WoT Modpack update to 1.24.1.2 is in progress... ×

Incredibly slow download speed

I just downloaded the 9.10 mod pack and am installing the pack now. However it for whatever reason is downloading the mods at an insanely slow speed. like 8-15 kb/s, I have 50m/s internet, there is no reason for this. Anyone else see anything like this?

Well it's still downloading slow NOW. So a lot of people getting it at once excuse is over with. And it's been going slow for me since around 7:30 pm EST on 9/3.... yet the first 9.10 modpack aslain put out downloaded normal for me (which should have been the slow downloading one, not this one or the last one).

Edited by TekNicTerror

Well it's still downloading slow NOW. So a lot of people getting it at once excuse is over with. And it's been going slow for me since around 7:30 pm EST on 9/3.... yet the first 9.10 modpack aslain put out downloaded normal for me (which should have been the slow downloading one, not this one or the last one).

First up a server load excuse is only an excuse when there is no load to the server at all. As a webhosting provider I can tell you that load balancing is always an issue whether we (the providers) or you (the users) like it or not. A lot of money and technical expertise is involved if you need to deal with these types of loads. 

As money issues and freeware usually go hand in hand, it is kind of obvious that 1 DLC server can't handle the immense amount of requests sent by hundred thousands of users simultaneously all requesting large files.

There is also a window in which the server tries to recover from these immense loads. There are ways to get the download speed back up but there are NOT free of charge. The ones that are however, mean that the hosting provider would have to bounce all incoming connections when a set limit is reached.

Furthermore you can never tell which version will be the most demanded one by the masses. Some people wait for a certain mod to be re-included in the modpack, which causes a higher load than usual in return. 

There is no such thing as a version that should be downloading slower than the other.

I hope to not have offended anyone but in my opinion these kinds of remarks show a lack of technical insight, which causes me to get annoyed with people who clearly have no idea what on earth they are talking about or don't even bother to think.

PS Keep them downvotes coming imgurians :')

• Upvote 1

I left for work this morning and when I got home it had been running for 6 hours and was only 300mb in to a 480mb download. It froze up at some point and now I have to re download it from the beginning again. The download speed did increase to 40kb/s, so estimated download time is 3 and a half hours. I've never seen this from you guys and to be honest I'm about to go download solo's or something.