Major FPS loss after recent update.

Downloaded the patch released 12.10, last I had downloaded was 03.10.

Getting very laggy gameplay, down towards 40 fps, it's been getting generally lower since 9.9 was released which gave me a huge fps boost. No mods I'm still running 100 fps. But with the aslains mod xvm + modpack settings + otm reload I'm getting 40 fps on certain maps. It is utter horrible to play with. And it is horrible to play without mods. Help, what can I do?

• Upvote 1

Downloaded the patch released 12.10, last I had downloaded was 03.10.

Getting very laggy gameplay, down towards 40 fps, it's been getting generally lower since 9.9 was released which gave me a huge fps boost. No mods I'm still running 100 fps. But with the aslains mod xvm + modpack settings + otm reload I'm getting 40 fps on certain maps. It is utter horrible to play with. And it is horrible to play without mods. Help, what can I do?

I have the same problem with gtx 960 oc strix intel core i5 3570k 4,00 ghz, begining with 60 fps and later lag with 40 fps and i solve. Dont install minimap in HD, delete all folders with name of maps in this location "Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.9.10\spaces". Im trying delete all mods 1 per 1 that can be used in battle, and find the solution. I hope work for you.

Edited by spenta89
  • Upvote 1

Grandorf I saw the same issue, and I run the game on an SSD, so defragging is less than useless. It seems to have improved when Aslain switched reload counter mods.

No, defrag is never useless. Only thing is that SSD has a limited 

write amount. Thats why unnecessary defrag on SSD 

is not recommended.

The reason you defrag is so that all of the blocks that belong to a file are all lined up, so that when the drive rotates it can pick up as many blocks as possible without having to "seek" or move to another location. If the data is all spread out the head will have to move around a lot more to find the data it needs, causing a higher latency as the drive waits for the head to move, and then for the platter to spin to the location of the data. SSDs work more like ram, where where it takes roughly the same amount of time to resolve and fetch from ANY memory location. This sort of breaks down when you have a very large number of random requests, as the drive becomes bottle-necked by the controller,  and how many IOPS it can preform, where as sequential data does not need to resolve new addresses, so data will be transferred at the maximum rate if possible.

As for why defragging is bad for SSDs, those blocks do have a finite number of writes, and on older drives with older controllers those blocks could wear out relatively quickly, so unnecessary writes should be avoided. Newer drives use various technologies and algorithms to ensure that data is written evenly to all blocks so that some do not wear out faster than others... in other words it places data all over the place, which is the EXACT OPPISITE of what defragging does. 

Check out this article that shows that after trying several defragging programs, none showed any performance gain on SSDs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?page=2

Also as a side note, defragging is only marginally useful now that we have multiple terabyte drives and modern operating systems. Data is generally written sequentially until the drive starts to get full, usually around 85%... and most people don't fill these large drives. On top of that windows 7/8.1/10 automatically select an optimized location for the data to be stored and move other data to make room if needed. In other words it will clear a space so the data being written can be written continuously and sequentially, meaning that when you go to defrag, the work is more or less already done.

Source: I'm a computer engineer 

@Clemming

Yes we have come a long way since I started with computers. 

The firmwares and softwares (OS) that runs both old disks and SSDs 

are very capable of keeping some good order on those disks, mainly 

because of the large sizes as you mentioned. 

So thats why we start untangling a problem from the most easiest to do 

and something thats helping in 90% of cases. 

We dont get much feedback when somebody solves a problem and thats 

unfortunate for everybody in this forum.

