons nobody tries to lead, we all play as we want.

I'm honestly sad to read this.

Can't be much fun if you don't like to play together with others, not even platoonmates.

I'm aware that there are a lot of bad players but, statistically, there are still around 45% decent players online at all times.

So it's almost impossible that it is always you who is responsible for winning. Even bad players often do an important part; even if they aren't aware of it.

Regarding platooning I think that it can never hurt, unless you play together with ppl WAY worse than you; in which case you always add a handicap to your teams, that's correct.

In all other cases though, decent platoonmates - at the very least - increase the # of decent players on YOUR team and sometimes even work very well together.

Maybe you were just very unlucky with your mates.

Therefore, going together isn't required and if you use some sort of communication, you increase the effectiveness of your team as well.

Again, just my 2 cents and some of my own experiences.

Still have to find what works for you and if your style makes you happy and enjoy the game, then have at it.

I prefer to Platoon with people worse than me. I get to teach the a few things, and they're the ones who usually will stick with me, thus surviving longer and being more battle effective. It's useful for them. Good players don't need to learn many things, do they?

Regardless, I rarely Platoon. I absolutely hate it. I would much rather play pub matches solo. Besides... if I'm playing solo, I have no one to assist me (because teams are useless most of the time), thus I have to learn to adapt on my own, learn more about the maps, tactics, etc.... and I get used to carrying battles. If I lose, or take unnecessary damage, I analyze my mistakes and try to determine what my mistake was, what lost us the battle. The next time I go to battle in a similar situation, I've learned and will be able to carry harder and further.

I'm always advocating Platooning with others because it is a good thing to do, and it is a worthwhile experience. However, when I'm playing I still tend to go solo. I get the most enjoyment from it; and I learn the most from it.

I see you are like myself. I do always perform better if they leave me alone, and let do my own decisions, the same with platoon, but I enjoy it with friends, and in our platoons nobody tries to lead, we all play as we want.

My main problem with Platoon is that either:

• We will stick together as a group, but at least one of us will be unfamiliar with the tactics that I'm using, or that someone else is using.
  • If each of us does his/her own thing, what's the point of Platooning? There's no teamwork or cooperation going on; it's back to doing your own thing. Just like a regular pub match. Except now, if you do poorly in battle, your friends will see it. Sometimes it's too much stress, other times it's just like your typical pub match.
  • Administrator

I.... don't understand? Could you please elaborate?

Not much to elaborate, I just came to an idea :) To create a forum to share replays, where you could discuss your tactics if you'd like.

Not much to elaborate, I just came to an idea :) To create a forum to share replays, where you could discuss your tactics if you'd like.

I suppose that would be nice? Discussing tactics would probably still fit under "Guides and Tutorials", because that would be meant to educate the player base. A separate part of the Forums to just share replays that are worthwhile would be interesting however.

I suppose, it comes down to different experiences and/or perceptions of things.

For me the thing about platooning with worse players went exactly the oposite way.

I too did teach them things but they wouldn't take in what I said, depsite being far better than them (and I'm not particularly awesome).

Ppl have to be willing to take advise in the first place and ppl with natural talent for the game are even better.

I platooned with one of the latter when he had like 200 games and just started out. He was really good and learned very quickly, not only by me but also by playing together and doing research on his own.

The point was though, he was willing to learn and naturally good at the game already, which I can't say for a lot of ppl - including myself, as I struggled a lot like my first 3k games.

And I repeat it once more, since you said platooning with ppl is pointless, if everyone is doing their own thing:

It is not pointless, as you add another decent to very good player to your own team!

Otherwise his spot would be taken by another tomato.

It's like forcefully increasing your team's chances.

You may not see much of a point in it but even when everyone does his/her own thing, it can still be better than taking the chance of having another newbie, or noob even, on your team.

At least by chance.

Sorry for rambling so much about it. It, clearly, comes down to different points of view but a forum should be there to exchange those, right!?

I'm not claiming to have "the right way" either; hell, I barely have 6.4k games under my belt, so what do I know anyway.

I suppose, it comes down to different experiences and/or perceptions of things.

For me the thing about platooning with worse players went exactly the oposite way.

I too did teach them things but they wouldn't take in what I said, depsite being far better than them (and I'm not particularly awesome).

Ppl have to be willing to take advise in the first place and ppl with natural talent for the game are even better.

I platooned with one of the latter when he had like 200 games and just started out. He was really good and learned very quickly, not only by me but also by playing together and doing research on his own.

The point was though, he was willing to learn and naturally good at the game already, which I can't say for a lot of ppl - including myself, as I struggled a lot like my first 3k games.

And I repeat it once more, since you said platooning with ppl is pointless, if everyone is doing their own thing:

It is not pointless, as you add another decent to very good player to your own team!

Otherwise his spot would be taken by another tomato.

It's like forcefully increasing your team's chances.

You may not see much of a point in it but even when everyone does his/her own thing, it can still be better than taking the chance of having another newbie, or noob even, on your team.

At least by chance.

Sorry for rambling so much about it. It, clearly, comes down to different points of view but a forum should be there to exchange those, right!?

I'm not claiming to have "the right way" either; hell, I barely have 6.4k games under my belt, so what do I know anyway.

Another decent player to my team. Hurray (lots of sarcasm)! Someone else who will make it harder to legitimately carry and easier to win, because the battle will end sooner, and without as many allied losses. Just what I need (not).

I learn by carrying, and I learn by making mistakes and pushing my tanks to their limits. The worse players I have on my team, the more I learn. The harder the battle is for me, the more fun and challenging the experience is. I would prefer to have an absolutely crappy team to an absolutely amazing team. The worse the team is, the more I can learn and the harder I can carry.

One more decent player doesn't mean that you can't do jack anymore though.

For all you know, it will be the player who just sits in one spot and simply prevents the enemy from taking 1 flank, without doing overly ridiculous dmg or anything; just scaring them off a little and giving you time to eventually pick them off.

But yea, we won't get anywhere with this.

One more decent player doesn't mean that you can't do jack anymore though.

For all you know, it will be the player who just sits in one spot and simply prevents the enemy from taking 1 flank, without doing overly ridiculous dmg or anything; just scaring them off a little and giving you time to eventually pick them off.

But yea, we won't get anywhere with this.

I shall stand my ground!  :ph34r:

Each to his own I suppose.  :P

I shall unleash Mugetsu on your a$$, if you try!

Honestly though, different experiences and different views.

Glad we got to discuss them civilized though; good bunch here.

Forget about civilized! I've got me a tank! Your argument is invalid. Because I have a tank!

:P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.