Contours not displaying

I just picked up Aslain's mod pack and find it to be very useful, although it has some limitations.

My current issue is that the installed POGs stat contour mod doesn't display. When I first installed it, it would only display on the inBattle player lists and the battle statistics tab, but I would only get the default contour icon in the hanger tabs (it's used to show which tanks crews are trained in) and on the Over target Marker.

When I tried to fix this, I installed Ashbane's instead, but found that none of the icons worked anymore. So I reinstalled a few more times to try and fix the problem, lost the OTM contours, then started clean installing it to no avail.

I then spent 2 hours trying to trace where the contour icons were supposed to be stored and what the current contour 'pointers' were supposed to be, but they look fine. It should be doing everything okay.

For 2 followup questions, how does Aslain's installer interact with files already in res_mods? I was assuming it'd overwrite just individual pieces, but I've cycled through several OTM markers and lost several functions. Is there also a depository for just manually grabbing the individual files without XVM/Aslain integration? That's my biggest dislike of the installer setup. For instance, I had to download meltymathmod to find that it was the gutted hack version that had half of the functions missing, especially the armor calculator. Ew.

If you need additional information to respond, don't hesitate to ask.

The issue with your OTM/contour icons might be a problem with Aslain not fixing download-links to the correct icons.

Regarding to the installation method, one should always use "clean install" (which deletes old mod content from the res_mods folder, before putting in the stuff from the installer) and, during the time of patches, using the option to "delete DLC cache" is also advised (as it gets rid of outdated mods, that you've downloaded previously).

"Clean install" should ensure, that all previous mods are deleted before installing newer/updated ones.

So there is no hybrid/clutter of mods/files.

And, afaik, Aslain is using a distilled version of Melty's, modified to his liking.

If you want to use the full version, you should try to get it separately.

• Upvote 1

The issue with your OTM/contour icons might be a problem with Aslain not fixing download-links to the correct icons.

The download urls that the exe uses to extract files? Maybe, although I can go to res/contouricons/regular/ and find most (!?) of the icons just fine. It just seems to be a problem of XVM being prevented from directing WOT to the correct folder, somehow.

If you want to use the full version, you should try to get it separately.

Unfortunately, Meltymath has gone through at least... 3 replacement curators? The last I knew (around 9.10), the latest guy gave up and there was a community effort on the EU servers to try and get the parts together. In fact, the reason I switched to Aslain was because somebody said he got it fully functional in 9.10-13(?) AND he had POGS/Ashbane. So it's effectively dead outside of the neutered variant that everyone claims as the full package.

Edited by TotenMaus

I didn't know about that and I apologize for referring you to that option.

I guess, that there is not much of an option for you then, apart from using the skimmed down version, that Aslain has to offer.

Aslain's is heavily dependent on other modders (whether they decide to continue to work on certain mods or not) and he is still trying to offer most of the benefits to everyone anyway.

So, there's little one can do about the lack of support for certain mods.

When Aslain wakes up in the morning, he might give you his 2 cents on the matter but I doubt there's much he is going to do about it - he's not developing mods after all.

Might have to just live with limited functionality, for now, or switch to a different mod altogether - if you're not satisfied.

Well, that's not my biggest issue. The issue I'm trying to get fixed first is that the contours that aren't showing up at all.  Although, at this point, it seems as though a lot more than the contours broke as I continue testing/playing.

I'm also getting that json error that's been popping up. I'm going to try and install it to another directory, then roll it all into res_mods manually.

edit: Kudos to aslain for a handy dandy uninstall shortcut. That just saved my ass, I think.

Update

13MAR16/10:13PM

Well... It's ugly, but Manually installing it to a kosher directory, then throwing that into the correct spot fixed pretty much everything.

Only problem is it still only works inside of a battle.

New question! How do I direct XVM to replace the contour icons in the hanger? I suppose it has something to do with iconset.xc?

Edited by TotenMaus

Tbh, this sounds like one of the issues where the mods aren't installed correctly.

Even Aslain (an educated IT guy) tends to rule out errors on his side and blames the individual PC-setups (which is likely to be true).

Something must have changed recently, either with 9.14 or Java or other security tools, as some (mostly NA people) seem to encounter issues.