Modpack freezes windows explorer

So I know that the patch for WoT more or less just came out so I won't touch mods for a little bit until they get updated. Typically I delete the old modpack since it's outdated and there would be no point of keeping it aside from filling hard drive space. For as long as I can remember using aslain's modpack, I've never had an issue with this. However, currently I am unable to do anything whatsoever with the file. Left clicking it once will highlight the file as usual. However, opening the file, right clicking, or attempting to drag the file causes my windows explorer to freeze and stop responding entirely. The first time this happened I could still see my mouse and any applications that were already running. Those will work like normal except that I can't interact at all with my taskbar or open any other applications because it blacked out my taskbar and desktop. Attemping to interact with the file (same actions as before) after restarting my pc just causes windows explorer to lock up like last time, but it doesn't black out like the last time. Instead, it just closes the window and refreshes the task bar. I can interact with any other file, but not the modpack in particular. 

Now, I managed to delete the modpack by moving all other files to another location and then selecting the folder the modpack was in and deleting the folder. Of course this took a few minutes for windows to scan the folder for stuff to delete, but eventually it got around to getting rid of the folder where the modpack was. Does anyone else have this issue? 

No....Aslain had an uninstall file in the file location and that's all I clicked on to delete the file....since the deletion, I've had no issues. Hope everything gets better, but I would suggest when new patches come out in the future, to go ahead and click on the uninstall button on Aslain's icon in the file location before even logging into game.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, thundercrack said:

I have the same issue with the modpack exe.

edit: It seems to be working but it takes many minutes between clicks now whereas it used to be instant.

I am not sure I understand your problem, do you mean the installer works very sluggish, when you scroll the mod list and select components?

1 hour ago, Aslain said:

I am not sure I understand your problem, do you mean the installer works very sluggish, when you scroll the mod list and select components?

It looks like the installer has an issue. You download the file and when it reaches 100% it takes quite a while before the file is actually available. Then when you run the executable it takes a good few minutes before you get the security warning "cannot verify publisher". Haven't manage to go past that point and i've downloaded it from all the sources just in case. Tried on different computers as well. Each step (before the mod selecting screen)on all your previous versions were instant. Now it takes several minutes for some reason. Perhaps you could recompile and re-upload? 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, dinko4gr said:

It looks like the installer has an issue. You download the file and when it reaches 100% it takes quite a while before the file is actually available. Then when you run the executable it takes a good few minutes before you get the security warning "cannot verify publisher". Haven't manage to go past that point and i've downloaded it from all the sources just in case. Tried on different computers as well. Each step (before the mod selecting screen)on all your previous versions were instant. Now it takes several minutes for some reason. Perhaps you could recompile and re-upload? 

I cannot reproduce this, so I belive it's local. I got no such issues, better check antivir etc.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Aslain said:

I cannot reproduce this, so I belive it's local. I got no such issues, better check antivir etc.

You were right. For some reason Windows Defender went nuts and spiked CPU usage to 99% across all cores. Once turned off everything works like a charm. Cheers for that :)

Hi

I have this problem too. I think this is problem with Win 10. Old version 9.15.05 installer (which I find in my backup) has problem too and on old PC with Win 7 works normally. Start is slow, I need restart PC for se installer screen. Next - next -next part after start work normall, but Im not able select any mod. I think with waiting for minutes selection will be possible. But this is not ussefull. 

I will wait for this 10MB configured version :-)

• Upvote 1

I'm getting the exact same issue but without the antivirus software. To re-summarize the problems occurring:

- causes extremely slow indexing speed on file explorer

- causes crashing and "Not Responding" messages to occur on file explorer

- you must wait for the file explorer to finish indexing the download folder to click on the modpack for it to have any chance of opening

- opens very, very slowly (5-7 minutes)

- often doesn't open at all

- the file is neigh impossible to delete

- even when the file explorer has finished indexing its no guarantee that the modpack will open (more often than not it just causes the file explorer to crash and reset my desktop)

Thank you for creating such a wonderful and useful program. I can't wait to start using it again!

Freezing first time for me too. With Windows 10 64bit. And it's definitely the Windows Defender what causes this. Workaround is to exclude the Aslain's installer .exe from the Defender settings. Or do what I did. I made new folder for Aslain's installer downloads and excluded that folder.

Edited by Kenttarovasti

Freezing for me too. I did manage to get it to run, but all options are greyed out. It also asked me to select the install path again so it's not recognizing the previous install of the modpack.

Ok so if I disable Windows Defender it runs ok but the PC fans come on pretty quick. Never had this before. I'll hold off until more mods have been enabled.

Hello, I have problems so that to WOT can not play under 8.1 is wot does not start with Aslain Mod pack without going WOT, also have 70% of applications not Be Enabled by Aslian Mod Pack

Edited by Reisswolf

Hallo Reisswolf,

die Google Übersetzung ist leider nicht zu verstehen, da nur Kauderwelsch. Wenn ich es richtig deute, läuft der Installer des Modpacks bei Dir, WOT selber startet dann aber nicht. Siehst Du noch kurz den Ladebildschirm mit dem Ladebalken und beim Umschalten zum Log-In Bildschirm wird der Bildschirm schwarz und bleibt dann schwarz? Falls ja, hat es bei mir geholfen, am Ende des Installer keinerlei Optionen zum Ladebildschirm auszuwählen. Bei mir waren es die historischen Ladebilder, die es verhindert haben, dass der eigentliche Log-In Bildschirm erschien.

Vielleicht musst Du auch noch in Deiner Firewall bzw. Deinem Antivirenprogramm WOT die Rechte einräumen, Verbindungen ins Internet aufzunehmen. Damit hatten einige hier auch Probleme.

When I downloaded the mod pack I do this.

• Right click the file and go to properties - click the 'unblock' box and hit apply

• Right click mod pack and 'run as administrator'

It may or may not help you, but worth a shot as disabling protection is the worst thing you could do tbh.

On 7/28/2016 at 0:35 AM, Aslain said:

I get the exact same problem too! It's been doing it ever since the 9.15.1 update. Never had this problem before and have been using your installer for a long time.

Edited by ryuuto