Unexplained Framerate Drop.

So ever since the latest patch with the new physics and stuff added, when I first start up the game it will run fine until suddenly and for no apparent reason the framerate will tank down to 20 FPS and under either when I just start the game or it could be after a battle or two (Or just as I start a battle which is extremely inconvenient), it'll never get above 20 and it's like playing a slideshow (I usually have 120 FPS when playing). Nothing seems to fix this bar restarting my computer; closing out the game and restarting it doesn't fix the problem and neither does reinstalling mods. I was just wondering if this is mod related and  if anyone else has experienced this issue or whether it's the game itself? Some days this also might not even happen but it does more often than it doesn't.

I should also add that after restarting my computer and starting up the game once more, I never get the issue reoccurring for that session.

Thanks.

Edited by Dennyb

It's not that easy to tell where the problem is but I would guess that it's not coming from WoT.

One way to find out, if it might be related to mods, is to play the game vanilla for a bit (if you're scared to under-perform, play low tiers).

If the issue were constant, I would make a shot in the dark and say that your RAM may be faulty (can try to only use individual sticks and on different RAM banks, for testing).

But it could be a number of things, really.

Maybe your HDD/SSD is faulty/has bad sectors. Could try moving the game to a different partition/drive (no need to uninstall, just move the WoT folder).

You could try to monitor your CPU/GPU/RAM usage and see if either of those get maxed out while playing.

Another thing could be the PSU, not being able to keep up with what your system needs (aka. too small or faulty).

If you can exchange RAM, GPU or PSU for testings, that would be helpful in determining whether or not those components are faulty.

Other than that, could also just be some random-ass software running in the background and eating up all of your resources (RAM/CPU heavy) or some driver conflict.

I don't believe it's to do with my hardware, everything else I play runs perfectly fine and my system isn't under strain. Perhaps it's some software colliding. I'll try out some things and see what happens. Thanks.

Edited by Dennyb

Well, drops in framerate are certainly normal and relatively irrelevant (30s to ~100 can and will happen).

What matters is, that you get playable fps on average.

It's not normal though, is that the fps are suddenly stuck at 20 and below, if you're supposedly usually getting 120.

In any case, as said already, simply running the game vanilla should give a good indication whether it's related to a mod (or mods) or if some other software/drivers or hardware are at fault.

Remote diagnosis is a guessing game anyway, due to the lack of information about the system.

So if it does that without mods, it really seems that it's something to do with either your hardware or software/drivers.

Software would be unlikely, imo, if you're resources (CPU/GPU/RAM) aren't maxed out.

Maybe check if you didn't update graphics drivers in a while of even if you actually did update and they started bugging.

Also, checking your temps would be a good idea (CPU/GPU/Mobo), since most things throttle down at certain temperatures (especially if you OC'd in any way).

Speccy is a nice tool overall, to check all kinds of things on your system, including temps and voltages.