Update Checker is totally broken

Update Checker is totally broken. Also I have received 2 inaction report because of this stupidity?

Firs I am a developer. I've been working with python for about 5 years.

ALWAYS use try/except!!! If you have enclosed all the code and let it fail and may be just log something inside the logs instead of ridiculously crashing the game I and may be more people would have not been reported...

Also, Yes python dynamic typed and you may not care a lot about types but it is al strong typed and you MUST take into account that the type may be different. You can't just write "a + b" and hope for the best.....

The actual log:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "scripts/common/Lib/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner

File "scripts/common/Lib/threading.py", line 504, in run

File "python\scripts\client\gui\scaleform\daapi\view\lobby\settings\ModSettingsAPIUpdater.py", line 31, in checkForUpdates

TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

Re-installing and cleaning everything (which completely wiped all my settings  <_<) and unchecking the updater fixes the issue. Also redoing all my setting is quite annoying.

Sorry I am angry, but i received 2 reports because this simple problem, and if best practices were used it would have been prevented!

Cheers

_Aslain_logs.zip

python.log

• Administrator

You said you are 5 years experienced programmer, then you should figure it out that update checker is consist of two files:

- updater.pyc

- updater.xml

Run it, and tell if you see erros...

Next time be carefull before accusing the people.

Hi,

Apologies again. As i said i was quite angry as this is a pretty easy to prevent. And must be done by any developer.

I will report this in the thread you sent me.

Please feel free to close or delete this post.

P.S. 

Thanks for the super fast reply!