Bigger installer size vs. smaller but slower

Bigger fast installer vs. smaller and slow  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess this is just about how good installer is compressed, correct ?

Maybe find someone with older pc to test it vs someone with brand new ultra mega one xD

Any decrease in size of installer would increase your speed of releasing new installers and ofc, lesser stress on your server which could possibly lead to better speeds.

Also, like i've said in past, maybe losslessly compress all png's.

• Administrator

Best compression = much slower decompression but if I change compression method to not be solid, it will unpack preview pics in the beginning definitely faster in price of slightly bigger size.

"Also, like i've said in past, maybe losslessly compress all png's."

I did it in past after you suggested it, but it only increased compilation time, where the size was the same, and unpacking speed wasn't noticable changed.

It also takes 4 x more time to compile the installer, but that's minor problem :)

I did it in past after you suggested it, but it only increased compilation time, where the size was the same, and unpacking speed wasn't noticable changed.

That shouldn't be the case. Last time I've tried (somewhere around the time you've added default top150 clan icons), icon size was reduced for ~4MB or so. That means all of the png files in total.

Later today or so, i'll do few tests here and report back.

Aslains_XVM_Mod_Installer_v.4.2.43_96_SOLID_ON.exe https://mega.co.nz/#!oo0SABZB!jhirUOretkyV8N_69h93kWRalkwpCwCCtrmInJk1hqc (52MB)

Aslains_XVM_Mod_Installer_v.4.2.43_96_SOLID_OFF.exe https://mega.co.nz/#!lh0lGZ5B!t-SCF0R7SBi3QUGM7SeGHhCnti5B2eEb3K2Q7IiamHo (70MB)

With solid ON takes 58 seconds to prepare setup for me, while with solid OFF takes 22 seconds.

Complete setup with solid ON takes 3m27s while with solid OFF takes 2m49s which is somewhat silly.

AslainsColoredTechTreeIcons_962.7z

Original Size    Lossless Compressed Size         Savings                % Savings

TOTAL  2.76 MB          2.53 MB                                       236.94 KB                 8.37 %

GoldPremiumTanks_by_Aslain_961.7z

Original Size    Lossless Compressed Size         Savings                % Savings

TOTAL 12.71 MB         10.74 MB                                     1.96 MB                15.45 %

IMHO that's something you should check out, sure it's not big savings and after all we're in 2015 but 1000 users x 2 MB saved = 2GB saved

means you could possibly bump 256 kb/s dl cap xD

so less ppl bitching = more satisfied customers.

If i can help you out with something, please let me know.

• Upvote 1
  • Administrator

The problem is not with downloading installer but with slow DLC that is on different server.

Thank you for tests!

Solid off mainly helps with decompression speed. I can go further and switch to zip in installer but it will grow to around 120MB.

• Administrator

On some mods savings are marginal if you compare the time needed for packing/unpacking, while the other mods are packed very well, depends on file types. I would have to mix 7z for text mods/scripts/configs and zip for something that is already compressed internaly - takes my time to sort it all, and also complicates the code a bit.

AslainsColoredTechTreeIcons_962.7z and GoldPremiumTanks_by_Aslain_961.7z are graphical files mostly (png, compressed losslessly) so packing it again to 7z will have low effect.

Thanks for helping :)