Can Place Holder Mods be Created and Used if a Mod Breaks Due to a Patch?

Losing hundreds of individual ship specific settings/variables from a mod if its is removed due to a patch breaking it is frustrating.  This is a foreseeable event.  NBD for most mods, they just disappear for a few days. 

But a few mods have individual ship specific settings/variables.  When these mods are removed due to a Patch all these ship specific settings/variables are reset to blank.  When the mod is patched and I play each ship, these settings needs to be reset to my preference.  With over 400 ships this can take weeks/months. 

Mods that have settings/variables for every ship are - 
1) "Improved Primary Crew "
2) "Minimap by BattleFrame"
Any others I have missed.

Can the Mod creators make a temporary non-working replacement mod, that keeps all settings/variables in place, in case a patch breaks it?  Now when the patched mod is added back to Aslains it will work again with all ship variables intact. 

Aslains installer may need to automatically swap in the temp mod if/when it breaks.  idk how much effort/work this involves.  I did note WG ModStation leaves each mod in-place but greys them out when broken.  Now when this mod is patched and I rerun ModStation it is still check marked and installs correctly.  I remember "Guns Caliber in Inches" mod was often removed due to a patch breaking it.  This mod was removed from my installer but "Lady Commander Names" mod was checked and install it instead.  When "Guns Caliber in Inches" was patched I would have to manually recheck it and uncheck the "Lady Commander Names" mod.

@Aslain is there a file containing these settings/variables that I can copy to another disk?  Then bring it back when the patched mod returns?

Thanks for looking.

PS.  Log files do not seem needed here because its not regular bug.

• Administrator

Majority of mods are keeping their settings inside:  preferences.xml, it's the same file where the game is keeping their settings as well. There is also userprefs_DamageMeter.json inside profile folder, this file keeps coordinates for Damage Indicator, and that's it. You can secure those files, if you feels like it.