Modpack & Gnomefathers HR sounds

Hey guys,

I had a noobie question with regards to the Modpack.

The pack starts as a 60mb download, and with the 15 extra choices I make, it does a 200mb or so download.

That's including both the Engine and Gun HR sounds by Gnomefather.

Those two sound mods by themselves are like 400mb when I download them separately, and when I do a manual instill with them they leave a bunch of "vehicle xxx" "weapon xxx" FSB audio files within the World_of_Tanks/res/audio folder. These are the same audio files your meant to delete if you ever want to reinstall either sound mod.

But when I install them via the Modpack, they don't seem to place the same files or use the same file size.

I'm really just curious. What exactly is going on when I install the extra sounds via Aslains XVM?

Thanks for your help! Jim.

Hi FeralJim,

I'll try and help you understand things a little easier (as a whole and not just with WoT).

When dealing with software such as games, apps, etc you have two types of folders that get used (among the others) they are /assets and /res (which is short for "resource" and where authorized resource files go. They can be .avi, .xml, .ogg, .mp3 etc).

The way WoT and other games work to keep things clean, is, you create a separate folder for mods (when used) with a resource sub folder in their so you don't over-write the main game/files. If the game sees those files there it will read/use those instead of the main game files.

When a mod pack such as Aslains comes along, they make it easier and help keep things clean and organized within those sub folders and do not over-write the main files of the game.

In order for Aslain to use mods in his installer he has to re-package them and place them on his server to be used when called upon by his installer. He likes to use 7zip which has a higher compression ratio (and better in my opinion). The server is *nix based (Unix/Linux) which has a different file system (files table) than Windows so the file sizes will appear different because of how they are read even though the file is the same. (You have have heard the terms NTFS, FAT32, etc, those are File Allocation Tables and read/write files differently than each other).

I hope that helps a bit.

-CS

• Administrator
Those two sound mods by themselves are like 400mb when I download them separately, and when I do a manual instill with them they leave a bunch of "vehicle xxx" "weapon xxx" FSB audio files within the World_of_Tanks/res/audio folder. These are the same audio files your meant to delete if you ever want to reinstall either sound mod.

Wow 400MB both? Where do you download it from?

You know you have corrupted your res/audio that manual installing way, since now every time you use the installer it will copy your modified sound files to res_mods and adds the other mods you selected = havoc....

Never install directly to res/audio/ unless you know what you are doing.

Hope you have a backup of res/audio/

• Upvote 1

Hey guys,

Wow! Thanks for replying so fast. That was really nice of both of you.

@Aslain I downloaded the mods from Curse, but I installed them manually - not through the Curse client. They may have even added up to 500mb.

Hah! I just did a completely new install of the whole game, because I felt like I had done something wrong with those sound mods.

------> I noticed that the sounds I get from installing Gnome via your XVM Modpack seem to be different from when I did it manually? The engines were louder through the manual install (way too loud) and I didn't have this awesome shell bounce / chamber reloading sound I get after firing that I now get having used your Modpack. It's pretty awesome.

Shouldn't the sounds actually be the same whether I do it manually or through the Modpack though Aslain?

@Newbie Ah! So basically Aslain is using sweet compression on all those Mod files and I have been getting them directly from his server when I use the Modpack. That's super cool. I was shocked how quick the DL was, the Modpack is fantastic. I've gone through pages and pages of Mods on Curse and there isn't a single one I wanted that wasn't included in the pack. Too good!

Thanks for explaining about the Resource files Newbie, I was worried about the game overwriting core files (the way say Skyrim does when modding) and I'm glad to know WoT is safer than that.

Edit: Aslain, if I've installed via the Modpack and I'm wanting to change one Mod, say to switch from 30x zoom to 16x, when I run the installer does it do all the Mods all over again once I make that change? Or is it able to recognise the other Mods are already installed and so it just swaps out the new zoom files?

@FeralJim: I have never experienced any differences between installing them from Curse.com or Aslain's mod pack. If you are finding differences in the sound, that has something to do with the fact that you're installing into res/audio, rather than res_mods/0.9.2/audio. The other possibility is that Gnomefather recently released a hotfix for his mods that are included in curse but not the mod pack, or the other way around. Depends on who applies the hotfix first.

When manually installing sound mods, you should copy and paste your res/audio folder into res_mods/0.9.2/ in order to get the res_mods/0.9.2/audio folder. From there, any sound mods that you install should be placed into res_mods. Never add any mods into res/audio unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Also, CyberSpy is correct. Aslain's installer downloads compressed mods, and then extracts the contents into your Game Client. The full 400 MB is still being placed into your Game Folder, but Aslain's mod pack only has to download 150 MB or so during the downloading phase in order to lower the strain on your WiFi, as well as speed up downloading. After the .zip files are downloaded, Aslain's installer automatically extracts them into your Game Client, which is where they will take on their full size.

Awesome. Sounds like everything is running as it should then.

I hadn't realized I should be installing into res_mods with my audio mods, too.

Luckily with my fresh install I've only used Aslain's Modpack installer so it's been smooth sailing this time.

The compression for the mods must be great to keep it so small.

Thanks for everyones hard work, the Modpack is amazing.