gun and engine sound mods no longer working

Go to solution Solved by angulion,

Today came an WoT update (Jan, 04) so I updated your modpack (1.19.0.2_05) the same to stay up to date. 

Unfortunately gun and engine sounds do no longer work. All silent, except some very quiet grinding noise in the back. Tested several sound mods, all the same result. 

So it could be the modpack or the short WoT update, no idea. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Kepos said:

Ok, thx, will try next. No antivirus, working on Linux. 

Hmm I see, are you on Wine? There was recently some upgrade for wine, maybe it's related to it. In this case attach logs, also make sure you are on the latest modpack. 

Am 5.1.2023 um 11:57 schrieb Aslain:

Hmm I see, are you on Wine? There was recently some upgrade for wine, maybe it's related to it. In this case attach logs, also make sure you are on the latest modpack. 

Sorry for the delay @Aslain and thank you very much for looking into this special Linux issue. Probably other users may get some benefit from resolving it. Unfortunately it wasn't (still not sure if I picked the right logs or found the right folder) easy to find the actual installation folder for the Lutris+Wine drive c : packeges. Using Lutris as base to get the latest Proton stuff, as I'm not that deep into Wine. 

I'm attaching the logs I've found in a sub-sub-subdrive n -folder containing the requested logfiles. The timestamp is fitting, so I guess I attached the right ones. 

Using the method explained for the windows user only opened up a frame containing the right files, but I wasn't able to actually do anything with them, like copy or move, so it was only a view of the right files, but not the actually files. Just to explain the problematics finding the right folders, while running WoT with Lutris and Wine on my Arch Linux. 

So, yes, using Wine under Lutris. Your modpack, latest availible from this website, installs fine starting it with Wine installer. All the required game folders seem to be found. Your installer takes his time to show the checklist seems to me like a Wine background operation causing a slight delay, but the installation is fast. 

Actually I de-checked the sound files for 1. engine sounds and 2. gun sounds until I can solve this issue properly. 

Besides the sound-mod-issue, I also encountered following two issues:

- in-game tank icons do not match the checked ones from the modpack

- research tree icons and carussel tank icons do not match the checked (Aslain + golden premium tanks, but also no others from that list are working for me) 

Installation for the modpack runs until 99% then I encountered following issue lined out in another thread covering a snapshot to explain. Seems the installer isn't aware of the needed paths and therefore the installation of those icons do not work. I for myself do not know what to choose on that frame, so I only quitted that frame and the installation finished.  

Edited by Kepos
open information - allready downloaded
  • Upvote 1

Hello..

I am the one responsible for the recent upgrade to hopefully make the installer work also under Wine.

Checked your logs and for some reason my fix did not trigger.

From log I am guessing you are using Linux Mint with its Cinnamon DE, should not matter.

At first I wrote a long reply, but decided to make it an own topic instead, so please check it out and follow it 

If you still have problems, we can continue here. What I mentioned about SET at end of other post very much interests me. 

Hi @angulion, well, I tried the terminal order, but got no output for it. 

env | grep -i wine

I'm not really sure about the SET command and where I should use it. Sorry, but I'm not really into Wine, therefore I do use Lutris on top, what allows me to simply point and click Proton  support in when needed. 

vor 2 Minuten schrieb angulion:

In Lutris with WOT selected, click the Wine-glass next to "Play" and select "Open Bash terminal". A white terminal-window should open, copy&paste command above there and it should output a bunch.. 🙂

Ok, nice, that one worked. Thank you for the help. 

Here is the output:

$ env | grep -i wine
WINE_MONO_CACHE_DIR=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/mono
GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/lib/gstreamer-1.0/
WINEESYNC=1
WINEARCH=win64
WINEPREFIX=/<hdd>/<name>/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder=
WINE_GECKO_CACHE_DIR=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/gecko
WINEDEBUG=-all
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/lib:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/lib64:/usr/lib:/usr/lib32:/usr/lib/opencollada:/usr/lib/libfakeroot:/usr/lib64:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/Ubuntu-18.04-i686:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/i386/lib:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/i386/usr/lib:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/Ubuntu-18.04-x86_64:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/amd64/lib:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runtime/steam/amd64/usr/lib
WINE=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/bin/wine
WINEFSYNC=1
WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1

Since this line:

WINE=/home/<mycomputer>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64/bin/wine

is present, my fix will trigger, provided installer is ran with right wineprefix etc. (ie. like in my guide).

