Modpack torrent file possible?

Hello,

Is it possible to publish the modpack installer through torrent?

Often times a friend of mine and me have problems downloading, the connection times out quite often and the download is slow.

Of course that would mean extra work for you Aslain and I would totally understand it if you would not want to do that, but that is the cheapest way I could think of to have an alternative download method.

Thx

• Administrator

Because it was taking extra time for me to prepare and maintain it, I was using it only in special cases (the update day), I also checked the usage of that torrent, and barely anyone was using that link anyway.

I used it regularly, but at the time I found the normal download server both slow and unreliable (would often get incomplete downloads). But since then the download server is nice and fast (100Mbps) so I'm personally no longer unhappy at the lack of torrent option, but I sympathize with those that those who have unreliable connections for downloading since I have been in that situation previously.

It's possible to automatically generate torrent files quite easily and quickly (e.g. using mktorrent) but I can understand that manually creating a torrent file for each release when there are frequent updates is a pain. If you want to get clever with some scripting it could in theory even be done on demand on the server when someone attempts to access the not-yet-created .torrent file, but if you didn't want to get into that for something few people would use I understand.

Spoiler

mktorrent --announce=udp://opentrackr.org:1337/announce --web-seed=https://modp.wgcdn.co/media/mod_files/Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.9.0.1_03.exe Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.9.0.1_03.exe

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Aslain!

For me the magnet link doesn't properly convey the webseed links, but that's likely on me for using uTorrent v2

Webseeds do work from a .torrent file, but I understand that's more trouble than generating a magnet link.

The addition (or, restoration) is most welcome.

• Administrator

Actually I think I prefer the old style torrent file instead of magnet, forum script is the problem here, I cannot just post the magnet link by copy and paste to post editor, because whatever I try to link gets "http" or "https" in front automatically. This time I had to trick the script and use tinyurl which is redirecting automaticaly to the magnet.