Hi and thank you for this great combo of mods, but after 0.9.10 i have been having huge fps problems, i ussualy have graphics to max and with mods an avrage fps beetween 65 and 70, after the new update i have huge fps loss making the game so incredibly laggy that its unplayable, when i uninstall the mod pack i have fps back up to 95-110 so i tried to go install one and one mod, everytime i have fps loss, but i have narrowed the problem down to the xvm, but when i dont check the xvm options inn the mod it still gets installed. how can i use the mods only without xvm as it is xvm that is fucking up the fps, have seen several other people  having the same problem and fixed it with removing xvm. so tips would help here :)

@Aslain

I noticed the drop on a system that I had that was heavily CPU bottlenecked, FPS were lower than expected because the GPU was waiting on the CPU, wargaming has not really figured out multi-core support... On the system I have no I don't hate that issue, but there is a higher CPU utilization with the modpack running vs vanilla... It may just be the added CPU load is exasperating a bottleneck issue, or creating one on marginal systems... You may not notice a drop because you have sufficient headroom, but on every system I have plaid on I have noticed a small drop in FPS modded vs. unmodded. usually only 5-10 FPS.

Now I fixed the problem by uninstalling the bar armagomen life and mod mini-maps in HD :rolleyes: , now I have no sudden drops in fps :) , maximum 62 minimum fps 57 fps, with graphics to the fullest, I apologize to Aslain say it was his settings of "XVM" sorry brother :unsure: . And thank you for your work ;) , for me, it is the best Modpack :D .

Now I've finally solved the problem by deleting this file "mod_newsights.pyc" is in the folder  "C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.9.10\scripts\client\gui\mods", there maybe some conflict with some sights mods, now that I've removed everything returns to run smoothly. Ty to all for your help, and thanks aslain for your modpack.

What crosshair have you installed? Have you tried to not delete this file but to try different crosshair?

i install jimbo + arty (sowrd of damocles) and minimalistic + arty (sword of damocles), i try install another external mods sight and the problem persist, when i delete the file, the game run at 60 fps.

• Administrator

All battles on Himmelsdorf, as Grille spg.

1st try - my config with Jimbo+Sword combo, when I started up, I had 88fps, then the more I play the less I get, after 2mins it was 55fps, and lowest value I saw was like 47.

2nd try - removed newsights.pyc only, and played another battle, had similar results, maybe average fps was slightly better, but not much.

3rd try - just j1mbo crosshairs, and my xvm config, started up with 110fps, then it get down to around 70ish.

My guess maybe it's not newsights but some crosshairs are made like that. Play with different ones, preferably these that are not based on the newsights.

It's not XVM, also I do not have fps drops at all.

I have to dis-agree with you buddy, because I have major respect for your work and I 99% of the time only use your mod pack because it is excellent, however it really does effect FPS sometimes and I can never figure out which part of it is doing it. I know this because this the OP if I go vanilla my fps jumps up about another 20, also if I quickly try some other mod packs which don't have no way near as great features as yours I don't lose the same amount of fps as I do running yours.

But I am still an extremely happy user and will always remain doing some, my only biggest bug bear of yours is the constant daily updates and my mod pack spamming me it's out of date lol :-) wish you would do them weekly instead of nearly daily unless critical I spend more time installing mod pack than playing :)

• Administrator

I have to dis-agree with you buddy, because I have major respect for your work and I 99% of the time only use your mod pack because it is excellent, however it really does effect FPS sometimes and I can never figure out which part of it is doing it. I know this because this the OP if I go vanilla my fps jumps up about another 20, also if I quickly try some other mod packs which don't have no way near as great features as yours I don't lose the same amount of fps as I do running yours.

But I am still an extremely happy user and will always remain doing some, my only biggest bug bear of yours is the constant daily updates and my mod pack spamming me it's out of date lol :-) wish you would do them weekly instead of nearly daily unless critical I spend more time installing mod pack than playing :)

Well, I didn't experience any fps drops at the time of that post, also nobody really attached logs with bad-fps situation so I could not verify that, and with my own mod setup I do not have fps drops.

Check whole topic, not a single log, and without logs I can read and forget it in the most cases.... :)

So to sum it up, with my XVM config only I don't have fps drops, sorry that you have, I have NO INFLUENCE on this :)

• Administrator

Played another two battles in spg, 1st one with Harpoon 3 crosshair + my config and mod setup, 2nd one default client + my config and mod setup, crosshair. 

1. fps was 108-66 fps

2. fps was 120-88 fps

Harpoon 3 is not using newsights but totaly different scripts, and still....