There has to be a better way

Ive been on this site every day this week. Constant modpack updates, not even because there is a new game version.

It is tiring and annoying. On top of that the advanced minimap stopped working out of the blue and now I have to figure out how to set it up again, proably do the right checkboxes for each and every ship....

And every install run is full of pop ups, reminders that youre doing this for donations, then a back button that is highlighed then a next button.... Not to mention Windows keeps telling me youre a dodgy developer.  Cant u get certified? As a mac user this is the full win 98 SE experience.

If you want donations, make it autoupdate like the modstation. Make it popup free, and WARN me ONLY when mods I have selected stopped working.

I might have to hire a personal assistant with the level of overhead this software causes me.

Thanks for listening to feedback.

• Downvote 2
  • Administrator

You must be really new to this, otherwise you would not complain, I update when there is need for update, you download new exe when you want to, you can ignore updates and play on incomplete or bugged modpack and bugs, its up on you. The donation popup is very rare, and only for a few days every month btw. If you hate it so much go and use other modpacks.

• Like 1

I dont hate it. Im giving you feedback (in case u want more donations). Donation popup is EVERY update. You sound like arrogant developer. Im just asking for an autoupdater, like all softtware in 2022. Better listen to your users rather than insult them if you want their money.

• Downvote 1
  • Administrator

You say that you are only giving me feedback, but it sounds like lecturing me what to do, not just advice, and it sounds arrogant, so don't expect to get a nice response if you formulate your statements so unpleasantly.

• Administrator

And now you are being sarcastic 😉

Answering your question: I have no clue how to make such thing, it would also require to make a totally new installer, most likely a custom one like WG did, but hey, they have like an army of devs who could help with that, and I'm just one person. So...

• Upvote 2

As someone who has been using the modpack for YEARS. I'm fine with it. Yes there could be improvements but that is restricted to your knowledge of the coding etc. You take your time out of everyday to put this together and thank you for that. Having ONE popup when you launch the launcher asking for donations for your time is not a big issue.. Takes 2 seconds to click okay. If I had the money to spare. I would send some.

So thank you for the work you do. And thank you to the other mod makers for their time updating the mods they dont have to do for us.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Aslain said:

And now you are being sarcastic 😉

Answering your question: I have no clue how to make such thing, it would also require to make a totally new installer, most likely a custom one like WG did, but hey, they have like an army of devs who could help with that, and I'm just one person. So...

If you are willing to find someone paid to make this for you, would you do it? You dont have to code everything. Im in software, I dont make all the components anymore. I subcontract the difficult or one-off types of code (such as adding an auto updater) to an external dev. Just make sure they document their code well.

This could be a feature you announce and make a fundraiser in this community and they would easily cough up the required money, considering how much the wallet warriors spend on pixel boats.

I sincerely hope you consider it

• Downvote 1