Unable to open mod installer somehow.

Hello people. 

First I want to thank Alain for his great mod work. Been using it for a long time already, until the last update.

the last 3 major updates of wows gave some problems with this mod pack for me. It was always the same problem. I wouldn't start the installation. 

I have been able to find a solution for it. I just had to empty the previous mod folder in wows and the installer started.

But since 6.1 it just won't work. I have also disabled my anti virus and uninstalled the mod through "Apps & Features" but every time I try to star the installation, the only thing that happens is that explorer.exe gets stuck and I need to reboot it manually through task manager. 

My question is, could this be related with insider build of Windows? My pc is running the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14986. 

Could someone help me please? 

Thanks in advance :D

Just now, Quaksen said:

You said you disabled anti-virus, but that might mean Windows Defender took over instead, and could be causing it - it's been known to cause havoc before :)

Actually, I am using Windows Defender :P

And I'm aware of it (and others) being a problem for this mod pack. That's why I disable it. But this time without luck. 

3 hours ago, Aslain said:

Better check antivir software, or stuff like Windows Defender etc. Whatever it is, it lays on this particular pc and W10 has retarted "protections".

You should see Android. Can't even use an equalizer anymore on all apps that are not playing music from your phones memory. Like Soundcloud. Just because Google thinks it can be used for bad stuff. 

I think they look at the wrong thing :huh:

But back to my case, I know it's on my particular computer, but I need to know what is causing it before I can fix it.  ;)

Hmmm interesting. I happen to know of instances of Windows Smartscreen being the issue. However you stated there is no antivirus of any kind running once you try to install. Have you tried installing the software using safe-mode with networking options? (I have no clue if this will work but if it does it is almost certainly a piece of software blocking the install)

1 minute ago, MGIMATTY said:

Hmmm interesting. I happen to know of instances of Windows Smartscreen being the issue. However you stated there is no antivirus of any kind running once you try to install. Have you tried installing the software using safe-mode with networking options? (I have no clue if this will work but if it does it is almost certainly a piece of software blocking the install)

I will try it in safe mode in a hour. And it is a piece of software, what else could it be :P

Very strange, once booted into safe mode, my pc didn't activate my keyboard and mouse XD

I was very lucky that I had a spare mouse and together with on screen keyboard i managed to install the mods and get out of safe mode :P

Windows insider is gonna go, no more insider builds for me XD

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dountoun said:

Ah, thanks for the tip :D

Any idea why smart screen doesn't like this mod pack?

Many antivirs and protection software is basing on assumptions[1] and heuristics[2], some are based on users reports[3]

a) in example file is hosted on unknown website, so it's automaticaly marked as unsafe (stupid isn't it?)

b) no digital signature found so it's marking file unsafe  (yet another retarded reason)

2. it scans for known code parts and mark the file as virus/trojan if it finds its small (partial) code in antivir database when scanning the .exe. Sometimes few bits is enough to create a false-positive.

3 .there are always "special" users that mark a file because they have a bad day or like to troll, or for whatever reasons they had, and it ends up like that.

If it comes to the smart screen i's usually case number 1.

• 1 year later...

I have ALWAYS had problems with OPENING the mod pack installer. When I click on OPEN it just disappears off the bottom of my screen. I keep trying and dozens of times on different days and then one day, it finally works. It NEVER works on or after a new update. I have turned off firewalls, smartscreen, antivirus....my computer is a hackers and virus paradise. Still nothing works. I need a developer to get on Team Viewer with me to fix this problem.