General DLC server bug reporting. (Downloading issues only, not for 404 errors)

• 1 month later...

Using 1.20.0.0_12

Loads application fine, select mods, then when it goes to download then it gives error " Download failed: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response. Check your connection and click 'Retry' to try downloading the files again, or click 'Next' to continue installing anyway. "

Any suggestions on fixing?

• 4 months later...

Ran into a DL issue with latest 1.21.1 -- but only with the tankcorpses archive.   The DL times-out and throws an error.   When I go to the URL directly as in:

http://repo.nature.town/WoT/tankcorpses_tanks_grey_MCT_1.21.1.0.7z

the DL occurs BUT -- it is momentarily interrupted then resumes.   All other archives download fine.   Archive integrity appears to be ok

There is another error on install but I will post that separately with the log file -- could be related to this.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, Aslain said:

With VPN? Try with VPN.

I can try VPN -- but I have to ask:  Is there something that VPN is expected to fix, since a VPN simply traverses the same connections (until it gets to the backbone) and just makes it look like the route has fewer hops -- or is that perhaps the suspected problem, too many hops?   

I'll give it a shot and see -- but I can tell you that a download of that same archive via URL is successful, it almost seems to indicate a timeout intolerance of the installer that made need to be tweaked.   But I'll try the VPN

UPDATE:   VPN did not change the behavior (connected to Copenhagen just for grins).   Installer errored on the same archive -- tankcorpses_tanks_beige_MCT_1.21.1.0.7z.

When I download via browser/URL the download pauses, then goes into "resuming" mode.   The browser recovers from teh pause but I am guessing that whatever tool is being used to perform the download is not handling the pause well and calls it a timeout rather than going into resume mode.    

as another test I tried a browser download of Enh_Camo_pold77_9.17.1.7z which is 10x larger.  There was no pause/resume.  I tried on another package and no pause/resume.   For me, at least, it is this one package.

Sorry -- I should have been clearer -- what are you using on the client side to handle making the download requests?   

On the server side -- most hosting sites use nginx to load balance amongst multiple download servers.   

• Administrator
1 minute ago, kupjones said:

Sorry -- I should have been clearer -- what are you using on the client side to handle making the download requests?   

On the server side -- most hosting sites use nginx to load balance amongst multiple download servers.   

inno download plugin

21 minutes ago, Aslain said:

inno download plugin

Having never used Inno before -- I took at the source code and there appears to be options in the Inno DP that allow setting various timeouts:

{ "ConnectTimeout",   [[Time-out value, in milliseconds, to use for Internet connection requests.     
                              Can be set to <tt>Infinite</tt> to disable this timer]],                                    "</tt>System default{note-3}<tt>" },
        { "SendTimeout",      "Time-out value, in milliseconds, to send a request",                                       "</tt>System default<tt>" },
        { "ReceiveTimeout",   "Time-out value, in milliseconds, to receive a response to a request",                      "</tt>System default<tt>" },

I'm not suggesting that you do anything to change your setup -- just that these options are there.  I am more inclined to believe that there is something going on within NGINX that requires a restart -- they cache frequently called for downloads and it is quite possible that the cache image is corrupted on one of the servers in the rotation or within NGINX itself.   But that is just supposition on my part.

BTW, Inno Setup is a neat looking package -- I'll have to dive into it some more 😉

• Administrator

@kupjones Hmmm, now that you mention it, I actually changed some timeout values in the IDP (Inno Download Plugin) about a week or two ago. You can give that a try; it should have my previous values from the older modpack. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p9SZ0NE2PY4r83Ke7gF7VMvpmWux6xIc/view?usp=sharing

In this version I doubled the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds, and removed SendTimeout and ReceiveTimeout which I added and set to 5 secs.

same thing happened -- and its only that archive.  This really leads me to believe that it is something on the server side.  I have one more test to try (a diff PC) to see if it does the same thing.   I suppose I can also switch my ISP connection -- but then I would expect that to effect all downloads, and they are not.   

@kupjones Thank you for your effort into debugging and giving us as much information as you can.

I cannot reproduce your problem after running downloads and extracts thousands of times on all DLC servers in the ring from various locations around the world.

None of the downloads timed out or ended up corrupt. But this is using purely curl/7z to verify, I cannot properly/automatically reproduce the installer because Windows/GUI stuff. I also cannot reproduce situations where the line has tons of packetloss/jitter, maybe I could simulate but that's out of the scope for a problem only 1 person seems to have.

Is this problem still happening for you?