Issues

I think what you're describing is how when you're near an object in sniper mode and zoom back out then try to go back into sniper mode the gun becomes elevated from the previous position and so is aiming much higher.

I don't know why it is but it's always been this way for me when I'm using zoom mods. I just work around it and I'm ready for the gun to be aiming way high; sometimes I zoom in to where he should be and then pull out. Sometimes I go into sniper mode and then use the scroll wheel to bring the zoom way out, pull out and then roll the wheel to get it to zoom back in. Sometimes I use the aim helping mod and lock onto the tank, then it doesn't matter because it will stay aimed at him unless he gets unspotted then I have no idea where he went. I'll use that aim helper and pull out, go into sniper mode, unlock the target and then try to aim for a shot.

or you could disable the zoom mods. If there is a 'fix' to this I don't know what it would be other than to try to work around it.