FPS drops in battle

When the problem occurs: every battle, tank/map/mode don't much matter except for frontline being worse.

Problem: when playing the game, my FPS will randomly drop from 60 (110-120 without vsync) to 30-40, although it looks more like 15. The issue overall gets worse the longer a battle goes on, but it's NOT consistent. Worth noting that the game never crashes, just runs badly until I'm back in garage.

Is it mods or the game? Mods for sure. If I load the game in safe mode (no mods) it runs perfectly.

The problem is much worse in 4k borderless window, though not fixed in others; fullscreen mode makes it a bit better, and windowed mode changes nothing. I haven't tried it in 1080p, but I never had this problem before I switched to 4k.

I've tried removing certain mods to try and narrow down the culprit, but the only pattern I can see is that it runs bad with mods and runs fine without. If relevant, I use 2x interface scaling (mandatory with a big 4k monitor lol).

I suspect I'm using a couple of mods that conflict with each other, but I have no idea where to start figuring out which ones.

Hardware: Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 4070 Ti, 32GB RAM, game and windows are installed on (separate) NVME drives. 

Aslains_WoT_Logs.zip

• Administrator

Attach replay and provide timestamps when you experience fps drops, so I can try to compare it with my PC, otherwise it will be hard, especially that is random as you stated. Random issues are the worst.

From what I see your mod setup is mostly XVM, and XVM may reduce fps, however your PC is not that weak to justify it, maybe 4K has its impact indeed.

If I can suggest something except for typical "update you pc drivers", try without that section:

image.png

Sorry for the late reply, been a busy few days.

I do have the same issue in the replay as I do in-game (FPS drops roughly the same amount and same time as the replay), and removing those XVM mods did not change anything. 

All I know to try now is reinstalling the game, but that's unlikely to fix it and I have slow internet so I really don't want to lol

Edited by tmaaan54
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how useful this info is since it's not in 4k, but my laptop with the exact same mods (copied from the desktop) and 1440p doesn't have any issues with FPS. 

Another thought, could it be the 4k screen itself? It's a roku TV so I wouldnt be that surprised if it's the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The RoKu TV can be the problem because the data first has to be up-scaled from the WG-HD...
WG flashes here with glitter to be able to play the game in 4k (~4,000 pixels).
But the fact is that with the old game engine on which the game is built and cannot be changed at its core, it can only achieve a little more than 2K (~2,160 pixels/vertical).
Even with their graphics tricks, additional software and graphics boosters, they effectively cannot achieve 4K in the game - this is controlled by the players "Hardware/Software" on their device.

Since it is a smart-compatible device with ultra-resolution, it naturally "sucks" enormously on the PC's graphics card because it is "under-challenged" - and - its own graphics unit to re-scale the data again, from scrap WG to Cinema mode.
However, it can of course also be due to the graphics card drivers if they are not up to date.

It is also known that some graphics cards are not, or not particularly, compatible with wargaming games. GeForce Experience lists these "incompatible" cards, while AMD/ASUS and others require a laborious search on the manufacturer's website.
Sometimes you can also find it by searching Google for graphics cards/PC sets.

What surprises me, however, is that the effect doesn't occur if all mods are deactivated - normally a sign that one or more mods are causing this.
The search is likely to be difficult, or at least lengthy...

I still hope you enjoy the game,

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Well, due to some life issues I won't be on my desktop for a bit, and won't be using a Roku TV when I do (could've brought the TV but lolno)

Guess I'll just come back if the problem happens again?

Edited by tmaaan54
24 minutes ago, tmaaan54 said:

Well, due to some life issues I won't be on my desktop for a bit, and won't be using a Roku TV when I do (could've brought the TV but lolno)

Guess I'll just come back if the problem happens again?

if you have any issues feel free to make a post,
even if it is not mod related there is maybe someone here that could help.

• Like 1
Am 09.01.2024 um 19:37 Uhr sagte Theolitius:

Wenn Sie irgendwelche Probleme haben, können Sie gerne einen Beitrag verfassen.
Auch wenn es nichts mit Mods zu tun hat, gibt es hier vielleicht jemanden, der helfen könnte.

That's right, we are now a very large community in which there are many people who are knowledgeable in many areas.
WOT Special
  • 1 month later...

Got my desktop set up again, and the issue is still there. I did some troubleshooting, so here's all the info I could come up with:

3 monitor setup, not identical ones (game monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCK1K44F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)

computer internals are the same (Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 4070 Ti, 32GB RAM, game and windows are installed on (separate) NVME drives.)

windows 10

modpack and graphics driver updated as part of troubleshooting (no noticeable effect)

pretty sure the list of mods hasn't changed

GPU and CPU temps haven't gone above 80C so no throttling is happening

I've tested if win10 game recording matters (it doesn't)

when the FPS drops, GPU usage drops as well (lower FPS=lower usage)

today's testing was with a slightly laggy replay (not nearly as bad as the one I posted a while back)

Standard graphics: maxed out (for standard), dropped to 190 or so FPS at worst, usually 250-300fps, frontline still gets down to like 50fps (but that's frontline lol)

Improved graphics: also maxed out (prior testing showed this doesn't matter), could hold ~150fps with 99% gpu usage, dropped down to 30-60fps

I didn't bother testing with safemode today, but I figure it's pointless because we already know it's mod-related.

Guess I'll be playing at 4k 144hz.... in standard graphics LOL

EDIT:

turns out that replay was less laggy than I thought. I played a match on standard graphics (not in frontline) and it dropped down to 38 at one point.

It was mostly able to hold 144fps, but having the tanks.gg armor viewer open seems to drop it by like 10-15fps?

I don't always have that page open so I know it isn't the main issue, but that's specific enough maybe somebody can figure out what's going on?

Edited by tmaaan54
more info