Personally I run the default "lutris-7.2.2-x86_64" wine-runner in Lutris for WoT.

Is btw the "<mycomputer>" something you changed afterwards to hide your user account (totally ok and good!), or how you have it? user account having < > characters might not be wise. I guess you changed - the installer logs reveal. 😉 

vor 19 Minuten schrieb angulion:

Since this line:

is present, my fix will trigger, provided installer is ran with right wineprefix etc. (ie. like in my guide).

Personally I run the default "lutris-7.2.2-x86_64" wine-runner in Lutris for WoT.

Is btw the "<mycomputer>" something you changed afterwards to hide your user account (totally ok and good!), or how you have it? user account having < > characters might not be wise. I guess you changed - the installer logs reveal. 😉 

Yes, changed that afterwards. I'm not comfortable with posting my real data here on the open forum. So...seems I have to delete the log files then. 😜

As with the wineprefix stuff, I only used that as command line for Steam games, but I'm totally lost about it with Wine or Lutris, so I better use Proton which sounds quite familiar for me playing most of my time on Steam. 

• Solution

Always wise to hide personal details on the internet.. 🙂

Anyways, running WoT via Lutris is fine, good. Aslains modinstaller however needs to be ran within this same "container*" - Lutris makes a separate "container" for each game. To do it, you want to copy the Aslain*.exe installer someplace where the game is (/<hdd>/<username>/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks/drive_c/Games/) and in Lutris clicking the Wine-glass and "Run EXE inside Wine prefix" executed. 

Personally I avoid spaces in directory names, but I'm an old fart from times when they were not allowed 😄

* with container I do not mean docker or containers on servers, just that the game install is kind of separated from everything else.

• Upvote 1
vor 40 Minuten schrieb angulion:

Always wise to hide personal details on the internet.. 🙂

Anyways, running WoT via Lutris is fine, good. Aslains modinstaller however needs to be ran within this same "container*" - Lutris makes a separate "container" for each game. To do it, you want to copy the Aslain*.exe installer someplace where the game is (/<hdd>/<username>/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks/drive_c/Games/) and in Lutris clicking the Wine-glass and "Run EXE inside Wine prefix" executed. 

Personally I avoid spaces in directory names, but I'm an old fart from times when they were not allowed 😄

* with container I do not mean docker or containers on servers, just that the game install is kind of separated from everything else.

Yeah, the directory name was an old one to seperate GOG, Heroic and Lutris Games. More confusing is that I re-organized my HD's afterwards and got a big one only for Lutris/Wine...unfortunately I do have no clue how to teach Lutris that this first 'LUTRIS Games' was the old one. I was able to switch it inside the Lutris frame, so the Games are found on the new HD, but I still have this awsome old entry... 

Additionally I do have WoT on Steam entry, but they have blocked it from working as I use the same email for Steam and WoT.

So...in fact, the game files are not at ( /<hdd>/<username>/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks/drive_c/Games/ ) but on another HD. A bit confusing, I know, but the only other way around would be a complete fresh install. Having that on my to-do list, when my first nvme arrives on saturday to keep my new /home safe and fast. 

Well, after all this re-installation and re-locating I'm a bit lost, as the drive_c has no 'Games' folder in it.

Catfish search brings me toward this very crazy path: 

LUTRIS Games/Armored Warfare/dosdevices/c:/armored_warfare/dosdevices/n:/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks_EU

Please don't laugh too loud, it's running, updating and produces no other issues. It was just one or my first attempts with Lutris...

Edited by Kepos
vor einer Stunde schrieb angulion:

Great job, this is the solution. By right-click on the Aslain.exe I got a menu to start it with Wine. It worked fair enough to get the mod running, but didn't install all the stuff I've chosen. 

By executing the modfile inside the Lutris container, I got a different checkbox view and all the mods seem to be properly installed now.

I'm so happy and will definitely spend you guys a coffee or two for your great support!  👍

Happy that you got it working. 🙂

A few nitpicks and advices, some might be outside the scope of this forum (aslain...).. 

Regarding the path, which is a mess 😄 :

LUTRIS Games/Armored Warfare/dosdevices/c:/armored_warfare/dosdevices/n:/LUTRIS Games/world-of-tanks/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks_EU

... what can I say, there you have drive_c and Games at the end.. 😉

Within Lutris you can also move a game, right-click game, select Configure and in Game Info you should have a Move option.

I would strongly advice against having a game in Lutris and Steam and... some other place since each is likely to use a different wine/proton version and just confuses you if it works with one and only sort of with another, Additionally they likely have different install directories that they default to.

If it is a Steam-game (WoT is not), use Steam, if Lutris has the game in its library and can be installed from there, use Lutris.

Moving stuff to new drives - get familiar with symbolic links, they might be just what you need in that situation

ln -s src dst

You move a directory to a new drive and make a symbolic link from the old location to the new location so that stuff that looks in the old place will still find it.

Say you have:

/home/<username>/Games/world-of-tanks

and install a new harddrive at /<hdd>/. 

cd  

cp -a ~/Games /<hdd>/

rm -r ~/Games

ln -s /<hdd>/Games ~/

ls -l

lrwxrwxrwx  1 <username> <usergroup>    21 Jan  4 17:28 Games -> /<hdd>/Games

Note that symbolic links do not have permissions since they are read from what it points to. Symbolic links are removed like any file with rm, regardless if it points to a directory. cp -a copies in archive mode, ie. timestamps, permissions etc. are all preserved. Since you move the directory to a new drive, you cannot use move, but copy & delete instead.

-angulion

• Like 1
vor einer Stunde schrieb angulion:

Happy that you got it working. 🙂

A few nitpicks and advices, some might be outside the scope of this forum (aslain...).. 

Regarding the path, which is a mess 😄 :

... what can I say, there you have drive_c and Games at the end.. 😉

Within Lutris you can also move a game, right-click game, select Configure and in Game Info you should have a Move option.

I would strongly advice against having a game in Lutris and Steam and... some other place since each is likely to use a different wine/proton version and just confuses you if it works with one and only sort of with another, Additionally they likely have different install directories that they default to.

If it is a Steam-game (WoT is not), use Steam, if Lutris has the game in its library and can be installed from there, use Lutris.

Note that symbolic links do not have permissions since they are read from what it points to. Symbolic links are removed like any file with rm, regardless if it points to a directory. cp -a copies in archive mode, ie. timestamps, permissions etc. are all preserved. Since you move the directory to a new drive, you cannot use move, but copy & delete instead.

-angulion

Very grateful for your support @angulion and I do strongly agree, that the above mentioned path 'was' a mess. In fact, as soon I got my new nvme drive running this saturday, I migrated my /home and did a reconstruction of the world-of-tanks path. Reasoning behind was, that if something is going wrong, I'm already in the position to do a complete re-installation. So, I got a totally free SSHD, which stored my former /home, to migrate that WoT game into. 

I am not totally sure what created that path mess, but as you could see I also installed Armored Warfare and migrated both games to a new drive. Weather I missed to change the path on that case or Lutris messed it up itself, I can't say for sure. As it was running, plus I already planned my /home migration I kept the mess for a while until I had the physical storage ready. 

Yes, it was quite easy to let Lutris do the migration. I wasn't sure if it also migrates the data or only re-constructs the paths, so I did a copy/paste job before and ordered a migration within Lutris. As the migration job counted around 30 min I think it also migrates the files or in my case verified the data and bended the path to the new installation path. Started WoT with the new path and a fresh installed Aslain modpack from that container and it worked as well. 

As for the bash migration, I'm leaning more on rsync, which in case is a very powerful tool, which I used to migrate the /home with all it's flags etc.  But I will have a look on the more conservative route you lined out above. As for now my WoT path is now fully re-newed and of course shortened to fit the common path again. Still not sure about the Armored Warfare stuff, which is still a bit confusing and still containing parts of the very old path from the first old hd, but that would be a new interesting project in the nearby future.

As for the WoT Steam installation, it was my first attempt to use Steam's Proton without digging too deep into Wine or lateley into Lutris in my case. As I do use the same email for Steam as for my WoT account it unfortunately failed to start. 

Thx again for your generously provided hints @angulion  😊 

Edited by Kepos